Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default (Not car related) Outboard motors... Is the Evinrude FICHT Ram a good motor...

I know it's not car related, but with the amount of various different type off members we have here on AFF I thought this place was a good place to ask the question... Basically I am looking at buying a boat that has a 250 Evinrude with FICTH ram injection.. I would like to know if these motors are renowned for common faults or failures, are they reliable and quiet (for a 2 stroke), and are they fuel efficient (again, for a 2 stroke).. I am not in the position to take this boat for a test run as it is interstate, and I am merely doing my homework before I move on it.....

Let me also point out.. I am not interested in a 4 stroke or a smaller motor.. My question regarding quietness and economy of the FICTH, is how do they compare to other 2 stroke motors of the same size and age.. This particular motor is a 2003 model

Also do any of you know a good boating Forum I could go to.. I googled a couple, but all off them did not have much traffic, and I feel it is a wast of time asking a question if your only going to get 1 or 2 replies....

Thanks guys

Jabba

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #2
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the motor

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 22-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
chrispie123
Banned

they are as reliable as any other 2 stroke outboard motor, omc went broke a few years ago and now bomardier have taken over and seem to have the ball rolling, parts turn around is very good, personally where i work is a mercury dealer and we still have no trouble in getting servicable items the next day if not the day after,
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

GOOD motors!!! The 250m would be alittle thursty, but its 250 h.p after all.. Evinrude and Johnson are the same....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #5
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id go for a honda but they are 4 stroke and cost a lot of $$$$$$$$

but you get what you pay for!
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispie123
they are as reliable as any other 2 stroke outboard motor, omc went broke a few years ago and now bomardier have taken over and seem to have the ball rolling, parts turn around is very good, personally where i work is a mercury dealer and we still have no trouble in getting servicable items the next day if not the day after,
Thanks for the input... How does the FICHT compare to the new E-tech.. Is there a big differance between the 2...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 22-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
GOOD motors!!! The 250m would be alittle thursty, but its 250 h.p after all.. Evinrude and Johnson are the same....
My first outboard was a Johnson, and I have alway like the Johnson/Evinrude. And now that Bombardier is the owner, if would off thought that would be a better motor to have....

What the differance between the 250m and the 250hp and how do you tell the differance..

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 22-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
id go for a honda but they are 4 stroke and cost a lot of $$$$$$$$

but you get what you pay for!
I don't disagree, the 4 stroke a awesome for fuel economy. But 2 stroke technoligy is getting improving and catching up.... I read some were that the Evinrude E-Tech was as economical as a 4 stroke at cruising speed and more economical at trolling pace. But it sucked more juice at ***......

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 22-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #9
rodderz

Matt I'm in the same boat (no pun intended), I'm looking at getting a boat this year sometime, but mostly for fishing so not really a motor of this size. Although I did do a bit of skiing as a youngin and evinrude do have a good name in ski boat outboards

Give this a forum a go http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=8 it's more fishing related but it gets a fair bit of traffic and some of the guys may know some info about it
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Matt I'm in the same boat (no pun intended), I'm looking at getting a boat this year sometime, but mostly for fishing so not really a motor of this size. Although I did do a bit of skiing as a youngin and evinrude do have a good name in ski boat outboards

Give this a forum a go http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewforum.php?f=8 it's more fishing related but it gets a fair bit of traffic and some of the guys may know some info about it
Cheers Rod....

Yep I am after a bit of fishing also,, But mainly family orintated activities, Such as skiing and tubing.. Camping also.... Going the big motor, as I hate being short on power...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 29-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I am the owner of a 19ft Seafarer Vermont with a 250hp Evinrude.... Pick it up on Saturday from Newcastle.. I will be driving down on Friday night, doing a water test on sat morning and towing the boat back to the goldy on Sat morning..... Can't wait

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 30-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
rigs
village idiot

she looks mint mate - have a ball
rigs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Gunns
Banned

Not to sure about the 250 but the ficht 115 arn't that great, 2 friends have 19 foot hanies V19C both with twin 115 ficht's and between them they have done 3 power heads, which were covered under warrenty. But doesn't give you much faith when you are 50+ km out off the contental shelf. But that why they run 2 engines.

I run a 175hp Yamaha saltwater series 1 on my Seafarer Victory, and it has never missed a beat.
Also a 70hp evenrude 1982 model on the Swiftcraft Sea Ranger, but this engine is on it last legs, Needs a rebuild and hydraulics’ overhauled. Fair chance I will just buy a new engine or a Ex demo one. Looking at a 70 or 80 Yamaha 4 stroke, but $$$$ might see me with another 2 stroke.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post