Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Commodore 6's

howdy guys I'm having one of those work mate argument's and i'm hoping someone here can help me, I know its commodores but if you could help me out that would be great, OK here goes: Are the six cylinder 3.8 injected motors fitted in a vr to vy called an ecotec?

bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

vs up to vx i am 100% sure its ecotec. vn to vr was a buik 6. vz ues alloytec didnt they?
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
XRLightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonspeed
howdy guys I'm having one of those work mate argument's and i'm hoping someone here can help me, I know its commodores but if you could help me out that would be great, OK here goes: Are the six cylinder 3.8 injected motors fitted in a vr to vy called an ecotec?
As far as I know you are right

We just know him as THE MANTIS

-------------

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria
Daily Drive:
2005 GU IV Patrol, 4.8l Petrol, Manual, Steel Bullbar, Towbar, Electronic Brakes and Cargo Barrier.
Toy Drive:
1968 XT Falcon Ute - Dead Stock, Original and ALWAYS Garaged
XRLightening is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

I think maybe VS series II was ecotec (I think series I wasnt, not 100% sure though) and up to VX as has already been said, got a mate with a VR II and it isnt ecotec
Old 15-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

VS series 1 started ECOTEC
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
HgXR6T
Starter Motor

I think VS series 1 through to VY series 2 was all ecotec.

VN to VS series 1 was buick.

Only VZ onwards is alloytec.
HgXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK cool ill clarify a little more, said workmate owns a vr, I told him it had a ecotec in it and he said it didn't, Who's right?

I thought an ecotec was just a fancy cover holden put on the later motors to make them look different? mabee a different plenum too?
Old 15-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK its the same old hoary lump ie. Buick V6. Ecotec was just a name to make that lump sound more appealing
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
HgXR6T
Starter Motor

I think power rose from 130 kw to around 147 kw with the ecotec. But lost some low down torque, or so say all the VN owners.

Had some different engine internals iirc. Something about being more effiecient and lowering emissions, probably just holden bs.

Quoted from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VS_Commodore

"The new ecotec engine was not at its core the standard Buick V6 found in the VR. They started off with a totally new engine and only retained the dimensions of bore and stroke. The ecotec had 13% more power over the VR and 5% better fuel economy. The compression ratio was also increased from 8.5:1 on the VR to 9.4:1 on the VS. Also cross bolted mains are used in the ecotec with the same crank retained from the VR. The block was decked 1" and also the ecotec featured shorter, lighter rods with tin plated pistons and a floating pin design. The head design was revised greatly from the VR with the ECOTEC now features symmetrical ports with larger intake and exhaust valves. The end result was an engine that put out 147 kW, a 17 kW improvement on the VR, however the 0-100 km time of the new ecotec VS was only better than the VR's by 0.2 of a second."
HgXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
AFAIK its the same old hoary lump ie. Buick V6. Ecotec was just a name to make that lump sound more appealing

ha ha thats what i told him.
Old 15-03-2007, 10:02 PM   #11
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HgXR6T
I think power rose from 130 kw to around 147 kw with the ecotec. But lost some low down torque, or so say all the VN owners.

Had some different engine internals iirc. Something about being more effiecient and lowering emissions, probably just holden bs.

Quoted from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VS_Commodore

"The new ecotec engine was not at its core the standard Buick V6 found in the VR. They started off with a totally new engine and only retained the dimensions of bore and stroke. The ecotec had 13% more power over the VR and 5% better fuel economy. The compression ratio was also increased from 8.5:1 on the VR to 9.4:1 on the VS. Also cross bolted mains are used in the ecotec with the same crank retained from the VR. The block was decked 1" and also the ecotec featured shorter, lighter rods with tin plated pistons and a floating pin design. The head design was revised greatly from the VR with the ECOTEC now features symmetrical ports with larger intake and exhaust valves. The end result was an engine that put out 147 kW, a 17 kW improvement on the VR, however the 0-100 km time of the new ecotec VS was only better than the VR's by 0.2 of a second."
Well looks like im wrong then, its got the same crank in it though.
Old 15-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonspeed
Well looks like im wrong then, its got the same crank in it though.

Bugger bet my left nut on that one to.
Old 15-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #13
redranga

I think it was called ecotec because it was the first commy to have sequential firing of the injectors which gives better economy
redranga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the book - Holden the classic models

VS- Commodore
Major modifications to the 3.8 litre 6 made it virtually a new unit.
Power was up 13%.
The engine had a new cylinder block and manifolds, reshaped cylinder heads, lightweight pistons and its compression ratio was increased to 9.4:1.
The engine was a good deal smoother than the VN unit.
Holden gave its 'new' V6 the anacronym ecotec, for emmissions and consumption optimisation TECHnology.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's actually VR series 2 that started the ECOTEC. VN up to series 1 VR had the early motors. The ecotec has shorter deck height, pistons and rods along with siamesed ports on the cylinder heads.
Old 16-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #16
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

My son has a VR series II 12/94 its not a ECOTEC.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #17
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Whatever they are, 2 tried me last night. One each side of me.... Suckers.....
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #18
LTDHO
The one and only

Ecotech came out in VS1.

If ya mate know Holdens, then he should know this.

I worked for a company that was working on the developement of some components back in early/mid 90's.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ECOTEC was a revised engine that Holden had a lot of problems with when it was introduced. Used heaps of oil apparently due to "low friction internals" I believe. There are 4 cylinder GM motors are called ECOTEC as well, eg in the Vectra.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
VQST80
The Insider

S1 VS ecotech was born.

It has a shorter stroke than the older buick engines

Go have a look at st comms for info..
VQST80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #21
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

the ecotechs were also used in one one of the models that also uses the alloy tech, u can usually tell how by the badges, one will have "v6 alloytech" and some will have "v6" the ones with just the v6 are ecotech but they squezzed 152kw out of that one. ecotech started in the vs1, totally revised engine.
Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #22
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetus
the ecotechs were also used in one one of the models that also uses the alloy tech, u can usually tell how by the badges, one will have "v6 alloytech" and some will have "v6" the ones with just the v6 are ecotech but they squezzed 152kw out of that one. ecotech started in the vs1, totally revised engine.
I think you are refering to the VY and VZ models. They both look similar but it is the VY that has the ecotec (152kw) and the VZ that has the alloytec (175/172kw).
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3
I think you are refering to the VY and VZ models. They both look similar but it is the VY that has the ecotec (152kw) and the VZ that has the alloytec (175/172kw).
cheers wasnt to sure on that, probably cause i dont really care but yeh thanks.
Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I think there is a difference in the badging of the 190 alloytec to the 175 too.

Last edited by BENT_8; 16-03-2007 at 06:16 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #25
PoMmYwOG

being an ex commodore nut(i have seen the light) i can ensure you the ecotech came in from the vs series 1 up untill the last vy series 2. The ecotech IMO was a much better engine than the buick, i had a vp before my vs and the vs was much smoother and had heaps better top end , although the vp would launch harder off the line. The buick was a very rough engine, i had a vr next to me at the lights yesterday , damn it was noisy and rattly.

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #26
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buick 3800s, Ecotecs meh.

As far as Im concerned, the best 6 to ever go into a Commodore, was the Nissan RB30.

I'm not biased though. hehehe
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan

As far as Im concerned, the best 6 to ever go into a Commodore, was the Nissan RB30.

Now that would have to be the most intelligent post today. :eclipsee_
I'll have one in white with the pop up front thanks
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only Nissan had built the VL Calais instead of holden............ Would probably still own mine.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have said that.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #30
Sladdo
COMING SOON: Sleeper XF

The VN Series 1 3800 went the 'hardest' out of other Commodore motors. There have been reports a stock VN Series 1 3800 has beaten a VZ ALLOYTEC in a race & i wouldnt be surprised if it did. Also reports of VN's pulling 250Km/h stock without the speed limiter....

As with VR & VS, the VR had the Buick 3800 & the VS had the ECOTEC & having a VR & VS in the car yard i work at i can tell you the Buick 3800 in the VR is a harsher/louder motor than the ECOTEC & id rather a VR over a VS anyday. I love giving the VR a rev cause it sounds so beautiful. And having been in both cars when being revved at 5500rpm+ the VR seems to want more & more.
Sladdo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post