Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default i might be out of work

well as some of you might know

i work in the farming industry

due to the fact we have not had rain to write home about i am looking down the barrel of not having a job

i am quoting what my boss said to me today here

jason i dont know how i am going to find your wages next week

now here is my problem

as most of you know i have a wife + 2 kids and another on the way

if it ( the company ) goes belly up i dont know what way to turn

i have around 5 weeks holiday owing plus around 200+ sick leave

what do i do walk now or wait to see what happense

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Jason[98.EL]; 23-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
low-eb

stick with it if u can, if its to stressful on your family leave find new job, but just think were goin to have to have rain soon and when it it wont stop!
Old 23-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Spend 5 weeks looking for work.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
slayer351

If he is having trouble finding next weeks pay i dont like your chances of getting 5 weeks holiday pay with loading on it. It might pay to have a chat to the boss and maybe start looking for other work.
slayer351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Jase mate, first port of call would be to make sure your boss has your entitlements protected. ie: if you leave on your own accord will you be paid your sickies, annual leave etc. Or if company goes guts up is all afore mentioned covered plus your redundancy. Find that out first then you will be in a better position to make your decision. I wish you all the best.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
frd_crzer
:D:D

just stick it out and in the process look for another job if u get sucessful and get another job then resign from the farming job
Old 23-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
webby_191189
low wagooon

Sorry to hear. I know what its like. Im a diesel mechanic and our work has slowed down a lot lately to. Its really startin to efect everyone now. Lets just hope we get a good strong rain soon

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Heffnic
this is true

wait the time out its amazing what can happen in a short time. best of luck mate u have a lot riding on it and your family is A1. look for work in that 5 weeks u never know it could be round the corner a whole new road.
Old 23-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #9
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres hoping this gets to us all matey .......

http://www.eldersweather.com.au/sate...lt=state&lc=wa

We had been lucky earlier in the year but are back at hard times if these clouds dont drop the water ........

I can understand the problem with moving family at this time but maybe a move a bit further north might be a good thing ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

yeah good luck with it. u r a great bloke and you should get a job pritty easily. my dad is in a similar position with the building industry. he just cant get in.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
frd_crzer
:D:D

it is the same as my old man he is getting no work due to no rain train driver no grain no work
Old 23-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say start looking now well you still have a job, as soon as you find one then hand in your notice.

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker
I would say start looking now well you still have a job, as soon as you find one then hand in your notice.

the thing is if there is a chance that my work can stay open i need to be there

i had my rdo today and left the 2 other workers to do what i could do in a day

i went in and between the 2 of them all day they had only done what i would do in around 3 hours

i feel for my boss in the fact that he purchased it during a drought

so i dont know what way to go

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mothernature ..........

we could only wish it all makes it our way

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-04-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has he thought of checking out the assistance he should be getting from the government ???????
EC payouts should still be going at the moment & that should assist him with wages and the like.

Maybe contacting centrelink, for yourself as well as your boss, would be a good thing, he sounds reasonable by telling you the truth..... he may not realise what options are out there as far as assistance for farmers.
Old 23-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #16
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
Has he thought of checking out the assistance he should be getting from the government ???????
EC payouts should still be going at the moment & that should assist him with wages and the like.

Maybe contacting centrelink, for yourself as well as your boss, would be a good thing, he sounds reasonable by telling you the truth..... he may not realise what options are out there as far as assistance for farmers.
he did mention the government stuff and is looking into it as we speak

i hope it all happenes as soon as possiable i love working there but i'm really nervouse as to what will happen

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-04-2007, 11:04 PM   #17
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just hang in there matey..... know that we are all on tenderhooks at the moment with the lack of rain.

I would also ring centrelink just for your own piece of mind. I know some think its a hand out ...... but to me its the difference of your wife & kids eating .... or not .......

Its not nice to think that way but ... lets say been there done that & am still living here on a property & wouldnt have it any other way ;)
Old 23-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #18
EFendedXG

Hang on Jase.... it will all come together mate..... Keep your head up high, think positive you and helen are very strong....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #19
wheels260

If its any help my grandpa said that the swans down at the swamp were building there nests 4 foot higher then what the normal water level normally is, so if thats any thing to go by then i think were in for a lot of rain. But don't quote me on that!
wheels260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #20
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

are you coming room 99 this tuesday night? I'll buy you a jagerbomb
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the encouragment guys and gals

as i thought they cant do without me

i was in melbourne today another rdo

and my boss called me to ask how to do somthing that the other 2 guys should know how to do

now this puts me in a stiff position

do i put notice in and go work for my uncle and see the place thatsbeen good to me in the past go belly up or do i stay and stick it out and try to keep it afloat

help would be appretiated

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #22
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would stick it out ......

