Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Daewoo Barina scores record low on safety ratings???

I heard today that the Daewoo Barina scored a record lowest score ever recorded on the safety ratings for small cars. I dont know where or how this testing was done - was it a mag or something bigger?

I also heard the Toyota Yaris did really well and the Fiesta wasnt mentioned....

Anyway, I guess we all knew that the Barina would be terrible, even for a small car but the thing is that when it was badged as a Daewoo, people sort of knew it would be crap and just cheap, risky motoring. But Holden getting a hold of it and putting their badge on it, is a little deceptive and irresponsible in my view. People do trust the Holden brand (as the ads say) and I guess many potential owners/buyers are thinking that because it is a HOLDEN Barina, it is safer than something like a Daewoo - when that is all it is!

Anyone have any more info about this?

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

I know a few new barina owners that are in denial about the it being a daewoo. its sad sad sad people dont know what they guess. but its their problem they cant tell the shoddy quality of everything.
I just hope no misguided buyer gets hurt because of it.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
XRchic
Hello

I suspect that what I heard was a discussion about testing done late 2006... still shocking though.

Old 17-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
ltd
Force Fed Fords

What is it with Barina owners and denial? I even showed someone the build plate where it has Daewoo and the poofy logo on it and she still argues it is a holden.

Mind you she did celebrate when she didn't get 15 or less for her TER in the HSC, so I am assuming she is incredibly dumb.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

LOL. They're nothing alike! :P

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

LOL, some poeple just don't have a clue.

I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 17-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the Holden Kalos had a 2-star safety rating while Yaris got 5-star for their optional 7 airbags. The Fiesta has 4 stars.

Some links of interest :-

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...ings.php?id1=1

http://www.aaa.asn.au/ancap.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJnYEUwa8pA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCAoeFgiiWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Hmm, yes you're right.... different wheels.

Last edited by Ives; 17-03-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia

lol, I saw a daewoo badged one the other night and thought oh the new barina, could not believe how little Holden did to change the look of these POS.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
XRated
Shoot.

The Australian public amuses me! It's crazy how Holden can bring in so much Korean rubbish, whack on a Holden badge and still sell them in decent numbers. They really have their marketing down-pat compared to Ford Oz, even though Ford Oz import quality European vehicles that are leagues ahead (technology, comfort, design, construction).

If only we had Holden's marketing prowess......

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
The Australian public amuses me! It's crazy how Holden can bring in so much Korean rubbish, whack on a Holden badge and still sell them in decent numbers. They really have their marketing down-pat compared to Ford Oz, even though Ford Oz import quality European vehicles that are leagues ahead (technology, comfort, design, construction).

If only we had Holden's marketing prowess......

Well the Focus is built in SA and the first model did have it's share of quality issues.
Old 17-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
XRchic
Hello

I saw a Barina and an Astra side by side in a dealer the other day. The difference in paint finish, overall quality, panel fit, quality of headlights, seats, bumpers etc was huge. The Astra looked chunky, sleek and well built and the Barina actually looked unfinished and really poorly made.

And yes, it is Holden marketing - to the point that they can actually fool people into thinking it really is a Holden and not what it really is.... Still, plenty of people in that marketing category (dare I say, 20 year old hairdressers and secretaries - just to drop political correctness for just a sec) really do not care about a safety rating or some quality issues. They think it looks cute, it is ultra cheap (and affordable on lower incomes), economical and it is a Barina (THE chic's car) and most of them dont think beyond that... Their Dads or boyfriends probably own Commodores, so it feels right for them to buy the Barina... And Holden market them that way and always have - remember the "Beep Beep Barina" ads, the "Sportsgirl Barina" and the other various very chic-oriented ads?

They are marketing to the one demographic who does not care about quality or safety, and they do care about price so that is Heaven to a marketing person or a bean counter...

So yes, Holden marketing is to blame, but buyers are also responsible for sales figures too - if they were smarter, the marketing just wouldnt work.

Old 17-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
BLDNUT01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Well the Focus is built in SA and the first model did have it's share of quality issues.
Do you mean the 1st Astra,s cos apperantly they came in a box and just had to be screwed and glued together at holdens elizabeth plant
Old 17-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

If you are asking me, I mean the current Astras - sitting next to Daewoo Barinas - the other day. LOL.

Old 17-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I like to correct people who talk to me about cars. Whenever they say "Holden Barina", I correct them and say "You mean the Daewoo Barina, don't you?" hehehe Makes some of them angry sometimes. hehehe

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
irsa76
Snoopping

The Barina has had a checkered history. The orginal Suzuki thing was fairly average. Then we got the European Corsa and it suddenly made the Suzuki versions look pretty good. To Holden's, well OPEL really, credit the later Corsa based cars were pretty good. The problem was they were starting to get expensive and sales started to drop. Holden has given up selling quality, safe vehicles sourced from Europe in favour of simply selling heaps of cars. Sure it works in the short term, but the long term image of the entire range will suffer. And speaking from personal experince on Daewoos, they aren't that crash hot. Thankfully my youngest sister just bought a new Yaris. And before anyone says she should have bought a Fiesta, when your Uncle runs a Toyota dealer you tend to go that way. I just wish he still sold Fords.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I think the Holden Kalos had a 2-star safety rating while Yaris got 5-star for their optional 7 airbags. The Fiesta has 4 stars.
These ratings are biased towards passive safety, not active safety though. Which is probably a good idea, because most drivers ability to avoid crashing through driving skill is limited - they never get to practice these skills, nor would they want to. The Fiesta is routinely praised as the best handler in its class, and I'd much rather screech around an obstacle than run into it, even with seven airbags. The Yaris I think is better pitched for the masses, however.
ads is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
The Barina has had a checkered history. The orginal Suzuki thing was fairly average. Then we got the European Corsa and it suddenly made the Suzuki versions look pretty good. To Holden's, well OPEL really, credit the later Corsa based cars were pretty good. The problem was they were starting to get expensive and sales started to drop. Holden has given up selling quality, safe vehicles sourced from Europe in favour of simply selling heaps of cars. Sure it works in the short term, but the long term image of the entire range will suffer. And speaking from personal experince on Daewoos, they aren't that crash hot. Thankfully my youngest sister just bought a new Yaris. And before anyone says she should have bought a Fiesta, when your Uncle runs a Toyota dealer you tend to go that way. I just wish he still sold Fords.

I remember getting told that the previous Barina (before the Daewoo) was actually made in Malaysia.
Old 17-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I remember getting told that the previous Barina (before the Daewoo) was actually made in Malaysia.
It was made in Spain.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I think it needs to be addressed more so that the public becomes more aware what cars are safe and what cars are not. You can skimper on quality, finish, material to make a car cheaper but safety must be enforced especially for a car that is targeted to young drivers.

If a car gets a 2 star rating they should be enforced to improve until it's 3 stars at the very minimum. I honesty don't blame Daewoo because they can't make a car to save themselves but Holden really should know better
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #20
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Mmm, I 'trust' few brands of anything really.

No surprise re the Daewoo.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are morons.

They think that all Holdens are unique cars. Holden has a history of re-badging overseas models. In fact, almost all their cars were re-badged models, even their "world class" Commodore.

I love the cook on people's faces when I tell them that the Commodore has been Opel based up until last year, while the Falcon has been unique since 1972. No, no nono no no. We can't have that. I'm full of poopie.

The fact of life is that people will buy because of the badge. Explains a C180.

The Holden badge I believe is overrated and the 2 reasons why they are favoured by so many is a) Bathurst and V8 wins (ignore Ford's recent wins though! -they don't count apparently) and b) superior advertising/lying.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:06 AM   #22
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

They are horrid, horrid little cars. The boss bought one (as the service vehicle) when they first came out badged as Holden (saw the price, not the brand thankfully) but he is regretting it. It only has 30,000kms on it and it is already falling to bits. The engine is just plain rooted, more squeaks from the suspension than a dodgy matress and the whole dash rattles. It's been in for warranty repairs for longer than it has actually been driven.

As for the safety aspect, well let's just say that if I need to go onsite, I grab the XF and a stack of notes from the accounts person for fuel.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:16 AM   #23
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I wasn't aware that it was the lowest rating ever,surley ther must have been other small cars that have gotten 2 stars (mabey the daewoo kalos :P ).

I do remember reading in quite a few places (my local ford dealer for one),that the deawoo barina was the first car to go backwards in ratings,the spanish one was much safer.
Old 18-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #24
ford1
Starter Motor

you know that new HSV vxr astra thats just came out? check the badge on the centre of the steering wheel. its a opel badge. how stingy. i woulnt want a hsv badge on the outside with an opel badge in the inside. and the vivas and barinas dont have the 'HOLDEN' lettering on their ***** either(they must feel embarrassed to put it on them!)
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #25
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Designed/engineered in Europe. If it's feasible to produce them elsewhere, why not?

Mum's Focus (the last model) is very rigid and tightly built. I'm very impressed with the overall quality and refinement. It absolutely leaves any Hyundai/Daewoo I've been in.

My old man has the Astra equivalent that feels quite similar to the Focus.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Designed/engineered in Europe. If it's feasible to produce them elsewhere, why not?

Mum's Focus (the last model) is very rigid and tightly built. I'm very impressed with the overall quality and refinement. It absolutely leaves any Hyundai/Daewoo I've been in.

My old man has the Astra equivalent that feels quite similar to the Focus.
It is better than the Daewoo's but the first of the models had alot of quality issues. FoA had to send the paint engineers over to fix the problem as it was getting out of hand.
Old 19-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #27
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford1
you know that new HSV vxr astra thats just came out? check the badge on the centre of the steering wheel. its a opel badge. how stingy. i woulnt want a hsv badge on the outside with an opel badge in the inside. and the vivas and barinas dont have the 'HOLDEN' lettering on their ***** either(they must feel embarrassed to put it on them!)
meh GMholden, GMchev, GMdaewoo, GMopel who cares, they are all the same company, a badge Doesnt mean anything, Its simply all marketing, which fools most people
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

holy crap, i just watched the video links of the barina crashing, im never hoping into one of those things
bigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #29
67RCE
Banned

O Crap, guess what my company thrashbox is.... A Holwoo Karina, to make it worse, its an AUTO
67RCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #30
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to work with this older (should have been retired) guy who seemd to like saying: "every time there is an accident involving a Hyundai, somebody DIES!" He always emphasised the word DIES!, I kinda stuck in my head. He had a Commodore wagon with one of those big storage boxes on the roof, I reckon that's where he slept. Him and his wife commuted between Sydney and Melbourne, they were kinda weird. If anyone ever had The McBain team teachers at your school you will know what I mean. We had to rebuild our place after they left. The circus moved on to Albury, someone out there must know them.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post