Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Default Ford wagons confirmed

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/Articl...eID=30613&vf=2

Ford confirms a new Falcon wagon will join the Commodore wagon in 2008.

The traditional Aussie wagon appears to have a future, despite a shift away from wagons by a number of manufacturers.

Ford is forging ahead with a wagon version of the next generation Falcon, due in showrooms early in 2008.

Ford Australia president Tom Gorman confirmed the wagon would definitely play a part in the new-look Falcon range that's expected to be displayed at next year's Melbourne motor show.

The Falcon wagon will join a Commodore wagon - due late in 2007 - as the only two locally-manufactured wagons based on a sedan.

"We think there's a place for the wagon for the foreseeable future," says Gorman. "We still see us playing in that segment. The Falcon wagon continues to be very strong ... it's a tool of trade vehicle for a lot of people."

The revelation comes as wagon sales continue to slip and buyers turn to four-wheel drives.

Only a few years ago all four local manufacturers - Ford, Holden, Mitsubishi and Toyota - offered a wagon in their large car portfolio.

Not only have Toyota and Mitsubishi stopped producing wagons locally, but they have also dropped some of their other wagon offerings, including the Corolla.

Like many manufacturers, Toyota is relying on vehicles such as the RAV4 and next-generation Kluger - due late in 2007 with a two-wheel drive variant - to appeal to those looking for a wagon.

While fleets and families will welcome the return of some fresh wagon metal, it appears they will have two distinct choices with the large locally-made wagons; Holden and Ford seem to be heading different directions in the design and intended function of their vehicles.

Neither company is giving away details of their next generation wagons.

Holden's VE Commodore wagon is expected to deliver a more sporty appearance and driving experience than is typical of locally-produced wagons. The compromise is that it may not have the interior space Commodore wagons have had in the past.

That will come partly because the VE Commodore wagon is believed to be reverting to the regular Commodore platform, rather than the long-wheelbase platform used in the Statesman/Caprice as it has done for almost 20 years.

The Commodore wagon is expected to have a sleeker look inspired by some popular European wagons. One source says its rear design looks similar to the Opel Vectra wagon in Europe; hardly surprising given Opel and Holden are both part of the General Motors family.

The decision to build the Commodore wagon on the short wheelbase also opens the door for a sporty SS version, something that hasn't been around since 2004.

Ford's Falcon wagon, on the other hand, is believed to be more of a tool of trade vehicle, with the emphasis on practicality, price and load-carrying ability.

Whether Ford retains the current wagon's archaic leaf-spring rear suspension - which is cheap to manufacture and good for heavy loads but average for handling - remains to be seen.

But the Falcon wagon is expected to offer impressive interior space aimed at appealing to fleet buyers and those who need load-lugging ability.

Ford will continue to pitch its Falcon-based Territory wagon to families and private buyers, who typically prefer a more stylish vehicle.

Indeed, private buyers - always the most difficult market to attract to the fleet-oriented Falcon and Commodore large car segment - prove important at some stage during a wagon's life span.

According to Santo Amoddio, the managing director of Glass's Information Services (the bible for used car values) used Falcon and Commodore wagons hold their value better than the sedan variants, which have experienced poor resale in recent years.

"There's good secondary demand for those sorts of cars on the used car markets, particularly by families but also with tradesman," says Amoddio, who points out that the boom in four-wheel drive sales has seen demand for second-hand wagons drop.

As for which strategy will prove more effective - Ford's or Holden's - that's up for debate. Or perhaps each will find its place in the more competitive automotive world.

See what people have to say on teh blog here:
http://blogs.drive.com.au/2007/02/fo...uture_for.html

05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I wondering how much cash will be thrown at the wagon, if any.

I hope they change the rear end, Ford have a history of not, its been around since 1998!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I think thats excellent news. However I think it will be a mistake if Ford dont even try to compete with Holden in the sporty/looks department.... FPV Wagon anyone? hehe
Also I think the wagon sales have slipped due to the lack of variants that Ford decided to offer.... how many wagon choices are available in BA-BF?
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont think a FPV wagon would work, but a n/a XR one would. People want a nice looking car, why get a XT when the XR is not that much more.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
... how many wagon choices are available in BA-BF?
XT and Futura, I dont think the SR is available in the Wagon.
Old 16-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is some good news. Ford may have woken up to the fact not everyone needs or wants a territory. A lot of fleet people still need them I.E telstra and other people such as sales reps.

Polyal look how good the FTG Transplant worked. !!
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c

Polyal look how good the FTG Transplant worked. !!
Well aware of that beast mate, but we are different, were freaks here and the general public wouldn't give two hoots about it.

Ive seen some AU SR wagons and they actually look alright.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well aware of that beast mate, but we are different, were freaks here and the general public wouldn't give two hoots about it.

Ive seen some AU SR wagons and they actually look alright.
Those AUII or AUIII wagons sold like hotcakes i remember when they came out! There is about 3 or 4 in the work carpark that were optioned with LPG, the owners dont want to get rid of them!!!

I think if they did a similar thing again with dedicated LPG, nice wheels, better stance and sports trim they would be on to a winner
Old 16-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
XRated
Shoot.

Let's hope the design team can make the side-profile actually flow.... Like a Commodore station wagon : I don't recall any other manufacturer making such an awkward side-profile of a wagon (EA-BF).

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just hope they do change the back end on them ... Ford never seemed to get any of the wagons to look half decent.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Thats good news.
I really wish they had a XR6 & XR8 option though
Old 16-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

I would buy an FPV version wagon if they came out

I'm holding back on selling my VX until i see the orion! I was so close to buying a VE sv6, until i started hearing of all their problems..

Plus i really am starting to need a wagon as a daily

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

They need an RTV varient of the wagooon!

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I wondering how much cash will be thrown at the wagon, if any.

I hope they change the rear end, Ford have a history of not, its been around since 1998!
Sos the Holden, actually 1997...

Wagons have always been long lived just like the *** end of the utes.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I know LOTS of family guys that would buy an XR wagon.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just thinking about a new wagon...

Falcon should firstly, change the back. The backs of the Falcons have looked absolutely terrible since 1998. The lights do not appeal to me and that back window just looks odd.

The Commodore have stuck with basically the same lights and the same, square window the entire time and I think it works. They only refine it so it looks better.

The rears of the E-series wagons look great.

Falcon MUST change the look of the wagon though. But I am not into the sporty stuff. Ford is looking more towards a practical vehicle. If they release the wagon in an XR series, that will be adequate for me.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news

I guess it will be a big LWB fairly robust (rugged/crude) wagon for telstra/commander and other fleets. But it wouldnt be too long a stretch to see a XR6 version.
If you want a luxo civilsed wagon, go territory (or mondeo?)

I think the X and E series of wagons all looked ok from the back, esp in darker colours with tinted glass, but the Au-BA is a real problem. Hope they dont just graft the Orion front and interior onto the BA back.

And if they are developing LWB for Falcon, then Fairlane/LTD could have life yet.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #18
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
how many wagon choices are available in BA-BF?
not sure about the number of the choices but i was under the impression that they didn't make any after the BA series 1.

i cant remember what month the series 1 BA's ended, does anyone have a newer wagon than that???
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #19
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see plenty of BFII wagons about, mostly white with big blue stripes up the side.
In fact I have seen more BFII wagons then sedans, but then its hard to tell XR/FPV BFII from older models.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
They need an RTV varient of the wagooon!
They sort of do ... it's called the Territory.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
3vXT

actually i just had a look on the ford website, **** i'm an idiot
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #22
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
They sort of do ... it's called the Territory.
Yeah sorta, the Tezza is heavier and chunkier and I think it doesn't have the same width in the rear as the Wagon.

I'd have thought that a RTV Wagon would be lighter than the Territory and cheaper.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
pHaT`eL
Banned

Quote:
Yeah sorta, the Tezza is heavier and chunkier and I think it doesn't have the same width in the rear as the Wagon.

I'd have thought that a RTV Wagon would be lighter than the Territory and cheaper.

Mmmm.. v8 wagon with a locker.. lol!!
pHaT`eL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:

Terri's arn't as long as a falcon,they're just as wide.
And they're fairly cheap anyway,whats a new base model reardrive worth?38K? They wouldn't build much of an rtv wagon for that.

The only problem I see with an xr or luxo variant of the wagon is it would have the potentiol (sp) erode into Tezza sales,which is the last thing that Ford wants.They don't need to be competing with themselves.
Old 16-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #25
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I just hope they do change the back end on them ... Ford never seemed to get any of the wagons to look half decent.
They would. Just remember the BA was just a facelifted AU, so the BA wagons are essentially just AUs with the BA interior and front end. Orion on the other hand will be a completely new generation, meaning every panel on every variant should be new

I seriously hope throw some money at them. Falcon wagons used to have so many choices. You could go auto or manual, 6 cylinder or V8, on the EAs you could even get Fairmont Ghia wagons and on ED-EF you could get XR6 wagons. Now you have the choice of XT or Futura. You can only have a 6 cylinder, only an auto, where's the choice in that?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #26
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Well they dont make them like mine anymore..... havent for quite a while.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 03:53 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
They would. Just remember the BA was just a facelifted AU, so the BA wagons are essentially just AUs with the BA interior and front end. Orion on the other hand will be a completely new generation, meaning every panel on every variant should be new

I seriously hope throw some money at them. Falcon wagons used to have so many choices. You could go auto or manual, 6 cylinder or V8, on the EAs you could even get Fairmont Ghia wagons and on ED-EF you could get XR6 wagons. Now you have the choice of XT or Futura. You can only have a 6 cylinder, only an auto, where's the choice in that?
Yeah I can't picture the Orion being a carryover wagon. It would need new side panels because of the AU/BA shoulder line. Not to mention the wagon roof that was unchanged from the AU.

I'm quietly hoping that if the wagon IS retained, that Ford will go the extra mile and adapt the control blade to the back end. This would keep it consistent with the Fairlane/LTD platform (and in turn make it easier to keep the LWB cars in the lineup).
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #28
ondori
Addicted User

ford could just remove the leafs and utilize the; 4-bar link solid axle, Watts link, coil springs, monotube shocks, reliable* load-leveling air springs and stabilizer bar, all old technology as used in the NA-NC fairlanes.

I hope the new wagon has the style of the euro S-Max and Galaxy, those vehicles look great..

*new system could be more reliable
ondori is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #29
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

IRS for Orion wagon please! and please no carry over EA-BF2 rear box.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #30
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
IRS for Orion wagon please! and please no carry over EA-BF2 rear box.
Nup if you ask me, I want a solid rear axle. Nothing holds the road with a bit of weight like the live axle. Tyre wear is superb as well. Not to mention weight. IRS just shrinks up into the wells and wallows all over the road when it has weight on it.