Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Slow news day? Let's stick the boot into Ford again

Ford will be next to quit Australia, predicts analyst John Wormald
Source: Philip King From: The Australian March 18, 2010 4:34AM

Quote:
FORD will be the next carmaker to quit manufacturing in Australia because "throwing money" at the industry can only work in the short term, a government adviser has claimed.

Subsidies were doomed to fail because the industry lacked a vision for the future and Ford was most vulnerable because it was isolated from its parent's global operations.

"As soon as choices have to be made, Ford is the next Mitsubishi," said John Wormald, principal of international consultant Autopolis, referring to the Japanese company's decision to shut down its Adelaide factory two years ago.

Mr Wormald, who is in Australia to advise the Victorian Government, said the replacement for the Falcon, due in about five years, could be imported cheaply and the carmaker did not need its Melbourne plant.

"Ford isn't short of assembly capacity in other places," he said. "Where's the plan to integrate Australia?"
Has this guy been paying any attention at all to what the USA has had to say? Or is he just another uphill gardener type Holden lackey who's paid to put cats amongst pigeons?

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford haven't really taken too many subsidies, have they? If that's the case then FoA is surviving quite well in the current economic climate without too much in handouts.
Old 18-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Shouldn't there be a law against this **********.
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Clown
Old 18-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't get too excited, it is maybe at worst a wake up call for Ford Aus to push even harder for its fair share of any future GRWD program. L/H drive and exports need to be given as much priority as anything else on the table atm.

Flame me if you want but I am also a firm believer that the I6 (as good as it is) is the handicap of the current Falcon to. The sooner the Duratec V6 comes to the Falcon, the sooner it will have a greater international appeal as well imho. I fear that if Ford Aus cannot crack this nut then the Falcon could easily still go the same way as Magna/380 purely because of numbers. I think that that’s what the author John Wormald is alluding to and it would be fool hardy to pretend otherwise.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Dear F*&%wit,

Ford recently invested over 1 Billion dollars in their engineering operation. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Yours Sincerely,
Common Bloody Sense
Old 18-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are no global economies of scale of manufacturing cars in Australia, and demand for the product is sliding thanks to the shift to smaller cars and issues with the perception of quality of Australian built cars.

Dare I say, I would be suprised if any of the big three remain in Australia by 2030.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
There are no global economies of scale of manufacturing cars in Australia, and demand for the product is sliding thanks to the shift to smaller cars and issues with the perception of quality of Australian built cars.

Dare I say, I would be suprised if any of the big three remain in Australia by 2030.

We know Falcons good till 2015... After that is anyones guess.

Regardless of what Ford invest in Australia they can still move that investment offshore... Sadly Ford Australia dont push the Falcon / Territory hard enough, and dont have a LHD program, these cars would go gangbusters in the likes of the US... But no one seems to want to know about them.

More cars, better quality = bigger market share...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I hope Ford marketing are reading these articles, as they are aimed squarely at them, We have one of the best sixes built in Australia and yet marketing can't seem to get this message across. I have read some of the blogs to the article and some people think they are a gas guzzler, when they are a cheaper alternative to it's nearest rival. Marin Burela should be kicking their butt for letting this happen.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Ford do get subsidies, just like Toyota and Holden.
Ford AU is a little unique in terms of manufacturing compared to Toyota and Holden where none of the cars produced here are exported on mass to any other country (NZ and SA do not count as I said on mass).
Together with the slide in sales of the cars produced here and it doesn't look good.
Ford AU need to if they can quash these rumors some how without revealing confidential product plans. If they don't these articles are only going to multiply and without any concrete word from Ford, what are people expected to believe? The media feed off rumors and "information" so why not pass them some good "news" to publish?
Old 18-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marin Burela came here, stopped Focus production, stopped the introduction of a global V6, is getting rid of the wagon, has not authorised LHD exports to the US or middle east or RHD exports to Europe and keeps saying that Aussies prefer FWD, and is running very low production.

Of course people are going to start jumping to conclusions.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

But he was also the guy that built the business case for Fiesta, had it developed, brought it to market, came to Australia, gave local engine manufacture a stay of execution (and who knows, maybe even a future), secured corporate investment into the EB4, Diesel Territory and LiLPG, returned V8 Supercars to the Ford Oz marketting strategy, hired a motorsport manager, and is bringing the Coyote V8 here in partnership with Prodrive when a V8 Falcon could just as easily have been cancelled altogether.

I believe, as an Australian, that he has the same affinity with Australian tastes and needs as Geoff Polites who many here regard with fond memories. Burela is not the scapegoat you're looking for....

Lukeyson
Old 18-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a problem why does the government waste our money on employing these so called experts.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

ford in oz need to drop the i6 and make v6's for export.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Why would Detroit give FoA $231 Million for EcoBoost and other projects, in the middle of the Global Financial Crisis, if they were going to be closing the joint? Wormald, you're a ********.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #16
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Marin Burela came here, stopped Focus production, stopped the introduction of a global V6, is getting rid of the wagon, has not authorised LHD exports to the US or middle east or RHD exports to Europe and keeps saying that Aussies prefer FWD, and is running very low production.

Of course people are going to start jumping to conclusions.
Good thing we did not build it if the sales of Focus continue to go the way they have.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Good thing we did not build it if the sales of Focus continue to go the way they have.
That'll all change when the new focus gets here. It looks 1000 times better than the outgoing model.

Quote: