Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Default El Ghia Worth It??

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to update my car (02 Hyundai Accent) but I can't afford to spend much money. It won't be my main car, wife has BA XR8, been looking around at heaps of different types of cars and I think that the EL GHIA's look like a good thing. Can anyone please advise me if they are good, what to look out for and approx what I should pay for one. I have considered a BA XT also but I think a EL GHIA would be nicer.
Thanks in advance,
Greg.

GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

no offense to ghia ppl, the ba xt would probably be nicer. but if its what you are after they are quite a good all round car........smooth lol
Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Tiga_EL
Banned

BA XT's are ****. no offence to XT owners.. but id so much rather an EL Ghia plus the cash difference aswell is a bonus.
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Scott

EL Ghias are a good thing and are quite a bit nicer than the XT's when it comes to creature comforts. The EL Ghia's were well sorted by the time they hit the market which cannot be said for the BA's as they are the first of the new lineage and came with the types of problems you would expect (plus quite a few you wouldn't).

If you get a tidy EL, you can expect pretty trouble free motoring with all the luxo bit's you could want. If you get the BA, you can also expect pretty trouble free motoring but will be short on the luxury. The age of the EL's raises the odds of troubles and when compared to the BA this would probably tip in favour of the BA for reliabilty.

Personally, I would buy the BA as it is "nice" enough and is a current car. Also, the age of components is dramatically different which will see your BA supported by Ford whilst the EL is effectively not supported beyond current stock. A set of wheels and lowered the BA wins the looks dept for mine too.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
no1gxl
Banned

Hi Gents,
REDXR8,i just bought myself a El FairmontGhia ,mocha Foam in colour ,Cappuccino leather,1 owner with books 5litre V8 with 140,000k's on the clock..Car is mint in and out and has always been garaged..It is a dream to drive ,quiet,no rattles or knocks,great sound system and heaps of smooth power for every day driving.You think the car has 40,ooo k's..! Im so happy with it...The El ghia is beautifully appointed and its 2 tone interior adds a touch of class..I honestly Love it..So there you have it there's my spin on it....A real nice car for under $9,000...
no1gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Dezza
Parts bin special

I have driven a BA XT, and found it very nice to drive. The mechanicals are excellent. My only criticisms though are that the seats do get uncomfy on a long drive (not a problem with the Ghia), and that the driver's footwell seems quite cramped. There are pros and cons to both. The main problems with the EL are that it's now an old car and parts do tend to wear out over time (power windows are a good example). The EL Ghias are a great car, but I'd probably still choose the BA.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
adumb
FG G6ET

I've driven a Series 2 XT and i would chose my car (EL Ghia) over it. Thats from a drivers perspective and the all the extra luxurys. But on the mechanical side you will have more to go bung with an EL (want a list lol) The ELs are getting pretty cheap these days and most parts you can usually get from a wreckers.

Oh and the EL handbrake cover rips the BA one :hihi:
adumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The BA XT is clearly going to be a far better car. But the EL Ghia will give you luxury. The EL's are pretty reliable, but dont forget they are getting old.
Old 24-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I have owned an EL Ghia I6, EL Ghia V8, and a BA XT. The XT wins hands down. The EL Ghia's are great cars, and i very much like them, but the BA XT is miles ahead in almost every aspect. Safety, handling, brakes, power and ergonomics in the XT are just miles ahead of the EL. The only thing you're really missing in the XT over he EL, is the leather trim. BA has IRS, smarter ABS with EBD, twin piston calipers (front), better steering, sequential shift auto, and better economy.

For an XT (BA MK1) don't pay more than $14000

For an EL Ghia, don't pay more than $8000.

My EL Ghia 6 Cylinder

-
-
My EL Ghia V8

-
-
My XT
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I own a EL Ghia and have driven plenty of BA and BF XTs.

I'll take the EL any day thank you very much. Automatic climate control, Leather seats, All four electric windows, 9 speaker 250W premium sound, 3.45 LSD diff and not to mention how much better looking they are.

No doubt the BAs drive well, but you'll also find a good EL Ghia is a very well sorted car. XTs are for sales reps, mate. Go the EL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

i'd definatley go the EL Ghia but im biased...love the eseries
i think the base model BA's are too bland.
what are you going for, a luxo car or a new car? work that out then you can decide on what car you want
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'm also very biased as I love the e-series. So I'd be choosing the EL Ghia as well.
Old 25-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #13
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
XTs are for sales reps, mate. Go the EL.
Whilst you may think that, someone who looks at an EL might think "EL's are for P Plater's who can't afford a BA". Works both ways.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Thanks for all of the input everyone, I'm still undecided but I haven't yet driven an EL. I think a bit more research and definately some test drives are the way to go. I'll keep you posted.
Greg.
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
niko
likes falcon's

only benifet i see in a later model BA over EL would be repairs suspension wise. and just general wear

but other than that a ghia is better than any standard falcon !
Old 25-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
only benifet i see in a later model BA over EL would be repairs suspension wise. and just general wear

but other than that a ghia is better than any standard falcon !
i love my e-series, owned 4, but mate you're dillusional! i guarantee if you owned one (i've had 3), you'd change your mind.

Fords are Fords, and i love them all, but i'd take a ba series base model over a 9 - 11 year old ghia any day of the week. The EL would be heaps cheaper to mod and fix, which is good, but they are truly worlds apart.
Old 25-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

if they werent worlds apart i'd be asking why....... it goes without saying that a ba would be much more refined than an EL

its the same as an EL is far more refined than an XF.......thats the difference here.
Old 25-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

You would want to find the world's best EL Ghia to chose one over a BA IMO
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #19
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
You would want to find the world's best EL Ghia to chose one over a BA IMO
Nope sorry, I already own that so he cant have it. :evilsasmo haha. jks

RedXR8, you did say you didnt want to spend much money. So purchase price would point towards an EL Ghia. However you are going to have to obviously spend money on things down the track. Not that you wouldnt not have to with a BA, just that the EL will require a bit more love from you to keep running nice.
If you can afford it, id go a BA XT. If you want to save money and still have a damn nice car, maybe the EL.

Thought about an AU Ghia at all ?
Old 25-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well I guess I am biased aswell, but Ive driven my far share of BA's and I am telling you now they wont be much chop once a few k's get on them.

My Ghia has hit 240000 and still runs like a charm, shocks etc could do with an update (slowly getting there).

Although, I would take a BF XT over an EL Ghia, and if you can find a 5 speed XT!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #21
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I guess I am biased aswell, but Ive driven my far share of BA's and I am telling you now they wont be much chop once a few k's get on them.
in what regard ? my XT had nearly 130,000km on it and it was smooth quiet and powerful.. no rattles whatsoever. My first el ghia had 160,000 on it and sounded like santa's sley coming over the ridge..
Old 25-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
in what regard ? my XT had nearly 130,000km on it and it was smooth quiet and powerful.. no rattles whatsoever. My first el ghia had 160,000 on it and sounded like santa's sley coming over the ridge..
Well I guess the ones I drove had accelerated mileage, but bits falling off, clunking like a mofo (diff bushes), 4spd was poo.

I guess the EL's suffer from the same fate, but B series are just a tad newer....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #23
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I guess the ones I drove had accelerated mileage, but bits falling off, clunking like a mofo (diff bushes), 4spd was poo.

I guess the EL's suffer from the same fate, but B series are just a tad newer....
do you not think the accelerated mileage EL's would rattle and clunk, bits falling off etc??
you cant compare pre release T cars to road going cars al, you of all people should know that
Old 25-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #24
EDXR6T

Get a BA XT and look like every other stoog on the road.

You would look like a total S1CKNT in a pimpin EL Ghia, who wants that cr4p.
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

If it was my money I'd be going the BA, but at the end of the day it's your choice and you have to decide what you like.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
do you not think the accelerated mileage EL's would rattle and clunk, bits falling off etc??
you cant compare pre release T cars to road going cars al, you of all people should know that
Not T cars mate, well most were, even post production ones still get a workout.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane