Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 
Default does anyone know why and when muscle car prices went nuts??

Does anyone know WHY and WHEN muscle car prices went nuts?? : this is something that has interested me for quite sometime why did the cars prices go nuts its like someone flicked a switch and boom!!!! cars are stupidly over priced.

Coupes and More is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not too sure on this, but i heard it was to do with baby boomers (who are pretty well off these days) wanting the cars they owned as teens again, demand was higher than supply and once a few people started paying outrageous prices soon it became the norm.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
macca13

That and the fact that once the prices started to climb the speculaters got into the act buying up cars in the hopes that they will jump in price.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Prices and demand have dropped since. So its also to do with the state of the economy.

The desirability of the muscle cars make them worth the money, so I wouldnt say the prices were 'outrageous' or 'stupidly overpriced'. But then I'm a baby boomer.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 

when did the prices go nuts? and i personlly believe now is the time to buy them because no one has money to spare anymore.
Coupes and More is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The price of restoring these cars is a contributing factor, to buy one for even 10k that needs a full restoration could easily owe you 70k+ by the end.

You are correct about buying now, i estimate a 40% drop has taken place since this time last year.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Why? Because a lot of people wanted them ......

When? 2003 and onwards .......

Over priced? Only to those that want one but cant afford one. Nope, the prices are spot on as this is what the market says.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST
when did the prices go nuts? and i personlly believe now is the time to buy them because no one has money to spare anymore.
Not yet, the economy is only going to get worse, and when it does it will see muscle car prices drop as owners need to free up some cash and offload them.
I think the prices started to go nuts 6 to 7 years ago and the prices kept increasing untill recently. I personaly own a XAGT and hope the prices plumet, the less there worth the more of them I can own. I don't care about resale value, just love aussie muscle.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

depends which cars we're talking about here. You can pick up xa-xc's pretty cheaply and in decent order, but if you're talking phase 3 xy gt's going for close to a million, then yes i'd have to agree they are rather over priced. Considering from memory they were only 4-5k new? with inflation we'll call that say 30k now. times that figure by 30 and that's what they're selling at auction for. Crazy crap really..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Muscle car boom is like the perfect storm.

I think the single biggest contributor to the price blowout is the internet.
Muscle cars and parts advertised on the net have a wider audience then any magazine or newspaper could ever offer. When you buy something off the net your now competing with the entire country / world to get what you want.
Then ad in cashed up baby boomers, genuine enthusiasts and investors chasing a quick dollar. Put them all in a limited run market for a muscle car or part that is no longer being reproduced and prices can only go one way.

HO prices were another trigger, the muscle car maket is no doubt riding on the rear bumper of every Phase 1,2, 3 and 4 that still survives today.
EBay has played its part as well, just about anything that came off a standard Falcon instantly became a "genuine GTHO part" this happened almost overnight and some parts doubled in price for no logical reason. :
Once part prices went thru the roof, restoration prices had to go up and prices for complete cars had to follow on.
I cant see the muscle car market changing anytime soon.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Teenagers in the 70's who wanted the cars grew up into successfull buinessmen, they started collecting the cars, with owners having the ability of asking more and more.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #12
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

2003 was the year it started to go a little crazy with pricing. In 2002 a mate of mine bought a phase 3 for $50k. I told him he was crazy to spend that much on car he would hardly drive. He sold it in 2004 for $130k and we all thought he had done well. It just went on from there. There were a few stupid prices tossed around at the 2003 GT Nationals in 2003 and it escalated from there to a peak last year. Prices are coming down now but we will never see real cheap prices again as long as supply is far outstripped by demand.
Cheers
Keith
3/93 EB2GT No 204 - Cardinal Red 1 of 88
8/03 BAGT No 395 - Blood Orange
6/08 FGGT No 295 - Octane
3/64 XM 4 Door - Red
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble

Pretty much says it all ...

I don't think Phase 3 prices are going to collapse as hard, but, it certainly has elements of market mania about it.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Funny how the muscle car boom reflected the property boom pretty closely...
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
v8capri8

this is proberly going to upset some people but its just my opinion 1 rich guy liked a car so he bought it and got ripped off in the process word got out to both the sellers and buyers and boom all rich people wanted these cars and all the sellers knew they could make a rather large profit. the gtho phase 3 is an awsome car and a huge part of australian motoring history but there is no way i would shell out 500,000 plus for a car that doesnt even run in the 13s just think of the things you could build/get built for that kind of money you could easily have 5 cars that would out handle out perform and be an overall better package than a nearly 40 yr old falcon

