Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-07-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
kpcart
Banned

Default New ED owner - Questions

Hi, i just bought a ED falcon. I upgraded from a zk fairlane which i drove for 4 years. i tested a few eseries fords from ea to el, and chose this one for $1800, because it had the best engine and gearbox of 5 or 6 cars i tested. very quiet smooth engine. Unfortunantly the car had no original operating instructions.

Now i hope i can get some info from knowledgable people here.

1. I only have one key for the car, does this mean the smartlock is working? i dont have a keyless entry button, just a key. It opens and closes the doors (central locking) and starts the engine. when the car is off, the smartlock light on the dash flashes on and off. is smartlock working or should i get a new immobiliser fitted or is this enough? im worried if someone can break in, hotwire and steal the car. Also i heard you can buy a new keyless entry pad and program it?? any info on where to buy this and how to program.

2. Which gearbox and engine oils should i use with this engine? its the 4.0mpfi. 4 speed electronic auto.

3. The car has abs written on the back, and when i insert key, the abs light is on, just like many other lights, then turns off as soon as engine starts. does this mean abs is working? also how do i know if the car still has original abs installed? how do i check?

4. The car has extractors and exhaust system looks to have been replaced from the extractors to the tailpipe (fairly big tip). How do i know what these extractors are (pacemaker?) i have a photo see attachment 1 (sorry for the dirt). they have a stamp reading HiTech something... Does anyone know these extractors? also would anyone have any figures for how much kw increase these give. the engine is said to be 148kw new, how much would these extractors increase the power by? Also same for torque, do these increase torque?

5. The car does feel more powerful and smooth then a couple ea/eb cars i tested. I also tested a xr8 series 2 (auto), and this feels about the same speed, should a ed with extractors and exhaust (i think mine is 2.5) be faster then a stock eb series 2 xr8? i read the xr8 has 165kw, but it weighs more.

6. The car came with csa 15 inch rims. see photo attachment 2. i might not keep these, i prefer something a bit more reserved. how much are these rims worth?? i might sell these. they are 15inch and excellent condition. besides, they dont suit the car, because it hasnt been lowered.

7. All in all, im quite happy with the purchase, i hope to have it converted to gas in a month or 2 (waiting list in only 2 weeks at one place near where i live. is $3350 too expensive? this one shop says i will only get about 5% power loss, and have maybe more torque running gas. i think all lpg systems have gone up (in WA, where i live), because of $1000 state government rebate and $2000 federal government rebate. still $350 isnt a lot to pay for a gas conversion.

Thanks for any info. I like this car better then my dads 91 commodore, commodores are good cars too, similar power etc, but i like these fords because they feel like they sit better on the road, i think thats because of the width or track or the car, and im used to driving comfortable wide cars (the zk was really relaxing, only the 4.1 on gas with 3 speed auto was too slow and underpowered)

kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Firstly, welcome to eseries.com, enjoy ya stay.

1) Smartlock doesn't do a whole lot to begin with. I don't consider is an anti theft device. More of a deterrent.

2)What Klms has the motor done? Standard motor oil is fine, if you are doing the gearbox add a litre of 'Lucas' which with smooth it for you.

3)ABS appears to work. The light comes on for 'self check' if it stays on, then you have a problem. You can test it in the wet. Or wait until you need it

4) Not sure on the brand of the extractors. Power/effiency/torque are better with these combined with a sports exhaust. There is not actual figure of increase, it depends on the motor and any other mods (ie CAI)

5) Short answer No. The XR should have better gearing with more power and torque. If your I6 keeps up, then the XR8 was shagged.

6) 15" aren't worth a lot anymore. Some 17's and 18's are under $1000 so I wouldn't bother removing them. Just lower the car instead! ;)

7) E-series are good and cheap with a lot of potential. You appear to be paying double for your LPG than you should, well at least compared to Vic.

The same vintage Commodore has a different feel to the Falcon. It comes done to taste. The Falcon will only need dome small upgrades to make it a lot more responsive. Search the forums and you wil fine heaps of info.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
EdFairmontGhia
ED_Ghia

Sound like you've got yourself a nice e-series, any more pics of the rest of the car?
EdFairmontGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
frd_crzer
:D:D

sounds nice as. gosh under the hood is filfy.:P
Old 05-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
kpcart
Banned

motor has done about 275,000km, but its probably had work along the way, because it runs like new. yes it is filthy, ill clean it out soon, also dirty under the car there is a lot of mud attached to the gearbox and diff. the gearbox was replaced a year ago with one that had 116,000km on it. it is very smooth, i can hardly feel the gearchanges at all. here is a side on pic, as you can see its sitting quite high. how much should i pay to lower it? will lowering it make the ride harsher? i dont care about going fast around corners, i just like a comfortable cruise.
Another question, do these wheels affect the speedo? i think 14inch were standard. the tyres are 65 profile, should i put on 60s?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
kpcart
Banned

another good thing about the car, is it already has a nice pioneer cd player installed.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
webby_191189
low wagooon

Nice clean ED there mate just need to lower it a bit.
Im guessing HiTech Headers is the brand of extractors. Castrol magnatec oil would be good fo your car oil wise.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
frd_crzer
:D:D

Quote:
Another question, do these wheels affect the speedo? i think 14inch were standard. the tyres are 65 profile, should i put on 60s?
the size of the rim has no effect on the speedo what so ever. its when u change ur diff over or get a new gearbox for it.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd_crzer
the size of the rim has no effect on the speedo what so ever. its when u change ur diff over or get a new gearbox for it.
Actually im pretty sure changing from stock 14 inch wheels to something like 18's or 19's will put the speedo out, maybe by only a couple of kays, but still puts it out.

Could be wrong though but i have heard/read it quite a few times.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGT05
Actually im pretty sure changing from stock 14 inch wheels to something like 18's or 19's will put the speedo out, maybe by only a couple of kays, but still puts it out.

Could be wrong though but i have heard/read it quite a few times.
That's correct. Although, if you keep the same overall rolling diameter as the stock wheels, then the speedo will be fine. It's only when you go up in wheel size, and not come down enough in tyre profile. Meaning more rolling diameter, which means speedo out.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
EFendedXG

It will throw out the speedo but you also have to careful if you get the drive cog replaced it will throw the shift patten out on the auto
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
That's correct. Although, if you keep the same overall rolling diameter as the stock wheels, then the speedo will be fine. It's only when you go up in wheel size, and not come down enough in tyre profile. Meaning more rolling diameter, which means speedo out.
To add to this, this is why 20s have fanbelts for tyres and 14s have hiiiigh sidewalls, so that the overall rolling diameter is maintained.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post