Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ski Boats

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any of you guys are into water skiing and the like?

I am looking at getting a ski boat soon and want to know if anyone has any recommendations in regards to brand of boat etc. I know I deffinately want an inboard, but what size is best? I have seen a few 302's and 308's about at good prices, but do they have the grunt? I was thinking a 351 or a 350 might be a better option. I am hoping to have about $9-10g's to play with. What do you guys think?

Daniel

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

We have a Hamilton Jet. I don't remember much more about ti right now, but I think it has the 302 in it. Dad just rebuilt it. I'll get more info from him when he gets home.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like Flightcrafts, they were one of the best handling boats I've driven. Have a look on boatpoint.com.au for a flightcraft liberator. One of my mates had the outboard version which was called the dominator. They were available as a jet, stern drive, V drive or outboard. My brother in law just paid $5500.00 for a Flightcraft Bandit with a 350 with (supposedly) 50 hours on it. its a bit old but its nice to drive and a good beginners ski boat.
Make sure you drive the thing on water before you buy it, if it's too much trouble for the seller tell him you are'nt interested. There is no way to tell what it will handle like while it's sitting on a trailer. I'd suggest going to a marina and driving a couple of boats or get an experienced mate to tag along so you have something to compare it to.
Engine size is probably less important than the way the boat is set up, find one that is nice on the water and you can always make it go faster. A dog is always a dog...
hope this helps,
Regards,
Tote

Last edited by Tote; 27-01-2005 at 12:00 AM.
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey, yea my family is into skiing wakeboarding kneeboarding etc, come to think of it just brought a trick kneeboard. We have a 98 Successcraft Pro 2000, Alsome boat, dad just loves it. As weird as this may sound the guy who owned it prior to us built it himself, brought the hull and did most of it himself being in that sort of trade. Its running a V8 holden engine pushing out 315hp, recently had it out of the boat for 3 months re doing it all, removing the rust everything, repainted it all. It also has a heat exchanger (for salt water without ruining your engine) and a velvet gearbox so you have reverse also, really handy. Anyway prior to this we had outboards dad swears by inboards now and is never gonna go back
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info mate. Problem is I live inland, we have Lake Burrendong about an hour away from here and that is the closest body of water big enough to put a ski boat in! lol.

Is stern drive or V drive the better option? I know the difference between the two, but thats about it.

2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
Old 27-01-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really dislike outboards, they spoil the look of a nice boat, not to mention the fact nothing beats the exhaust note of a V8 reverberating off the water!

2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
Old 27-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lewis Ski Boats http://www.lewisboats.com.au/ when only the best will do.When you see a ski boat to drool over its usually a Lewis.
Old 27-01-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Cheech
HELL YES

Have to agree with deesun

Have used 2 boats in lat 14 years:

Lewis & Camaro.

Highly recommend a centre mount 5.7 mercruiser. strong enough for a 3-up and fast enough for a double-up barefoot run.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_Forte
Thanks for the info mate. Problem is I live inland, we have Lake Burrendong about an hour away from here and that is the closest body of water big enough to put a ski boat in! lol.

Is stern drive or V drive the better option? I know the difference between the two, but thats about it.
Stern drive is basically the bottom half of an outboard bolted to the back of the hull. the advantage is that it gives you the ability to trim the boat with the touch of a button, downside is $$$ if it breaks.
Vdrives and dog clutches just have the prop coming out of the bottom of the hull, cheaper but not as nice IMHO.
My mate's Dominator lunched a 12 month old Yamaha outboard putting a rod through the starter. And it drank fuel, 200 litres for a weekend wasnt uncommon. Went bloody quick and pulled well though, we got 7 skiers up one day (2 on doubles).
regards,
Tote
Old 27-01-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daniel ... I agree you need an inboard ;) .... easier to dodge all the trees when the water is as low as it is in any of the dams out here ........

I will ask Dad tonight what his thoughts are ....... we have had boats out here in the Dams ....... well mainly Windamyre & Keepit ...... but Burrendong isnt that much different ;)

Heheheheheh so is the old girl going to be pulling this boat :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #11
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Yeh, go the lewis, but is u want to go for something older the old Gilflite hull cuts water nicely with the weight of a 350 chev in the rear... Ours sill goes well...

We have only owned boats with the motor rear mounted and have found them to be much more fun, larger wake because of the weight in the rear, although if the water gets too choppy for skiing on the boat can bouce a bit...

Rear mounted engine can also help when u want to cut those awesome doughnuts...

