Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-07-2024, 12:40 AM   #1441
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

I don't mind pop tops.

I would prefer a full height van for the ensuite because it provides better separation from the living/sleeping area and also a better shower head height (I'm tall).

Having said that they are not deal breaker things and due to other factors already mentored, we'll likely get another pop top next.
Old 13-07-2024, 12:45 AM   #1442
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Am I the only one that prefers poptops to full height? I love the ventilation the pop top vinyl windows provide.
I had a 16 ft Avan pop top which was great,bit less wind resistance,probably didn’t get blown around as much in side winds.Now have a rigid gooseneck which tows so much better than the towbar type
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2024, 05:37 AM   #1443
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Trevor nice van you got there, I wish I could upgrade to a full height caravan, but the height of my carport stops me, my pop top Jayco caravan still does the job adequately for the two of us.
Currently I'm on a 10 week holiday up in QLD.
Cheers

funny you mention 'carport' as I have to back my van under a pergola through into the backyard (we live on a 1050 sq mtr block). When we purchased the Goldstream pop top I went off the sales brochure for height, measured the pergola and thought we are fine, until I got the van home and went to back it in. They didn't allow for the solar panel and antenna on the roof, so I had to hire a scissor lift and lift the ends of the gable up, not a big job, just a pain. Well, we sold the Goldstream and bought a full size van. Crusader brag about being them 6' 8" inside, I knew straight away that was going to be a problem backing in under the pergola again, so hired the scissor lift again, lifted the ends on the gable AGAIN, got the van home and it went it nicely, such a relief lol
Old 13-07-2024, 05:44 AM   #1444
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooy View Post
G'day Guys,

I just spotted this thread and thought I would share a few photos that you might enjoy.

We do a fair bit of traveling with my two old Fords.

My 1974 XB GT - Running a 400hp Cleveland (LPG and 98 thankfully) & TKO 5 speed

I have travelled all over the country in this car over the last 20 years. So far we have done 56,000 miles. I only need to get to NT and then I have driven it to every state!

These days it is usually towing the 1952 Don Caravan my grandparents bought new.

Our most recent trip with the van was the south coast of NSW.

But we did tassie without the van at Christmas.

imageXB GT and Don Euroa 2023 by Stewart Perry, on Flickr

My 1974 Ford Transit - Running a warm 250ci non x flow (Also LPG and 98), a 4 speed GM Auto and mk 2 disc brakes

We did a 7000km trip to qld with this setup in 2022 and had a good run.

image20220926_125632 (1) by Stewart Perry, on Flickr

Happy camping everyone! Come say G'day if you see us out and about.
good onya and happy travelling. We carted our 4 kids over most of Australia when they were young. They are all now copying us with their kids. 2 are off to Cape York in a month or so

I love your setups, well done. My son and I were given a 1957 bond-wood caravan that was under renovation, we wanted a motorbike trailer, we pulled it down and used the chassis for a bike trailer. I so regret that now, with a little bit of extra work I could have made it workable again and towed it behind my XP Hardtop to shows etc

We saw an ex XB hearse in Townsville last year towing a van, it also had a mild C351 in it. Here is a picture, he tows his van everywhere with it, zoom in on the back window

Last edited by Trevor 57; 13-07-2024 at 05:50 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2024, 05:49 AM   #1445
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Am I the only one that prefers poptops to full height? I love the ventilation the pop top vinyl windows provide.
Our Goldstream was a poptop, we loved the van, very very well made. As we were doing lots of 'real off-road' I wanted a pop top to keep the height down going into the bush. We found the pop top great in summer, but hard to keep warm in winter. We have been known to go into the Victorian high country in the middle of winter (we had a gas heater).

Anyway our needs changed and my back is buggered, so we have just gone to a full size van. We just a did a couple of days up on the Murray, overnight temps down to -1c. This van is so much easier to keep warm at night and no where as much condensation inside. We actually purchased a 12v/240v humidifier to catch the moisture, but it hardly collected any. It was a real problem with the pop top
Old 13-07-2024, 10:15 AM   #1446
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Our Goldstream was a poptop, we loved the van, very very well made. As we were doing lots of 'real off-road' I wanted a pop top to keep the height down going into the bush. We found the pop top great in summer, but hard to keep warm in winter. We have been known to go into the Victorian high country in the middle of winter (we had a gas heater).

Anyway our needs changed and my back is buggered, so we have just gone to a full size van. We just a did a couple of days up on the Murray, overnight temps down to -1c. This van is so much easier to keep warm at night and no where as much condensation inside. We actually purchased a 12v/240v humidifier to catch the moisture, but it hardly collected any. It was a real problem with the pop top
When we had the poptop we would put the roof down on really cold nights.heated up much quicker,but condensation was there either way
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2024, 03:59 PM   #1447
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
funny you mention 'carport' as I have to back my van under a pergola through into the backyard (we live on a 1050 sq mtr block). When we purchased the Goldstream pop top I went off the sales brochure for height, measured the pergola and thought we are fine, until I got the van home and went to back it in. They didn't allow for the solar panel and antenna on the roof, so I had to hire a scissor lift and lift the ends of the gable up, not a big job, just a pain. Well, we sold the Goldstream and bought a full size van. Crusader brag about being them 6' 8" inside, I knew straight away that was going to be a problem backing in under the pergola again, so hired the scissor lift again, lifted the ends on the gable AGAIN, got the van home and it went it nicely, such a relief lol
When I rebuilt my carport, I never gave a thought for a caravan which was unfortunate for me, to alter my carport which is over 12 meters long is too big of a job, especially when it is connected with my existing house roof.
End of the day the pop top caravan serves it purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic
Spot on, the side wall vent openings are great in the hot & warm weather, open all four up along with the windows sure does make a big difference, great for free camping.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2024, 10:03 PM   #1448
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I haven't posted in here for a while...

Did an overnighter a few months back and kept it to the basics.

A single swag will do the job...

Gotta have pie cooking and a beer ready for when setup is complete...

No need to miss out on the footy when the boys from IT come along and setup their Starlink and screen...

Breakfast anyone?

All cooked on an Induction Cooktop running off my 200ah Lithium Battery and 1500W Inverter...

Old 13-07-2024, 10:48 PM   #1449
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's my Bathurst set up, swag on a strecher under a fold up gazebo. I got an enclosed 6x4 trailer, roof rack, fold down table on the passenger side. 12v battery, solar panel, Engel in the back i I don't take my car
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #1450
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Were heading off to the Flinders Ranges this Saturday for a week of R&R.
We were going to stay at Wilpena but decided on Rawnsley Park Station instead as its part of the Discovery group we're members of.
Its only a 15 minute drive to Wilpena anyway.

Plan is to drive up Saturday, not sure wether we'll go via Sterling North along the highway or up through the Clare Valley and Orroroo, drive time being similar towing the van.

Booked in for tra at the Woolshed restaursnt Saturday night, having a chillout day Sunday followed by the full day drive loop to Blinman and Parachilna Gorge on Monday and some local sights and a walk in the pound on Tuesday weather permitting.
Then relax for the rest of our stay.

Just completed the headunit upgrade/relocation for maps, got new Ironman upper control arms going into the Prado on Thursday to correct the geometry after the Toughdog adjustable 2" lift and having a Stedi roof mount lightbar and work/rock lights fitted Friday.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #1451
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Were heading off to the Flinders Ranges this Saturday for a week of R&R.
We were going to stay at Wilpena but decided on Rawnsley Park Station instead as its part of the Discovery group we're members of.
Its only a 15 minute drive to Wilpena anyway.

Plan is to drive up Saturday, not sure wether we'll go via Sterling North along the highway or up through the Clare Valley and Orroroo, drive time being similar towing the van.

Booked in for tra at the Woolshed restaursnt Saturday night, having a chillout day Sunday followed by the full day drive loop to Blinman and Parachilna Gorge on Monday and some local sights and a walk in the pound on Tuesday weather permitting.
Then relax for the rest of our stay.

Just completed the headunit upgrade/relocation for maps, got new Ironman upper control arms going into the Prado on Thursday to correct the geometry after the Toughdog adjustable 2" lift and having a Stedi roof mount lightbar and work/rock lights fitted Friday.
Whenever Ive gone up there its via stirling north via the Quorn road. I like that drive. Last time I was there driving the motorhome with my late father in early 2020.

The Rawnsley Park station is a good one too. Good facilities and everyone gets a view of the hills.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #1452
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was never the camping type until i hit my 30's. Those roads were fun to drive the XR8 and Tornado though

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: