Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Quads on an AU XR8 Ute. Anybody done it?

Gday all

Im on the hunt for info in regards to a quad system for my ute, going to give it a go and see how it turns out.

At the moment I have a Herrod 2.5" single system on there (Y piece after the cats then goes into 2.5" from there). Im wondering what the best way to go about setting up the new system will be, was thinking either twin 2.5" with each pipe running from each cat then just going straight back (obviously bending round the fuel tank), or whether I should go 3" from the Y piece back (would it fit up ok?), then split into twin 2.5" after the diff?

The second option (split after the diff) is what an exhaust shop here reckons I should do, but they also said twin 3" which I reckon would sound bloody loud and run like crap. I want to keep the performance aspect of it, and Im not *too* fussed on noise - I want it to sound good (I like the sound I have now but wouldnt mind it a little bit louder), but I dont want a bloody big system that is going to lose me power.

I can get Lukey systems thru work, was thinking I could get a 3" Super System catback, then split it after the diff.

Has anybody done this type of setup (quads) before on an AU, if so, what did you use, and how did it sound?

Also, Im assuming new hangers will have to be added for the LHS pipe?

Cheers
b2tf

Old 13-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Falkeen had quads didnt he Aust? Have you spoken to him about it?
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah Falkeen did it, Im just looking up info on what was done there but from memory it was twin 2.4".

I think the main thing I need to decide is whether I go twin 2.5" or just one 3" and split it. At the moment I think twin 2.5" might be the go.

Next thing is whether anybody actually makes it :, I cant find an off the shelf twin 2.5" system for a ute anywhere. Thought Redback might have done one but cant actually find a product listing for them anywhere.

Actually while we're on it, would a sedan exhaust be usable to do twin 2.5"? Obviously itd require modifications but would they be massive?
Old 13-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Austin, just get one made, they will need to put 2 extra hangers for the other side pipe, and you may have to relocate the spare wheel.

Shouldnt cost you that much mate, all you need is cats back, X pipe, 2 offset mufflers,2 hotdogs and quad tips.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Austin, just get one made, they will need to put 2 extra hangers for the other side pipe, and you may have to relocate the spare wheel.

Shouldnt cost you that much mate, all you need is cats back, X pipe, 2 offset mufflers,2 hotdogs and quad tips.
Thanks Phil, spare wheel isnt an issue given I dont have one (the stock 16" wouldnt fit over the front brakes so I got rid of it, havent needed one since touch wood).

I know of a Herrod sedan system coming up for sale soon (same system as what Ive got now but for a sedan obviously), would it be usable? And is an X pipe really neccesary, any particular reason to have/not have one?
Old 13-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sedan systems are totally different mate, and too short anyways, just go custom, much easier and will look better, all you need is a good exhaust joint to do it.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
Sedan systems are totally different mate, and too short anyways, just go custom, much easier and will look better, all you need is a good exhaust joint to do it.
"good exhaust joint" being the hardest part about it all up here:
Old 15-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am pretty sure RDP did a system ... albeit in QLD ... and you can retain the spare tyre as well (even with the larger sized spare).

Might be best to speak to them. They have done a lot of work with the utes.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Went to a local shop here today (probably the best one in town in terms of reputation), and this is what they recommended:

Keep Y piece on current exhaust
flange it out to 3"
fit 3" in 2x 2.5" out muffler at end of Y piece
run twin 2.5" back to end of ute
X Pipe it somewhere (he wasnt 100% on where but can be done)
then mufflers etc

cant remember the exact setup he recommended for the rear mufflers but it would be deep and reasonably quiet until you give it the berries (so not stupidly loud), which is how I want it.

Was qouted $750 with me supplying my own tips.

A few questions:-

X pipes - Ive heard of H pipes and X pipes. Whats the difference, is one better than the other etc.

Is twin 2.5" going to be too big? Ive seen it/heard it on sedans and it sounds good.

The muffler after the Y piece worries me a bit as I dont want it to be a restriction. Ive seen the actual muffler the guy recommended and its bloody huge in terms of inlet and outlet, but Im just worried that the exhaust will end up going out then in then back out again, and I dont want a bottleneck. The guy was sure it wont be and he did know his stuff from the sounds of it, but what does everyone else think?

Otherwise, does it sound ok? This is all mandrel bent btw.
Old 15-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Went to a local shop here today (probably the best one in town in terms of reputation), and this is what they recommended:

Keep Y piece on current exhaust
flange it out to 3"
fit 3" in 2x 2.5" out muffler at end of Y piece
run twin 2.5" back to end of ute
X Pipe it somewhere (he wasnt 100% on where but can be done)
then mufflers etc

cant remember the exact setup he recommended for the rear mufflers but it would be deep and reasonably quiet until you give it the berries (so not stupidly loud), which is how I want it.

Was qouted $750 with me supplying my own tips.

A few questions:-

X pipes - Ive heard of H pipes and X pipes. Whats the difference, is one better than the other etc.

Is twin 2.5" going to be too big? Ive seen it/heard it on sedans and it sounds good.

The muffler after the Y piece worries me a bit as I dont want it to be a restriction. Ive seen the actual muffler the guy recommended and its bloody huge in terms of inlet and outlet, but Im just worried that the exhaust will end up going out then in then back out again, and I dont want a bottleneck. The guy was sure it wont be and he did know his stuff from the sounds of it, but what does everyone else think?

Otherwise, does it sound ok? This is all mandrel bent btw.
I run a v8 jag with an after market one off as follow , twin 2.5 pipes with xover behind the box and a simple split after the diff into 4 2.25 pipes , mufflers are glass pack straight through and it is quite with a bark when stamped , perhaps you might sell the existing and start again ? ( cost me less than a grand at mates rated headers back with decent cats)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
I run a v8 jag with an after market one off as follow , twin 2.5 pipes with xover behind the box and a simple split after the diff into 4 2.25 pipes , mufflers are glass pack straight through and it is quite with a bark when stamped , perhaps you might sell the existing and start again ? ( cost me less than a grand at mates rated headers back with decent cats)
Sounds like an alright setup. I should have clarified - the new setup would mean the entire Herrod catback will come off the ute. The only part that will stay on there is the Y piece after the cats - the rest will be removed, and will be up for sale. If anyone wants it, PM me now and when it's time to have the job done they'll be on their way. It's a Herrod stainless 2.5" system and will be ready to go, done less than 70,000kms.