After all, my best resommendation is that u try a few out... do many people ski at your lake? if so, ask them if they would mind u trying out their boat so u can get ur ideas right...

Good luck with ur decision...

Masters

masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #12
flavze

my cousin bought an old chunker with a 272 ford v8 in it for $3000 bucks a month or so ago, hopefully takin tomorrow off of work an headin up the river to do some ski'ing. Aint been for about 18 months so it's gonna be dodgy. Got a week on a houseboat comin up in feb as well.
But he tells me the old jigger keeps up with alot of newer 350's an such out of the hole but gets done up top by em, so he's gonna rip it out an chuck in a mild 351 he's got sittin in his shed.
But don't go nothin expensive an new straight away, get a cheaper boat for 12 months or so an see how much it's gonna cost ya na wether ya really wanna go blow 15, 20 0r 50 grand on a top rig.
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
xr8edute
Thats right baby X-rated

I know what your up against. I am a newish boat owner myself, so I will try to give as many tips as I can from my own experiance.
My boat is a 1988 Flightcraft Liberator with a 351 clevo in it. I paid 10 grand for it 3 years ago. It was from a respectable guy in town who hadn't used it much in the past ten years so ithought it had to be a good thing... wrong. Not using a boat is just about the worst thing you can do. I think the best bit of advice I can give you is.. Don't buy a boat and expect it to be the last large amount of money you spend on it. A boat is just a hole in the water to tip money into, evan if you do all the work yourself.

Now having said all that, here come the good stuff.
As long as you keep everything reliable and well maintained there are few things that beet a good day out the lake.
To prove this- I am just about to order a new skicraft senator wake boat. More fun to be had. Cheers and good luck.

RIP The Gentleman, Peter Brock 1945-2006
I cant believe they demolished that fatefull tree!!!
xr8edute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #14
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8edute
I know what your up against. I am a newish boat owner myself, so I will try to give as many tips as I can from my own experiance.
My boat is a 1988 Flightcraft Liberator with a 351 clevo in it. I paid 10 grand for it 3 years ago. It was from a respectable guy in town who hadn't used it much in the past ten years so ithought it had to be a good thing... wrong. Not using a boat is just about the worst thing you can do. I think the best bit of advice I can give you is.. Don't buy a boat and expect it to be the last large amount of money you spend on it. A boat is just a hole in the water to tip money into, evan if you do all the work yourself.

Now having said all that, here come the good stuff.
As long as you keep everything reliable and well maintained there are few things that beet a good day out the lake.
To prove this- I am just about to order a new skicraft senator wake boat. More fun to be had. Cheers and good luck.

Yep agree with all of this : Poverty is owning a boat
Old 28-01-2005, 12:01 AM   #15
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Shame you live so far away. I was gonna hit you up for a ride when you get your new boat. Anyone from the Wide Bay region into Wakeboarding and the like?
big_waity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #16
Philbie
Drvtme

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Yep agree with all of this : Poverty is owning a boat
I think being married is actually cheaper.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #17
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavze
Got a week on a houseboat comin up in feb as well.
Me too man, when abouts and where abouts ar u goin?

Old 28-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #18
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Shame you live so far away. I was gonna hit you up for a ride when you get your new boat. Anyone from the Wide Bay region into Wakeboarding and the like?
You could always come down my way for a wake board sesh with me buddy... lol...

Old 28-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #19
flavze

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters24
Me too man, when abouts and where abouts ar u goin?
goin on the 5th to 12th of feb, from mannum i think. A mate organised it an i'm a last minute ring in as his brother decided to get married an can't afford it.
I think they spend most their time hangin around "big bend" or their abouts.
This'll be my third houseboat trip, the last two were all bloke, ****up an ski weekends were as this one is gonna be a more sobre cruise an ski week.
One of the couples that is goin has 5 kids under 12!
Old 28-01-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
BJ
Banned

Have spent the last few years helping a freind father restore a couple of old 1940s Chris Craft Duel Colw speed boats, They are powered by old mrecruisers, and have an old Ramsey that i am doing for my self.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 08:17 PM   #21
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I have an old clinker hull 15 1/2 ' "Hull Craft" ski boat, it is a American Hull that was imported here in the late 60's, it has a full "Rollco" marinised L34 spec 308 in it, the old dog clutch, i have spent heaps on it over the years, and i havent used it for 2 years since i broke my ankle.
It goes like stink and puts a lot of modern boats to shame
Old 31-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #22
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
goin on the 5th to 12th of feb, from mannum i think. A mate organised it an i'm a last minute ring in as his brother decided to get married an can't afford it.
I think they spend most their time hangin around "big bend" or their abouts.
This'll be my third houseboat trip, the last two were all bloke, ****up an ski weekends were as this one is gonna be a more sobre cruise an ski week.
One of the couples that is goin has 5 kids under 12!
Awesome man, We goin from the 11th - 19th of feb from Mannum too! Let me know how the week goes when u get back...
Ours ain't gonna be a sober trip, having prend easy 150 buck each on ****, i think we will decide to drink it... there are 11 (or 12) of us goin, should be awesome...
Unfortunately we can't tow our speedboat behind because she has a small crack in the fibre glass and may go under if the bilge isn't pumped out every few hours... :(

Old 31-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #23
flavze

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters24
Awesome man, We goin from the 11th - 19th of feb from Mannum too! Let me know how the week goes when u get back...
Ours ain't gonna be a sober trip, having prend easy 150 buck each on ****, i think we will decide to drink it... there are 11 (or 12) of us goin, should be awesome...
Unfortunately we can't tow our speedboat behind because she has a small crack in the fibre glass and may go under if the bilge isn't pumped out every few hours... :(
Yeah the last two trips were a ripper on the ****, cost more in **** than boat rental!!! Nothin like ski'n all day than layin in the spa on the top open deck half the night drinkin **** an talkin shit with ya mates!!
What boat ya goin on? Not sure what one i'm goin on yet. But i know the unforgettable company hire ski boats out as well, dunno bout any other ones.
Old 31-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #24
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

A friend of mine just arrived back after having a week or so in a House boat up at Echuca,cost them an arm and a leg $3,600 but split up between 4 couples works out to $ 450 each.They had the best time ever he said.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter

Last edited by GTP 320; 31-01-2005 at 08:56 PM.
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 09:11 AM   #25
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Yeah the last two trips were a ripper on the ****, cost more in **** than boat rental!!! Nothin like ski'n all day than layin in the spa on the top open deck half the night drinkin **** an talkin shit with ya mates!!
What boat ya goin on? Not sure what one i'm goin on yet. But i know the unforgettable company hire ski boats out as well, dunno bout any other ones.
We are on the boat called "Clearwater". it is the same as the boat called "Creedence". The owners want to make another one and call it "Revival"... Typical isn't it... Between 11 of us it is costing up $210 each, $150 for grog, hell knows how much for food, and dunno about the petrol...
Anyway, Hope you guys will have fun... You going up stream or downstream? And what us ur house boats name?

Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #26
flavze

Just got back from the houseboat trip, was pretty sweet, some dodgy weather though. To windy an cold to spend heaps of time in the river. The boat we ended up goin on was Fantasy, pretty decent but not as nice as the Unforgettable boats i've been on.
We was parked up just past Kia Marina on fri arvo an i reckon i either Credence or Clearwater heading out, dunno wether it was you or not masters.
Hope ya get better weather than we had.
But i had forgotten how much fun skiing was, gonna have to get more serious bout it again for the rest of summer!!
Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #27
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

AUII _Forte, Would I be correct to assume you are from Dubbo? I just bought an inboard from there on Tuesday. Ramsay Cheetah hull, Holden 308, runs like a dream. There is definatley no lack of grunt with a 308.

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 13-02-2005 at 03:40 PM.
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #28
LUXO_8
windsor user

im going to be looking at getting a fairly late model sterndrive in about a year.
would love a lewis, they look awesome
i was going to get a loan and get one for this summer but i decided to do the stroker and interior up in the NC instead as i dont think it will last another year lol....
so ill get one next year now ..
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #29
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Just got back from the houseboat trip, was pretty sweet, some dodgy weather though. To windy an cold to spend heaps of time in the river. The boat we ended up goin on was Fantasy, pretty decent but not as nice as the Unforgettable boats i've been on.
We was parked up just past Kia Marina on fri arvo an i reckon i either Credence or Clearwater heading out, dunno wether it was you or not masters.
Hope ya get better weather than we had.
But i had forgotten how much fun skiing was, gonna have to get more serious bout it again for the rest of summer!!

Hey mate, yeah, we were on Clearwater and it was awesome... I saw fantasy, a mate of mine said as we cruised past you "it would suck to have kids on a trip like this"... but i had no idea that it was you!!! A fun and care free time was had by all on our boat and we look forward to reuiniting again in a few yrs...

Old 21-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
phill05

Default Ski Boat

Both the brands you are looking at are really good. My in-laws have a Lewis Tornado and its good to drive. It has a 350 chev in it. sne dus an email if you want to know more they are looking at selling it soon.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post