Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

The bloke that wrote that article is obviously an idiot, there are a few things wrong with his list.

1. AU Falcon - We all know his comments are basically rubbish. Styling is subjective and down to personal taste, radiator is an issues afflicting nearly all Aussie built cars for the past 15 years, Head Gasket woes are non-existant, transmission is quite the opposite of what he says considering BA rebuilds generally use an AU trans and I still can't figure out what he means by them blowing thermostats???

2. Datto 120Y - Yes it was horrible but it showed an entire generation around the world that there was an option. It was reliable and cheap, it really did change the motoring world. Especially in Britain.

3. Hummer - He's clearly talking about the original. Clown, it wasn't built to impress you. It was built to do a job. A job it did well, there just happened to be a market that opened up for it in the US and that market was taken full advantage of.

4. The Magna - If they really were such a failure then why, over 20 years later, are there still a heap running around doing daily duties. They were epically popular and opened up the market for Mitsu in Australia. Hardly a failure.

The others I do agree with but not really for the reasons he listed. it's quite clear that he has little to no motoring knowledge or interest.

EDIT: Stuff it, I've emailed them my thoughts.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #32
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
You expect reviewers to be credible and have the correct facts I found this review most disappointing.
Rupert's pups don't have a requirement to be credible, factual or unbiased.

The decent reporters migrate to decent employment.
Hacks stay with Rupert's rags and write these nothing pieces.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #33
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

NEVER LET THE FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY HEY NEWS LIMITED
Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #34
Dezza
Parts bin special

Wow. One of my cars is regularly in worst cars lists, and now my new one is in one of the lists too! I must be doing well in life! lol

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #35
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezza
Wow. One of my cars is regularly in worst cars lists, and now my new one is in one of the lists too! I must be doing well in life! lol

Haha... 2 from 2 Dezza.. well done!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
Haha... 2 from 2 Dezza.. well done!
Haha. Ah well, just as long as I like them.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 06-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #37
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This writer needs to put the crack pipe......down. As mentioned already, he doesn't know what he is writing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd

Simply put, AU was built by the Engineering Dept, BAs were what happens when the Execs let the Marketing Dept have their way......

Cheers

James
B-series was a rush job as the AU was failing hard (which is funny that the AU1 actually made a profit).

But either way the AU doesn't deserve to be in this list there are much much worse cars then that. AU got on that list due to looks pure and simple.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #39
Mr_Monty
Noctunral by nature.

I vote Korean cars such as hyundai/daewoo/Kia goto the top ten and early mitsubishis.

the XF is ugly... the AU is just... ROUND. nuff said. its like coffee and tea when it comes to looks, come people love there tea and cant stand the coffee, the body is well built and practical.

To all those who think its ugly, go cry in the corner, it has the best windsor and the best sohc 6. if you want pretty go buy a holden make it pink and go play with ur barby dolls and dont forget ur T wing.

+1 for AU reliability.

98 Au V8 Forte (1500 kilo car) LSD, Pacie comp extractors into pacie cats into lukey 3" exhaust, New ecu, Powerbond street balancer, injectors, tyres (on 17" tickford rims form factory) Slotted and cross drilled rotors front and back, New radiator and hoses new crank position sensor and cam sensor plus gear, new leads and iridium plugs and new accel coil packs.
New S5 solenoid.
plus flash tuner (SCT X3 flash tuner)
Mr_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #40
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

Ugly and pretty cars are all a matter of opinion... I would hope this 10 Worst list is based off of technical data, rather than looks, otherwise I know my dream '69 Charger Daytona wouldn't be fairin' too well :P

Out of all of them, I'm honestly suprised about the H1 making the top 10. It was a purpose-built military support vehicle, not a civilian car. Though, I will admit that they're mechanical unreliable, and the Yanks have been looking to offload them and get replacements for quite some time. Anyone remember Wacol Prison here in Brisbane buying 8 ex-military ones, and how much they regretted that decision?? :P

Anyways, I'm sure there's a heap worse cars in the world other than the ones listed... As much of a lemon the AU is said to have been, out of every car ever produced, I doubt it'd have even made Top 100 worst.
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
The bloke that wrote that article is obviously an idiot, there are a few things wrong with his list.

1. AU Falcon - We all know his comments are basically rubbish. Styling is subjective and down to personal taste, radiator is an issues afflicting nearly all Aussie built cars for the past 15 years, Head Gasket woes are non-existant, transmission is quite the opposite of what he says considering BA rebuilds generally use an AU trans and I still can't figure out what he means by them blowing thermostats???

2. Datto 120Y - Yes it was horrible but it showed an entire generation around the world that there was an option. It was reliable and cheap, it really did change the motoring world. Especially in Britain.

3. Hummer - He's clearly talking about the original. Clown, it wasn't built to impress you. It was built to do a job. A job it did well, there just happened to be a market that opened up for it in the US and that market was taken full advantage of.

4. The Magna - If they really were such a failure then why, over 20 years later, are there still a heap running around doing daily duties. They were epically popular and opened up the market for Mitsu in Australia. Hardly a failure.

The others I do agree with but not really for the reasons he listed. it's quite clear that he has little to no motoring knowledge or interest.

EDIT: Stuff it, I've emailed them my thoughts.
100% whole heartedly agree, let us know your reply if you get one Russ
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #42
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

me too...
Great post...
I'd be interested in hearing their reply..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #43
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Only thing as bad as a biased motoring scribe is a one eyed brand supporter...
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #44
telstar1

well my au blew a head gasket had it replaced then a month later had to replace the head because it had a small crack in it.
telstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #45
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

The fact the AU is even on that poorly devised list simply points out that a cars failure in creating good public perception instantly destroys it. And that everything about it must be horribly wrong.

