Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Unhappy Dead Fish At Woolongong Nsw

ON the news this morning , there was a very brief notice of dead fish washing up on the beaches of woolongong , and a warning not to fish or eat fish from the area untill further notice . has anyone seen these dead fish?
it's a little concerning as we have been hearing of dead fish all around the earth lately . is this anaturally occuring normal phenomina . which is just more noticed because of internet technology ?

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Maybe it's because of La Nina. Hotter ocean temps killing them off perhaps?

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of fish have been dying in the murray from floods water collecting the oils from eucalypts and other thing it could be the same . They found a 110 year old cod i heard the cod was so big the tail was hanging out of the shovel of a backhoe . Its a certainly a shame
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
FgNewbie
Australia

Some interesting comments and an amateur video clip at
http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/...sanctuary-myth

It was posted a couple of days ago.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Earths magnetic field is in the stage of reversal, one would think this has got to do with the feild. One cannot really explain how...
Same effect with birds if i remmember corectly.

It would all be very hush hush...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's happening in the Geelong area as well

taken from the Geelong advertiser

Quote:
FLOODS have killed thousands of fish, birds and other animals at Geelong's Reedy Lake.

Recent heavy rains have filled the normally shallow freshwater lake at Moolap, dumping dead animals from other nearby waterways into it and sucking away the water's oxygen.

Thousands of dead creatures are now floating on the lake's surface after having drowned or suffocated in the water, which has turned black.

Fish Tragedy Pics Here

Geelong Field and Game member Ray Agg discovered the grisly scene yesterday morning while monitoring his group's bird conservation work at the lake.

"We've got a lot of bird nesting boxes set up at Reedy Lake, and a lot of those went underwater with the floods, so lots of eggs and young duck and ibis chicks have been lost," Mr Agg said. "There are thousands of dead fish and eels all over the place too."

"It's amazing, I've been here since the '70s and I've not seen this before, it's really a shame."

A Department of Primary Industries spokesman said the natural phenomenon was known as a "blackwater event", which occurs when sudden heavy rains sweep plant and other material into a waterway and then leach oxygen from the water as the matter breaks down. This turns the water black, and fish and other aquatic life die from the resultant lack of oxygen.

Ducks, ibis, eels, mullets, bream and European carp - some as heavy as 10kg - were among the dead animals found yesterday.

Mr Agg said it was ironic that the recent downpour of rain could harm, rather than help, some aquatic life.

"Floods can bring a lot of water and create new habitats by filling up lakes, but on the other hand, floods also bring a lot of misery," he said.

According to information on the DPI website, the water's temperature and the amount of present leafy litter and woody debris are two most important factors in blackwater's spread and containment.

Reedy Lake is part of the Lake Connewarre State Game Reserve, which is managed by Parks Victoria.

Parks Victoria ranger Stuart Willsher did not wish to comment on the blackwater yesterday afternoon.

The EPA has also received reports of many dead fish being found in parts of the Barwon River, with the influx of fast-flowing freshwater killing saltwater fish, a spokesman said.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Earths magnetic field is in the stage of reversal, one would think this has got to do with the feild. One cannot really explain how...
Same effect with birds if i remmember corectly.

It would all be very hush hush...
oh dear...
running low on herb supplies?
Old 23-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Herb supplies?? WHO TOLD YOU!

Please dont take that post seriously....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I found a dead fish in my fridge this morning, wondered what the hell was going on.

Then I remembered I had Barnacle Bill for dinner last night. The calamari and prawns were amazing.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just got back from Huskisson this arvo. After a morning stroll along the beach I saw a bunch of decent sized dead flathead washed up on the rocks and sand during high tide.

Not all that de-composed either, dead for between 12 and 14 hrs I'm guessing.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Could be from the brine of the desalination plants. Over salinity will kill fish, and depending on the tides it is not that far from Kurnell to Wollongong.
Further evidence to this, is the estuaries in the area of the Kurnell desal plant have become barren.

Quote: