Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
MADED-6
MADED.6

Default tips on how to get a better 1/4 time

well i went to calder park on friday night and my best time was 15.41 at 92.28mph (i thought it was a little higher but i was wrong) i was hoping my car could run mid-low 14's
now i think it still could because on that run my times were
60ft - 2.446
660ft - 9.995 at 73.12mph
ET - 15.410 at 92.28mph
no on that run i got a fair bit of spin in 1st and 2nd gear and i am not a very fast shifter and never flat shift or anything.
i got told to flat shift 3rd to 4th and go really hard from 2nd to 3rd i dont do this beacuse i dont think i am quick enough.
i thought i was going to get a 14 but missed third because i got 1 2.2 60ft time but as i said i missed third in a bad way and thought i stuffed my gearbox.
now i am going to the aff drag day next month at heathcote and would like to get some good times there.

my car consist of a fully rebuilt bottom end with slightly higher comp acl race pistons (9.2:1) and then headwork done by swanny (trick_xd) and a dev5 cam and just paccie 4499's and 2.5inch exhaust. it is manual with a b&m short shifter and it has 3.7 diff gears. i was running 205/65r15's on the night at 27psi then i tried 20psi and still couldnt get grip. now as i said my 60ft times are getting better but still need alot of work as i am getting spin should i let th clutch out slower or wat. i am frustrated as i just spent $4,000 rebuilding the motor and it feels alot better than it used to and gives alot of cars a run for there money. i can beat my brother in his au3 xr8 by a little bit and i smoke ba's and the sort.
sorry for having such a long thread hopefully someone can help me out.
cheers josh.

MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Practice,practice,practice.practice,practice,....

G,day mate. I,m only typing this on the pretence you will trust what i say!!! Being an auto BA i dont suffer the problems you are facing, but i did when i had a Vortech blown EB XR8-5 Speed . OK when in prestage pull handbrake on/load up clutch no more than 1000 rpm!/now you can focus on lights NOT tacho because of handbrake, you will obviously be in first gear so hand on brake/wheel /FOCUS...Second last amber FOOT to floor release clutch and handbrake at same time , around 30psi if street tyres, 12psi if a smallish slick Good luck keep me posted... :
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
webby_191189
low wagooon

This is rollins guide to gettin off the start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
Recipe for good 60ft times, according to Rollin

1: half decent tyres - those 235s should be ok.

2: Drop the pressures to about 25psi in the back, any lower and the center of the tyre doesn't contact the track and you loose contact patch. Pressures up to 40 at the front.

3: under 1/4 tank of good fuel

4: drive up to the water trough, stop with the back tyres nearly out of it.

5: out with the clutch and on the brakes, LOTS of rpm. Crawl forewards at walking pace and REALLY turn the tyres, for about a carlength or more, make sure you are well out of the water that other cars have pushed up onto the track, and really grinding that lovely VHT prepared surface into your tyres.

6: stop a little way from the start line and bring the revs up, and do one or two 'mini launches' to get a feel for how much grip the track has - it should be a fair bit if you have done a proper burnout and the track isn't wet.

7: stage as shallow as possible - crawl forewards and AS SOON as the second light comes on, stop.

8: bring the revs up - generally you will be able to use twice as many as on the street - I when my car was N/A I was near-dumping the clutch at 3500 and doing 1.9 60s, no traction problems on street tyres.

9: on the last yellow, let the clutch out hard as you smash the throttle to the floor. If you get it right the car shouldn't wheelspin or bog down much, just take off like a cat with a boot up its butt. (the nose of the diff might hit the floorpan if you are lucky)

10: don't lift very much on the 1-2 shift, pay a lot of attention to the 2-3, and flat shift 3-4.

The exact intricacies of step 9 depends on each car - Start at 3000rpm and let the clutch out quickly, if the car bogs, use more revs nect time, if you get wheelspin, let the clutch out a little slower, etc.

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
V8 Ghia
Formally ED I6

Lack of traction is your problem. 205's are way to thin to get a good 60' in my opinion.
What clutch are you running?? Does the clutch slip at all??

---------------------------
Other
93' ED 5spd 4.0L NA Fairmont
13.75 @ 101mph
V8 Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
MADED-6
MADED.6

the clutch is a exedy cushion button clutch and nah doesnt slip at all maybe a bit to bitey as u cant really feed it in wen foot flat coz it grabs to quick. but i am pretty happy with the clutch. also for anyone that came to clader did u notice my car single spinning coz i just got the lsd redone and want to no coz it is under warranty for 12months.
i will keep trying and i am hoping for mid 14's next time i get out there.
cheers josh.
Old 16-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Sorry to hijack here but can someone explain what flat shifting is please?! Any other terms would be great too.

I dont know much at all about drag racing but I am hoping to make it to heathcote next month to get a starting ET so I know where my car is at now. That way in the future I'll have something to compare to.
Old 16-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
MADED-6
MADED.6

flat shifting is wen u dont let go of the accelarator so it revs up and u gotta be quick.
cheers josh.
Old 16-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

You are smoking it up too much off the line work on a clean launch the 2.4 60' is whats slowing the time down. The TS is good so you have decent power just work on being calm not trying tooo hard and being smooth off the line not brutal
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
John_LS1

i still managed a 14.6 in my old ED even with my crap 60 ft time. this was at heathcote tho.

mods were dev3hl/genie extractors/3.45diff/T5 manual/headlight out.

i ran a 14.6 again at calder with same mods except for a 3.9 diff and a dev5 cam. dont know my 60 ft time tho.

John_LS1 ED Fairmont Ghia N/A 60ft 2.300 660ft 9.460@76.25 1/4 14.607@96.96

something is definetly up with yours. does it feel like it has flat spots of power?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2007, 10:14 PM   #10
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the tyres arent helping. you need some 235's. You need to be able to slip your clutch a little. (even though its not the best for it).

I launch at 4000rpm, with NO wheelspin problems. 1.9 second 60fts. I have also missed 3rd, but still ran a 14.4...