The AU is without a doubt the most reliable and well built Falcon ever produced. As far as a second hand buy goes, its the best kept secret in Australia. And im loving it.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #46
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dr.feelgood you think the au is a lemon?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #47
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

i wonder what the dude wo did the article drives?? probably a daiwoo??

the au probably didn't get the award for the hardest looking ford but i think the ts modes look hard..(is that au based??) and didn't the ba get its appeal from the au?
anyways, i like the au fairmont ghia..

magna.. we had an oldi, which had a design fault in the timing chain.. saying that, it lasted 300000km's as a daily ride.. still managed to pull chicks in it...
lol...
anyway, i still see some of these cars on the road..

how bad can these cars be? if you can get laid in them they can't be that bad..

Last edited by motorcycles4eva; 07-09-2010 at 01:39 AM.
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 AM   #48
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Only thing as bad as a biased motoring scribe is a one eyed brand supporter...
Considering I drive a pug yet have made comment I can't see how this post was necessary nor relevant.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #49
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
Dr.feelgood you think the au is a lemon?
Oh crap, whoops!! I always get my modern Fords mixed up... I'm thinking of the EA. From what I've heard from people that've owned them, they're trouble.

Disregard my comments about the AU
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #50
crdave
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
The fact the AU is even on that poorly devised list simply points out that a cars failure in creating good public perception instantly destroys it. And that everything about it must be horribly wrong.

The AU is without a doubt the most reliable and well built Falcon ever produced. As far as a second hand buy goes, its the best kept secret in Australia. And im loving it.
I agree, while everyone else reads these rubbish reviews we in the know can buy good reliable cars at a great price. We win.
crdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #51
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood
Oh crap, whoops!! I always get my modern Fords mixed up... I'm thinking of the EA. From what I've heard from people that've owned them, they're trouble.

Disregard my comments about the AU
I wouldn't call either of them trouble... and I own both. The EA's been a good car to me, but it is a SeriesII. Most people think all EA's were trouble but it was only the early ones. The AU's been faultless in my 3 weeks of ownership lol

Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar1
well my au blew a head gasket had it replaced then a month later had to replace the head because it had a small crack in it.
well yours appears to be a rare one, but they are getting a little long in the tooth now,however it does`nt take a lot to make any engine fail, lack of maintenance, abuse, poor choice of lubricants, coolants will do it, or one thats been put together poorly.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:39 AM   #53
urbancowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
there is nothing worse then a EA
Cough Cough VN Commodore!

In my younger days i had pity & would assist those fools who had broken down in them, now i just keep on driving.

why didn't the FWD Ford Capri make the list? With its pathetic leaky soft top.
Or Alfa's, no particular model just in general they rust and the electrics fail badly!
Um
Ford Taurus
FWD Gemini
Citroen's, again no particular model's!
Current model Mitsubishi Triton, pathetic turning circle
Current model Ford Ranger/Mazda Bravo everything about it feels like a elastic band!
Anything with a "Flappy padel" gearbox
Mitsubishi 380
Etc. Etc.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #54
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
But either way the AU doesn't deserve to be in this list there are much much worse cars then that. AU got on that list due to looks pure and simple.
Is it really ugly though or are people still parroting what others said when the AU was launched in 1998. Compare an AU1 Fairmont Ghia to a VT Calais (or even a BA) and see how good the AU has aged (excluding the AU1 low series).
I was closing on a Mercedes C Class (W203, launched in 2000) the other day on my motorbike, my eye sight isn't the best but I thought she was an AU Falcon from behind. Theres no denying the similarities, much like the CLS launched even a few years later.

This article is further proof why journalists shouldn't be trusted as far as you can throw em.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Is it really ugly though or are people still parroting what others said when the AU was launched in 1998. Compare an AU1 Fairmont Ghia to a VT Calais (or even a BA) and see how good the AU has aged (excluding the AU1 low series).
Looks are a personal thing. I like some AU's and dont like others.
But all I was trying to say was that car gon the list cause of its looks cause it wasn't a lemon of car...the VT1 on the other hand was.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #56
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Anyone that doesnt include the Hillman Hunter in there top ten worst list needs a bullet,back in 89 i had a Ducati 750 Sport (what a joke) that had a Hillman Hunter carb somehow stuck in the middle,it was the Hillman of motorcycles without doubt.Fwiw theres plenty of others you could put way ahead of some on that list,stuff like non power steer Nissan Sentras in 88 were givin away for less than cost at the time,happily i was at the time selling Toyotas for a living.
98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #57
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 1999 au1 ghia has still got its original radiator,headgasket,hoses etc etc, has been the most reliable car i have ever owned.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #58
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS
Anyone that doesnt include the Hillman Hunter in there top ten worst list needs a bullet,back in 89 i had a Ducati 750 Sport (what a joke) that had a Hillman Hunter carb somehow stuck in the middle,it was the Hillman of motorcycles without doubt.Fwiw theres plenty of others you could put way ahead of some on that list,stuff like non power steer Nissan Sentras in 88 were givin away for less than cost at the time,happily i was at the time selling Toyotas for a living.
hey , hey , hey, my partner used to own a hillman hunter safari wagon , that little thing was reliable as , went pretty good too. spearmint green the colour.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post