REAL MEN DONT WEAR BOWTIES OR DRIVE IMPORTS
v8capri8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the first part is that the xrgt was one of the first cars that had everything. v8, manual, limited number build, disc brakes and it was sporty. it not only had the power but was a relatively sporty car that ate all the previous conquerers at bathurst. that is one of the reason's the gt's will always be loved and remembered - they moved the motor industry up another notch or two for performance cars
the second part is that they were not necessarily practicle. insurance costs, fuel, hoon like image and especially in the coupe's case not much room for the kids in the back. most who could afford a new car had to choose the more practicle vehicle at the time time, so even some who could afford the gt or ho's went for the common car, though secretly wanting the big banger
over the last 10 years or so, through limited sales in comparison to the family variety versions, and everyone wanting one, the demand has become much greater. throw into that many have rusted to nothing or been crashed and they are more in demand than ever before. the people who could not afford one when new are now in their forties-sixties and having paid off the house, have some disposable income and all of a sudden many more want them than were produced. there was only 22,000 coupes sold new, and yet given the chance to buy one now for around $20,000 you would probably find many more buyers than 22,000. of course you cannot get one for $20,000 now so the very keen are willing to part with $35,000-$40,000 and so the prices go up
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Regarding Phase 3 prices being somewhat immune, does anyone know of any that have sold this year ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it have anything to do with the fact they just dont build cars like they used to. I mean todays cars, even from the late 80s / early 90s onwards maybe be faster, more powerful and technically superior right across the board, but every man, boy and his dog has a modern muscle car that shakes, bakes and can rip a 1/4 mile in under 15 seconds.

But then again, who knows, it might simply come down to the hero factor, and in 30 years my generation will be sorting out a potentially classic BA GTs or VZ HSVs for some stupid amounts of cash.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
heath

has ne one thought about the futrue, by buying cars now to put away for the next generation ?
have thought bout it quite a bit
heath is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heath
has ne one thought about the futrue, by buying cars now to put away for the next generation ?
have thought bout it quite a bit
Probably 90% of people who bought a W427 or BF2 GT Cobra. You rarely see a W427 on the road, and all the GT Cobra's for sale on the net are well above the RRP.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Regarding Phase 3 prices being somewhat immune, does anyone know of any that have sold this year ?
one sold last month for 200,000 if memory serves.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Muscle Cars got expensive just as I had almost saved up enough for one.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #23
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
Probably 90% of people who bought a W427 or BF2 GT Cobra. You rarely see a W427 on the road, and all the GT Cobra's for sale on the net are well above the RRP.

Are any selling for above RRP though?....or do we have to wait for the current round of owners children to grow up and want them? :

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
Kamshaaft

There's no way I'd ever buy either, and I doubt my potential offspring would too.
Old 26-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMFIST
Does anyone know WHY and WHEN muscle car prices went nuts?? : this is something that has interested me for quite sometime why did the cars prices go nuts its like someone flicked a switch and boom!!!! cars are stupidly over priced.

Id say around 2002, a combination of cheap credit and rising house prices making people feel more wealthy.....the opposite is now happening of course and I would expect prices for bread and butter Aussie muscle cars to continue softening for some time.

Cheers Mick
Old 26-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #26
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wheels Magazine 1996 started it all. Front Cover was an HK 327 and an XY GT

The article was all about what a great investment these cars make... that's the first time I ever noticed an increase in interest from the "mainstream".

Prices started spiking after 2000, when Australia hit a massive economic boom. Supply, demand, and a LOT of money floating around.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #27
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I've been watching the auctions and most seem to be passing in over the last 6 months.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad was offered a Phase 3 in 1984 for 22K..... 5 times its new value only 13 years after it was released..
2 years later in 1986 i was offered a nice reef green 1970 XWGT for 12k, still 3 times its new value only 16 years down the track.
Im not sure Factory Musclecars have ever been "bargains" relative to their new sale price.
In todays terms that would put an ELGT @ $200k... NO CHANCE......

Old 26-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #29
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
My dad was offered a Phase 3 in 1984 for 22K..... 5 times its new value only 13 years after it was released..
2 years later in 1986 i was offered a nice reef green 1970 XWGT for 12k, still 3 times its new value only 16 years down the track.
Im not sure Factory Musclecars have ever been "bargains" relative to their new sale price.

That is so true, some muscle cars never were relatively cheap.....I think what we are seeing at the moment is after riding the wave of a huge price boom muscle cars that I affectionately refer to as the 'Cling Ons of factory muscle cars' ie not Series Production hommologation specials or closely related, are simply coming back to more realistic prices as money tightens.

Cheers Mick
Old 26-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #30
Kamshaaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Didn't it hold a record up until about 2005 (Pagani Zonda) for being the only car to never dip below original retail value, or was that just a blue lie?