Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
goXF
Now AU powered

Angry Internet Banking Fraud

Hello,

A woman from my bank (BENDIGO BANK) called me today and advised me of an unusual transaction that had just taken place via internet banking. The transaction was flagged on their system as possible fraud...
She was calling to confirm if I had actually performed this transaction or not??

$4,900 was transferred to some womans account in QLD......

I promptly advised her that it was certainly not me!!!

They caught it very quickly so she said she should be able to have the money back in my account by the end of the day. Obviously my internet banking has been shut down for the time being to stop any more of this!

The bank are express posting out an electronic security token gizmo to me which will generate a unique code which changes every 36seconds and I will then need to enter that code when logging in as well as the usual username and password...
This will stop the same thing from happening again - because even if some thief gets there hands on my username, password and code....by the time they enter the details in, the code required to login will have changed!

Tonight I have run Ad-aware on my computer and it picked up a number of nasties, including some "monitoring" ones...which were probably the source of the theft...
I never received a bogus email, let alone clicked on one!

Anyway, I am interested to hear any other people's stories regarding internet banking thefts etc...????

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Security Tokens is the only way to go on Internet Banking, if not SMS notify codes.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Security Tokens is the only way to go on Internet Banking, if not SMS notify codes.
I've never heard of these before..can anyone get one for their online banking or are they only for people who've had a security problem?
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
I've never heard of these before..can anyone get one for their online banking or are they only for people who've had a security problem?
I had a letter from CBA letting me know about the SMS code for online banking, i never asked for it, they just did it.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
xquizd
Da Boss

God Dam Low Life Scum :gren:

Who knows how many people have spyware, key loggers etc. etc. on their comp & dont even know it.

Thats why its always a good idea to use utilities such as ad-aware, spybot etc. to check & clean any crap on your comp.

I tell ya the scum on this planet never rest :
xquizd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
With Commonwealth, every time a transfer transaction is made to a new account, an sms with a 5 digit code is sent to the account holders mobile, and the code has to be put into a code box for the transaction to be confirmed. I think there is a short time limit too

I think it came in automatically last year
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

We use the RSA SecurID tokens for our work logon from remote locations. AFAIK, they've never been cracked globally anywhere.

I use the sms codes with my banking. Can never be too safe.
Old 23-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
bigdave
Ford Fanatic

my credit card details were stolen a few weeks ago, someone tried to make purchases on the net with them, my bank (suncorp-metway) thought it was dodge, gave me a ring to confirm, then cancelled my old card and sent me a new one.

i did some ad-ware and virus checks on the computer, i need to do them more often :(
bigdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I posted elsewhere that late last year someone stole my grandmother's mail from her letterbox, registered her for internet banking and a bigpond dialup account (even though they couldn't answer simple details like her date of birth), and then over the course of 5 days stole $57,000+ from her account.

She was housebound at the time, and had been for awhile, until Dad forcibly put her into care, so he's been the one dealing with it since then.

The bank had to reimburse the money, and they were able to trace where it went and who had it pretty quickly.

Police are still working on it now (a friend's workmate is investigating).

So it just goes to show, even if you don't use internet banking, they can still get you.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #10
aye you
The Origional, The Best

had the same happen to me, $4994 flogged from my account by net banking to a chick in Brisbane. Anz did the whole shut down of net banking etc etc. Thanks god i was covered by the bank and got my money back. i now change my details every friday, and only use 1 computer to access it now.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Had someone in Western Sydney try to rack up a total of 30k on my Credit Card, lucky that my limit is only a third of that. Silly thing is that they did all the transactions in person. Westpac promptly gave me back what they had gotten and all is good now.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #12
goXF
Now AU powered

Activated my new security token today and all appears to be in order.
Noticed a new payee in my payee list.......deleted!

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
Old 25-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Yeah CBA have the SMS service, which is a gret thing, the code times out after about thirty seconds. I'm happy to say i've never had a problem *touch wood*. But it really goes to show how crafty some people can be, and how low they can go.