We had the occasion to be in town today & had an appointment with a government job placement place & had mentioned that I had a friend .... you know the way these convos start .....

The guy old me that your employer can get assistance financially to help pay you for about 3 months........ not that long really but enough to get by for a bit longer until some wet stuff falls ......

Another thought is that, if I suspect right, you are living on the place. See if you can hang around to help him out & get the assistance to get you through this .... then you will be thought of as family and kept on forever in the good times .....

I know this will sound strange to the city folk out there but Im sure you know what I mean Jason ;)
Old 24-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #23
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Jase, the company has been good to you but you have also been good to the company. I know its a hard choice but if you did decide to leave, im pretty sure your Boss would understand and not question your loyalty, but i can also see your point of the company folding after you leave due to the absence of your knowledge. Hard choice for anyone to make, but at the end of the day you have a Wife and 2 Kids to support. Sorry if this just increases your pressure but after my recent experience with work i cant really give you a exact answer to this one. You have a tough decision to make and i wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
I would stick it out ......

We had the occasion to be in town today & had an appointment with a government job placement place & had mentioned that I had a friend .... you know the way these convos start .....

The guy old me that your employer can get assistance financially to help pay you for about 3 months........ not that long really but enough to get by for a bit longer until some wet stuff falls ......

Another thought is that, if I suspect right, you are living on the place. See if you can hang around to help him out & get the assistance to get you through this .... then you will be thought of as family and kept on forever in the good times .....

I know this will sound strange to the city folk out there but Im sure you know what I mean Jason ;)
well the place i work is not a farm/on the land

we manufacture farming equipment look at this link it will show you what i/we build

www.watsonfarmmach.com.au

i know people will say that you dont work in the farming industry but thats what we do like.... air seeders, broad acre bed formers, market garden bed formers and harvesters ..ect....

so one thing i would like to get over to people is that even though i work in geelong this drought is getting worse and its going to get worse if no real rain fall is coming soon

i was talking to one of the biggest farmers in the werribee area and he said that if no rain people can expect prices in everyday vegies to go up in price by around 10 fold so a colli that costs around 3 dollars now can (if he is right ) cost close to $30 lets hope it doesnt get that bad

hope this helps

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #25
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

edit for the above post of mine

colli will cost around$30 if he is right

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 24-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Move to WA where there is plenty of well paid work in the north in the mining industry and in an industry where farmers and farm hands are highly valued for their good work ethic and experience in driving tractors and similar machinery.

Start your search here. http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au/

It might pay to get someone with suitable experience to help you write up a CV; from my past experience in a past job that involved finding ex farmers and their families jobs I found that, while they were particularly valued and sought after by employers and very highly skilled, farmers often lacked self confidence and didn't do a good job of selling themselves and their wide range of skills and experience (which they often didn't realise they had). eg make sure yyou list every machine you have used or driven however irrelevant it may seem.

Last edited by aussiblue; 24-04-2007 at 10:33 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Because of the exodus of labour into the northern mining industry there are also lots of slightly lesser paid good job in Perth and other large Regional centres in WA. Industries like the fishing industry are so desperate they are using foreign Indonesian labour and anyone who is prepared to work should be able to find a good job in WA somewhere.
Old 24-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

With your background you should easily be able to get a job in WA with a company either supplying and servicing mining equipment (trucks, earthmovers etc) or looking after purchasing or supplying parts etc on a mine site.
Old 24-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Also see http://www.gowestnow.wa.gov.au/?page=employ_mining
and http://www.gowestnow.com/?page=browsejobs noting the other catagory has lots of diverse jobs listed at the moment.
Old 24-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Note: you don't need to be in WA to apply for a job here and some employers will either meet the costs of moving you and your family here (if you commit to working with them for a period) or do a fly in fly out job from a mine site to whereever you are now living.