Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Who watched the Hall of Fame tribute match?

It was one of the best games of Footy I've ever seen. It was a fast free-flowing game which was extremely exciting. The skills on the display were out-of-this-world and no suprise really. Also, no suprise to see Victoria play a very Geelong like game considering the coach.

I hope that this game was such a success that it was garner up a lot of discussion about the whole State of Origin concept. I for one absolutely miss State of Origin and from all reports, so do most of the players. Another positive was that fact that it was relatively injury free.

Overall very happy and proud of the big V! What more could an ex Victorian Geelong supporter want living in SA after the 20 goal Port belting in the GF?

Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
boss-290

It was a fantastic match. I do hope they make it happen more frequently.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

yep i watched and i am a patriotic victorian and geuss what

WE STUCK IT RIGHT UP THEM
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
was relatively injury free.
The one person to get injured had to be Kerr. As if West Coast dont have enough injuries as it is. :
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
The one person to get injured had to be Kerr. As if West Coast dont have enough injuries as it is. :
ohhhhhhhhhh

BOO HOO

NAH JUST JOKING MATE
THINK JOSH FRASER FROM THE WOOD'S WAS HURT AS WELL
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Kerr is serving a suspension anyway, so even if his injury were to keep him out for a couple of weeks it makes no difference other than maybe his preparation at training.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Kerr is serving a suspension anyway, so even if his injury were to keep him out for a couple of weeks it makes no difference other than maybe his preparation at training.
They reckon he's fractured his leg so it'll be a while before he's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
BOO HOO
:
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
They reckon he's fractured his leg so it'll be a while before he's back.

:
On the footy show Doc Larkins reckon he'll be out for about 3 to 4 weeks. Josh Fraser is the other one who may be out for a while. If any of these guys are out for a substantial period of time you can bet the coaches will NEVER let the players play anything like this again. My solution, play a State or Origin carnival every second year after the season is finished.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was one of the best games of Footy I've ever seen. It was a fast free-flowing game which was extremely exciting. The skills on the display were out-of-this-world and no suprise really. Also, no suprise to see Victoria play a very Geelong like game considering the coach.
Best games of footy ever? Come on...you can't have seen many games.

The game was scrappy, with packs forming everywhere, much like pigeons chasing crumbs. The team who cleared was the one with loose men around the packs.
Although Victoria tried to play like Geelong (i.e. a risk taking game that is meant to play dividends), the players struggled as it is hard to adopt a different style of game in the space of a week. There were far too many turnovers to be considered a quality match.
It was nothing more than a hard-fought contest that will only be remembered for the fact that it was the return of Victoria as a team in the AFL. There have been far better State of Origin matches.

For me, the best part of the game was Fevola standing up, and Goodes really taking control in the second half with his confidence as he ran opponents off.

In terms of quality, it was terrible, bar a few spectacular marks.

I have seen far better games.

In terms of exciting...the match means nothing. It's fabricated.
Reality is that players want the premiership cup and a premiership medal...not a state jumper. I was sitting there thinking, "This does not compare to watching my own side play."

In actual fact, I got a greater buzz from watching Victoria play the Allies in 1996 (went to that match).

I went to last night's match and was glad when it was over.

Now to the real football.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
TTNOS8
All Go, No Show

Go the Big V!!

Entertaining game, unless you had you eyes closed....

True big game players stood up also which was pleasing.
Looking for another XE.....
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Best games of footy ever? Come on...you can't have seen many games.

The game was scrappy, with packs forming everywhere, much like pigeons chasing crumbs. The team who cleared was the one with loose men around the packs.
Although Victoria tried to play like Geelong (i.e. a risk taking game that is meant to play dividends), the players struggled as it is hard to adopt a different style of game in the space of a week. There were far too many turnovers to be considered a quality match.
It was nothing more than a hard-fought contest that will only be remembered for the fact that it was the return of Victoria as a team in the AFL. There have been far better State of Origin matches.

For me, the best part of the game was Fevola standing up, and Goodes really taking control in the second half with his confidence as he ran opponents off.

In terms of quality, it was terrible, bar a few spectacular marks.

I have seen far better games.

In terms of exciting...the match means nothing. It's fabricated.
Reality is that players want the premiership cup and a premiership medal...not a state jumper. I was sitting there thinking, "This does not compare to watching my own side play."

In actual fact, I got a greater buzz from watching Victoria play the Allies in 1996 (went to that match).

I went to last night's match and was glad when it was over.

Now to the real football.
I'll admit that in some stages of the match it was scrappy, with a few turn overs, but a lot of that came down to the fierce pressure being put on all the players from their opposition, and it didn't require tagging to do so.

I think you're totoally off the mark in regards to players not caring about a state jumper. You've obviously been living under a rock if you think that because all week all the players from both sides, but mainly obviously Victoria had been going on about how much it meant to play for their state. Jonathan Brown said outside of a Grand Final it's the most important game to him as an individual.

Other various players have also backed the state of origin concept to the point where they really hope the AFL bring it back in some form or another. So please don't insult the 50 players who put their bodies on the line by saying they don't care about it. I'm sure ALL of those players that participated in the tribute match would be extremely honoured to represent their respective states should the AFL bring the conept back.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

I didn't find it exciting. It reminded me of a social match with a few staged incidents as crowd pleasers. The silence during Dream Team possession spioke heaps how seriously non Vics considered attending.

Exciting is the Hawks with Dippa and Dermy dishing it out, the Lions at their 2002 best, God Abblet taking one armers,etc.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #13
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I didn't find it exciting. It reminded me of a social match with a few staged incidents as crowd pleasers. The silence during Dream Team possession spioke heaps how seriously non Vics considered attending.

Exciting is the Hawks with Dippa and Dermy dishing it out, the Lions at their 2002 best, God Abblet taking one armers,etc.
God Ablett....what a crock that is.

On topic i heard that the game was staged so the 'mighty vics' would win.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
To quote you man... "what a crock that is"!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #15
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
To quote you man... "what a crock that is"!
lol most likely it is, just throwing the hook out there
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you're totoally off the mark in regards to players not caring about a state jumper. You've obviously been living under a rock if you think that because all week all the players from both sides, but mainly obviously Victoria had been going on about how much it meant to play for their state. Jonathan Brown said outside of a Grand Final it's the most important game to him as an individual.
If you had the choice of a premiership of a state jumper, what would you take?

My point was that State of Origin has been dead for almost a decade and the game is no worse off.
Attendances for Big V matches post 1995 were ordinary, and with pressure from clubs in players to not play in these matches, it is clear that in a game where club performance over the H+A rounds and finals has many crucial stakeholders in members and major sponsors, these games are nothing but glorified exhibition matches with a bit of passion. However, after the match, it's back to real business.

I would not mind seeing the concept return, but it cannot be every year, and I refuse to kid myself and say that a State jumper is the greatest honour of all.
I am sure if you asked Gary Ablett or Tony Lockett whether they'd prefer a state jumper or a premiership, they'd tell you the latter.

Any player would.

State of Origin pretty much happens every week in the AFL anyway, despite the players coming from all over the place to represent the one club.

If the concept was played every year, I feel that interest would once again dip.

It's the absence of State football that has made it so appealing.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The thing I find strangest is State AFL is Victoria vs players playing a Victorian Sport but based in other cities.

"International" Rules AFL is Victoria vs Ireland who play a sport that's similar but not even the same.

World Series Baseball = USA vs USA.

AVESCO trying to make V8SC a global thing. Thanks for coming, please stamp your ticket on the way out.

Love my Footy and I'm from Sydney. But I'm cynical to most of this crap since before moving to Melbourne 4 years ago, I'd never ever heard of State of Origin AFL or International Rules. It's Victorian Origin and International Victorian Rules to me and won't ever change.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
God Ablett....what a crock that is.

Victoria still thinks the AFL is the VFL. That way they can talk up the amount of premierships the clubs have or haven't one. The real history of the AFL:

1987 Carlton
1990 Collingwood
1991 Hawthorn
1992 Eagles
1993 Essendon
1994 Eagles
1995 Carlton
1996 Roos
1997 Adelaide
1998 Adelaide
1999 Roos
2000 Essendon
2001 Lions
2002 Lions
2003 Lions
2004 Port
2005 Swans
2006 Eagles
2007 Cats

Best result = Michael Voss' Lions by a country mile.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
If you had the choice of a premiership of a state jumper, what would you take?

My point was that State of Origin has been dead for almost a decade and the game is no worse off.
Attendances for Big V matches post 1995 were ordinary, and with pressure from clubs in players to not play in these matches, it is clear that in a game where club performance over the H+A rounds and finals has many crucial stakeholders in members and major sponsors, these games are nothing but glorified exhibition matches with a bit of passion. However, after the match, it's back to real business.

I would not mind seeing the concept return, but it cannot be every year, and I refuse to kid myself and say that a State jumper is the greatest honour of all.
I am sure if you asked Gary Ablett or Tony Lockett whether they'd prefer a state jumper or a premiership, they'd tell you the latter.

Any player would.

State of Origin pretty much happens every week in the AFL anyway, despite the players coming from all over the place to represent the one club.

If the concept was played every year, I feel that interest would once again dip.

It's the absence of State football that has made it so appealing.
Thats why they shouldn't play it every year, maybe say every 4 years so that it keeps the interest up.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats why they shouldn't play it every year, maybe say every 4 years so that it keeps the interest up.
Yep. That's what I think.

4-5 years will maintain interest, and will keep in interesting because over those five years, the teams would be completely different.

Cheers

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #21
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Victoria still thinks the AFL is the VFL. That way they can talk up the amount of premierships the clubs have or haven't one. The real history of the AFL:

1987 Carlton
1990 Collingwood
1991 Hawthorn
1992 Eagles
1993 Essendon
1994 Eagles
1995 Carlton
1996 Roos
1997 Adelaide
1998 Adelaide
1999 Roos
2000 Essendon
2001 Lions
2002 Lions
2003 Lions
2004 Port
2005 Swans
2006 Eagles
2007 Cats

Best result = Michael Voss' Lions by a country mile.

Good point, but, the Eagles also have 3 premierships in the last 10 years, yes The Lions did it 3 years in a row which is impressive, but its not a country mile.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 PM   #22
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Good point, but, the Eagles also have 3 premierships in the last 10 years, yes The Lions did it 3 years in a row which is impressive, but its not a country mile.
Can you not count? The Eagles premierships were in '92, '94 and '06 so how is that 3 in the last 10 years?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Lions have been by far the best team since Melbourne's 5 out of 6 flags from 55-60 (lost 58).
I have been in a debate with some Hawthorn supporter on Youtube (he gave up) about Brisbane being superior because they have had to comply with salary cap, as well as the draft.

The Eagles team of 1992 and 1994 was also far more even. Although Cousins, Cox, Judd and Kerr is one of the greatest midfield combinations ever, the backline and forward line of the 90s was superior.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #24
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Can you not count? The Eagles premierships were in '92, '94 and '06 so how is that 3 in the last 10 years?
i meant 20 years...the point still stands though. I actually thought the Roos had more Grand Final wins as well.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #25
SNGT
BOSS 290

THE MIGHT V showed all of australia who the best r. just wish they bring it bak so the big V can kick s.a's ***** again and again...
great game
spewing ablett jnr wasnt there, im sure the score difference would b healthier on vics side
SNGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #26
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

[QUOTE=Wally]Victoria still thinks the AFL is the VFL. That way they can talk up the amount of premierships the clubs have or haven't one. The real history of the AFL:

1987 Carlton
1990 Collingwood
1991 Hawthorn
1992 Eagles
1993 Essendon
1994 Eagles
1995 Carlton
1996 Roos
1997 Adelaide
1998 Adelaide
1999 Roos
2000 Essendon
2001 Lions
2002 Lions
2003 Lions
2004 Port
2005 Swans
2006 Eagles
2007 Cats

Best result = Michael Voss' Lions by a country mile.[/QUOTE]

Dam right, Go the lions!!!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #27
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
If you work out the probability of three in a row compared to two, the chances are extraordinarily low. Winning three spaced apart has a much higher probability of success than three consecutive good outcomes. If you consider they managed a fourth consecutive grandfinal as well, it is an outstanding achievment that may never be matched

Just using conjunctive maths the chances of winning one premiership is 256 times greater than winning three on the trot.