Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Juzman

Default AU rough ride - worse than older BMW...

I'm not sure why, but my 2000 AUII futura seems to have quite a rough ride (just clicked over 100,000kms)

Its on standard 16s, 30psi and the shockies are fine... but something is amiss because my friend has an older 98 s-series BMW with lower profile tyres, more kms and yet you feel the bumps far less in his car...

I'm just wondering if there is something wrong with my car, or just simply that BMW have much better suspension than AU fords? What can I do to make the ride more comfortable? Can I upgrade the suspension? Did Fairmonts get better suspension?

Its starting to annoy me... I love my car, but don't want the cringing with every bump...

Juzman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Checked your shocks lately?

Oh and I'd have 36-38 in the tyres as well
Old 22-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't 36-38 be high for 16's? I'm running my 17's at 38?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

32-34 in the tyres and check your shocks.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
32-34 in the tyres and check your shocks.
Personally, I run 34 to 36 on 16s (36 front, 34 rear). At 100k, the shocks are probably at the end of their useful life, so if they haven't been replaced them, now is the time.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Scott

It's odd that you find a car with low tyre pressure & worn out shocks to have an abrasive ride. With your description, I would have expected you to say "this thing is a lounge suite, how do I make it stiffer".
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Hoops
I'm Back

Comparing BMW suspension with an AU is not a fair comparison in my opinion, as stated above i would be looking at the shocks
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 01:27 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

As 'GTP006' said, it's odd you'd find the suspension harsh if the tyres are low and the suspension is old. This usually produces a very soft spongy ride.

BMW's do have very good suspension, which is very compliant, yet controlled at the same time.

The AU's suspension isn't up to the Beemers, however it isn't to shabby either.
The front ends are quite decent and the rear watts link is ok.

In any case, the main culprits will likely be shock condition and tyre age/quality.

I wouldn't have any lower than around 36psi in the tyres, 30psi IMO is way to low.

BTW, you mentioned the shocks are fine. What made you come to that assumption?
And are the springs standard or??
Old 22-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Juzman

Well in regard to the shocks, I did the age old test of pushing hard down on each corner of the car and to see if there was more than one "bounce" and there wasn't, it also got a full service a few weeks ago and all suspension came back ok...

Surely putting the tyre pressure up from 30 to 36 would make the bumps even harder?

My car seems to be getting worse... I never used to notice the bumps as much. Even my dad commented the other day, saying that my car had a bumpy ride...

Standard springs...

I might just stick some Koni or Bilstein shocks in to see if it helps... also tyres will need replacing in 10k or so which might help again...

I was planning on going up to 18s, but if the ride is annoying me atm, 18s will just compound lol
Old 22-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Why is everyone saying put the tyres to 36+? They're only 16s. Will probably start wearing down the centre if you go too high. Just put in what Ford says on the tyre placard. They didnt do millions of kms of testing for nothing.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Juzman

Cheers for the advice guys... new shocks and soon new tyres will probably help
Old 22-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzman
Well in regard to the shocks, I did the age old test of pushing hard down on each corner of the car and to see if there was more than one "bounce" and there wasn't, it also got a full service a few weeks ago and all suspension came back ok...
The bounce test isn't always conclusive, as if the valves are blocked they will pass the bouce test. The bounce test mainly shows if they are are to soft from leakage, etc.
Quote:
Surely putting the tyre pressure up from 30 to 36 would make the bumps even harder?
Yes, but only marginally.
Higher pressures are much preferable than low pressure.
You get better fuel economy, tyre life, better handling, etc.
Many car manufacturers provide too low pressures because it creates a smooth spongy ride, which Joe Average happens to like.
Enthusiasts know better.
Quote:
My car seems to be getting worse... I never used to notice the bumps as much. Even my dad commented the other day, saying that my car had a bumpy ride...

Standard springs...

I might just stick some Koni or Bilstein shocks in to see if it helps... also tyres will need replacing in 10k or so which might help again...

I was planning on going up to 18s, but if the ride is annoying me atm, 18s will just compound lol
AU's tend to ride fine 18's.
It does sound like the shocks are at fault, but maybe you should talk to a decent suspension place and have them take it for a drive.
Old 22-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Why is everyone saying put the tyres to 36+? They're only 16s. Will probably start wearing down the centre if you go too high. Just put in what Ford says on the tyre placard. They didnt do millions of kms of testing for nothing.
Ford are notorious for quoting low pressures. They do that because Joe Average likes the smooth sponge cake like ride.
Enthusiasts know better.

Talk to a good tyre dealer, or better still try it yourself. It makes a world of difference.
Your fuel economy will improve, tyre life will improve, handling, etc.

It also depends on the brand of tyre, some like very high pressures and just keep on feeling better the higher you go.

I don't think I've used less than 36psi on any car I've ever owned in the last 20+ years.
Old 22-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Ford are notorious for quoting low pressures. They do that because Joe Average likes the smooth sponge cake like ride.
Enthusiasts know better.

Talk to a good tyre dealer, or better still try it yourself. It makes a world of difference.
Your fuel economy will improve, tyre life will improve, handling, etc.

It also depends on the brand of tyre, some like very high pressures and just keep on feeling better the higher you go.

I don't think I've used less than 36psi on any car I've ever owned in the last 20+ years.
100% agree!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

38 pound here
original front shocks - over half a million kays old
ride is just starting to get a little bit loose, but quite ok really.
btw 39,000ks on current set of tyres - i'd estimate i've got an easy 20,000ks left in em, mainly thanks to 38psi.
Old 22-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #16
HLC
Audi S3

i keep my tyres around 38psi regardless of size.

my car is riding on lowered springs with the origianl shockers ~184k old. and it rides like its on choppies in the rear, bouncing and crashing over bumps. the fronts are fine but!
Old 22-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
Juzman

Yeah, its a constant tradeoff dilemma between performance and comfort... either way the new koni shocks will be better than the stock shocks fitted (esp. after 100ks) and so should feel better... if I'm happy after that I might head up to 18s.

16s look out of balance with the rest of the car, imo 18s are the minimum to fill out the wheel arch enough... ideally you'd go higher... but then you've got almost no comfort from the tire wall...
Old 22-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

ideally, any new spring, with appropriate shockers to suit, whether they be monroe, ultima, koni, whatever, will be far superior to old clapped out springs and shocks.

it all depends on what you wanna spend.
Old 23-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another vote for better tyres , i would also say tyre pressures can also be determined by what sort of roads you mostly drive on, for me goat track = a little less pressure freeway = a little more.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post