Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 95RON to 98RON = added power?

Ok, we'll take a BF XR8 for an example, 260kW/500Nm (Power and torque figures using premium unleaded (95RON)). Would an XR8 that's filled with 98RON PULP has "more power" than another that's filled with 95RON PULP?

Discuss.

Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Mate take it from me its not just the power increase if you notice it, an engine is tuned to a specified fuel say in your case 95ron, putting in 98 wont hurt it but it will keep the internals of the combustion chambers cleaner, backs of valves cleaner as it is less prone to carbon build up. When a cyl head comes in at work i can tell the differance just by looking at it.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
tyxr8ute

I think this would be related to tune so the motor will benefit from the added octane...? I would be keen to here comments!!!
2007 F6 Tornado #0067 - Lightning Strike

Member: FPV & XR Owners Club Of Victoria
tyxr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ran BP 98 in the BF XR6T until the caltex fuel card arrived, now running Vortex (95-96) or what ever it is and to be perfectly blunt, there is no difference between the 2 that i can feel anyway and I am getting the same economy out of the Vortex.

Cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
DAZZLER351

Exclamation fuel octane rating.

it would if it had a more aggressive tune DUH . more timing etc. your new to this arent you? arent you?? :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

If an engine is tuned to run 91RON then 98RON will do basically nothing.. except keep the engine in better condition in the long run. However if an engine is tuned for 98RON and an exact engine is tuned for 91RON, the 98RON engine will have more power as a rule fo thumb. It all comes down to what the engine is tuned to run.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
If an engine is tuned to run 91RON then 98RON will do basically nothing.. except keep the engine in better condition in the long run. However if an engine is tuned for 98RON and an exact engine is tuned for 91RON, the 98RON engine will have more power as a rule fo thumb. It all comes down to what the engine is tuned to run.
Yes Grasshopper,

Listen to the ghost I have my little girl tuned to run on 95Ron (only when I can't get 98), and 98 Ron the normal street tune 366 rwkw. Oh and there is one other tune the BIG tune..... thats for 100+ when all hell breaks loose.

Thats one of the advantages of the Edit you can have 3 tunes for your beast..... let me tell you the BIG tune removes all the wrinkles out of me ugly old face :evilking:

cheers

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

So what of these mythical knock sensors? To be honest, i dont even know if a BF utilises them... but anyways.

I would be suprised if ford had tuned ECU's to 98, then rely on the knock sensor to adjust for 95 or 91... but theoretically... it's possible... right?
Old 13-02-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
So what of these mythical knock sensors? To be honest, i dont even know if a BF utilises them... but anyways.

I would be suprised if ford had tuned ECU's to 98, then rely on the knock sensor to adjust for 95 or 91... but theoretically... it's possible... right?
Trust me, the knock sensors work, at least on the AU they do. I've had mine with a 98RON tune get a load of bad fuel and, on the dyno, it was very noticeable when it "detuned" itself.
As for Ford tunes, unless it states 95RON premium its tuned pig rich to run on 91RON. The knock sensor wont "adjust" to suit 95 or 98, it simply knocks back the timing for when you get a crappy batch of 91.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
DAZZLER351

Default sorry about that!

just read my thread ooops, HYPER KID pushed my buttons on another thread. use whatever you can, if cash is an issue run 91? i dont have time at the lights to change tunes when i rock up at the lights beside a holden or a (fiesta ) 4 that matter. xr6s beat me down the 1/4 at willowbank- BUT and i repeat BUT no turbo has beat me on the street(YET)and it hasnt been on a dyno yet. bp ultimate is my favourite fuel- damn must buy some underdrives... :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Schlimmeh
BF XR8 Ute = Bluesmobile

I got a stainless cat back muffler for my BF XR8 Ute - I'd like to know whether it stuffs the factory tuning or whether the chip self-adjusts for the difference. I guess that would include whether it tunes for the octane of the fuel.
Schlimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
Scott

Higher octane fuel makes a significant difference to the GT. From factory, I had a top end miss that Ford refused to acknowledge and the fix for it came through experimenting with different fuels. After much frustration with Ford, I went to a Shell servo, filled up with Optimax Extreme 100, went to my dyno'er and the miss just vanished. Did the same thing on 98 and the miss was gone too. The note on the exhaust is noticeably better and it sounds like somene got under the bonnet and tightened all the loose nuts and bolts.

At the ACT Dyno Day, the car ran 268.7rwkw, the highest for a GT on the day and one of the highest overall.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I was answering the ********** Question that he asked.

“Ok, we'll take a BF XR8 for an example, 260kW/500Nm (Power and torque figures using premium unleaded (95RON)). Would an XR8 that's filled with 98RON PULP has "more power" than another that's filled with 95RON PULP?

Discuss.”
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Higher octane petrol does nothing but deliver a more controlled burn. If your car is tuned for 95 and you put 98 in it, you're doing one thing... wasting your money.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Higher octane petrol does nothing but deliver a more controlled burn. If your car is tuned for 95 and you put 98 in it, you're doing one thing... wasting your money.
My XR8 is tuned for minimum octane of 95, but it will ping its nuts off on anything less than 98. so whats going on there then?

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
My XR8 is tuned for minimum octane of 95, but it will ping its nuts off on anything less than 98. so whats going on there then?
It means:

a) it's not tuned properly for 95RON; or
b) the 95RON fuel you are using is rubbish; or
c) there are other factors at play such as carbon build up; or
d) possibly a bunch of other things!
Old 14-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #17
james22
With da Warlords

A) Well the factory tune by ford is 95. It still pings with factory settings and ford has checked the ECU

B) I've been using BP Premium or Caltex Vortex 95, and it will ping.

C) ?.?.?

D) I agree, with you, could be anything from my MAF to... well anything lol

But if I run it on 98 its ok, so I just do that..

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 11:28 AM   #18
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't speak for anyone else but going from 95 ron to 98 ron in my car saw a significant increase in fuel economy. Can't really say I feel any power difference though it does run smoother. So add to that the fact the engine is running cleaner I dont think it is a waste of money at all.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 11:43 AM   #19
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If your car is tuned for 95 and you put 98 in it, you're doing one thing... wasting your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I dont think it is a waste of money at all.

To each of his own. I also dont think putting 98RON in a car with 95RON-tuned engine is a waste of money.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
To each of his own. I also dont think putting 98RON in a car with 95RON-tuned engine is a waste of money.
Well as I said I get more kays out of a tank of 98 ron than I do out of a tank of 95 ron. I have previosuly calculated the cost difference and it comes out in favour of the 98 stuff. Only way to test it is back to back over 2 months (1 month on each fuel). And of course it does differ from vehicle to vehicle but my car is not tuned for 98 ron.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #21
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Higher Octane = slower burn which can actually reduce power.

The Octane rating alone is only a measure of the knock tendancy of the fuel. An increase in octane rating alone is only needed high compression engine or, possibly, one with an aggressive advance curve

What's more important is the calorific value of the fuel. Higher Octane fuels often have a higher calorific value which can result in more power.

For some reason we associate the octane rating alone with more power which is inaccurate but related due to the above.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

BA and BF XR8's are actually tuned for 91 octane. Only on the turbos do they recommend 95, same goes for FPV's. XR8's are now the only model bar the current LPG engines that don't have knock sensors, and the LPG engines only dropped the knock sensors since BF2.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post