To save people from stealing from your credit card just do what i do, make sure there's never any credit on it to steal!! :P
Old 25-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goXF
The bank are express posting out an electronic security token gizmo to me which will generate a unique code which changes every 36seconds and I will then need to enter that code when logging in as well as the usual username and password...
Did they also tell you that you have to pay $20 or $99 for that token (depending on model)? And that from next week, Bendigo Bank will also be charging $3 per month on Visa debit accounts and a $45 annual fee on Visa credit accounts? To go with their 18.9% interest rate?

Guess they haven't seen the infochoice site...

Jas
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
goXF
Now AU powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
Did they also tell you that you have to pay $20 or $99 for that token (depending on model)? And that from next week, Bendigo Bank will also be charging $3 per month on Visa debit accounts and a $45 annual fee on Visa credit accounts? To go with their 18.9% interest rate?

Guess they haven't seen the infochoice site...

Jas
Yes I agreed to $20. I felt it was worth the piece of mind it will give me. I can use it as a tax deduction anyway when it comes tax time.

I don't have a credit card only a visa debit account and yes i am aware of the $3 a month charge.

Old 26-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i transferred over $4150 a week ago, albeit to the bank account i received it from(old work messed up someones commision and i couldnt keep it :P) from CBA netbank and i wasnt called. Would this be because it was to the account i received it from?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
i transferred over $4150 a week ago, albeit to the bank account i received it from(old work messed up someones commision and i couldnt keep it :P) from CBA netbank and i wasnt called. Would this be because it was to the account i received it from?
Me either. I've never received an SMS code when using the CBA to transfer funds or pay bills. With the NAB though, I do have SMS alert for my credit cards.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
scooby

I will NEVER use internet banking..I don't care what anyone says, I don't trust it. Security software is always playing catch up to the nasties (the problem is invented before the cure), and if you get a Rootkit, like I did, your'e stuffed. A Rootkit will open up your computer to all sorts of nasties and no Antivus or Antispy software will even detect it. Even if you manage to find an infection using Anti Rootkit software, chances are you won't be able to delete it.
These things are getting very sophisticated.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Been using since 1995 (CBA), no probs. Run safety stuff.

Uncle, even longer with you had manual handset looking modem dial-up.

OP might like to state some of the nasties he's found on his system.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #20
yabby6
The Convert

i use netbanking sometimes.. with commbank it's pretty safe even if someone does get into your account, all you have to do is let the bank know and they fix it up because all the transactions have to go somewhere and it's all tracable so you're going to get your money back.

i had the netcode sms thing sent out to me as well.. thought it would be a pain waiting for sms to come through but it's really quick i'm happy with it
Old 28-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #21
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I have been using net banking for ages, probably 10 years now.

The money I have moved around, bills I have paid and transfers etc would easily ammount to over a million dollars worth of transactions, if not easily more.

Never have I had a problem. I have got the odd phone call after paying a bunch of bills for the first time (before the sms security feature), but after that I have had no issues.

The SMS notifications with Commonwealth will only happen when adding a new account to your list, or paying a new bill for the first time. Once the first transaction has gone through, further transactions are seen as 'trusted' so no more messages to your phone are needed.

A lot of security issues arise from using internet cafes where key loggers are hard to scan for. In this case (while overseas) I will leave my log in details with a trusted family member, and instruct them to do transactions or check account balances from home and send me the info I need by email.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 12:42 PM   #22
ms700
Big Member

NAB have been using SMS for a while now, my missus is with Teachers Credit Union, they have them security tokens.

I knew internet banking fraud was out there, but didnt think it was this active! Or credit card scams!

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #23
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The bank know who got into my grandmother's account.

It's apparently a 36 yr old female. She was released from Silverwater (probably for the same thing) in late October, and started doing it again in November.

The police say they target unit blocks because they can access more mail in a short amount of time, and are less likely to be noticed.

They usually go back a few times and clear out your mail, so they can get rate notices, bills and bank statements.
That makes it much easier for them to get around not knowing passwords and birth dates in order to access your accounts.

Obviously my grandmother wasn't the only one this woman targeted after her release, now they're just working on finding her.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #24
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I had my adelaide account hacked last year, 5000 taken and transferred into an account in Sydney, I caught it after I logged on only 45seconds after the transfer, luckily, we were heading to the UK the following week too. the froze my net banking, and put the money in another acount for me to access, they then froze all of his assets and because they reimbursed me they(the bank) became the victim. Turned out this fool had an Email, "I'm the treasurer of nigeria we need to move funds rubbish" he believed it, they hacked my ac sent it to him, he was supposed to keed 50% and withdraw the rest and do a western union cash transfer to them in europe. FOOL...

Rant Over
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #25
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have had a couple of examples of credit card rip offs.

one was a transfer of $1473 to some account in south america ( ------- medical supplies ) cant remember the full name. i found the transaction on my statement and called the bank straight away, they froze my account and sent me a new card and gave me the money back into my account.

about 6 months later i got a phone call from the bank 7am one morning to check if i had made any purchaces last night. some one (nursery supplies ) in the UK had tried to take $4700 from my account at 1am and the bank had stoped the transaction until they checked with me first, luckily.

that was about 4 years ago and before i started using net banking.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #26
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happened to me last year with my credit card. $1,800 was transferred to the Ukraine. Luckily the Falcon had got them. ANZ called me first thing in the morning to see if I transferred the money. It took a few weeks to get my money back, and the intended reciepient didnt get a cent either.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hmmm interesting.

Just got a phone call from the Comm' Bank...

"Mr #$%^&, it has come to our attention that you have had a purchase made in Thailand on your card"... and I said, yup that was me.

They offered me a new card with a new number as a security precaution... and warned me that Thailand was a high risk country etc etc etc.

I declined the offer, only because it was the 1 and only time I used any of my cards overseas, and this purchase was made at a large and respected jeweler.

I prob would have taken the new card, but I have almost a dozen auto payments / credits linked to it, and to get all those sorted would be a hassle.

But still good that they are on top of things I guess.
Old 30-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #28
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Hmmm interesting.

Just got a phone call from the Comm' Bank...

"Mr #$%^&, it has come to our attention that you have had a purchase made in Thailand on your card"... and I said, yup that was me.

They offered me a new card with a new number as a security precaution... and warned me that Thailand was a high risk country etc etc etc.

I declined the offer, only because it was the 1 and only time I used any of my cards overseas, and this purchase was made at a large and respected jeweler.

I prob would have taken the new card, but I have almost a dozen auto payments / credits linked to it, and to get all those sorted would be a hassle.

But still good that they are on top of things I guess.
Are you really really sure you want to decline?. Cause now that they have told you and offered you a new card, they are no longer responsible for any fraudulent activity. That means you get nothing back and have to repay the bank if someone does indeed use your card fraudulently.
And just because it was a large and respected whatever, does not mean there can be no fraud. It usually happens from an employee working there.
Visa track all cases of fraud and if a card is used at a place where fraud was committed in the past X days/weeks then they notify all card owners that had any transactions at that place simply to be safe.
for e.g. if a crook employee there skimmed a card a week or so before/after you, then you will get notified as well. Note they will not tell you which place just the country.
I know this cause I'm a regular visitor to asian countries cause of work, and had this happen to me only once, even though I use my visa there every time.
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I understand your point.

If they had not called me I wouldn't have thought twice about it. The person only called due to the country I was in, she made no mention of the specific shop. She didn't even know it was a jeweler till I told her, and it states it on the transaction as well. Had she had told me they had problems linked directly with that store in the past I would have got the new card in a blink.

However, I also did some of my own precautions... I mentioned that I had only used the card once the entire time I was away, and I have the personally named business card of the sales person who served me and handled the transaction. Should anything go astray, I have a pretty good paper trail to follow.

I also religiously check my banking statements online several times a day.

But having said all that, I very much doub't declining the new card will void me of any future claims of fraud... But of this i'm not certain.