Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
ONBA1L

Default public servant

hii all. word of mouth has been going around saying if id be interesting in being a public servant? just wanted to know what exactly does a public servant do and what is the pay rate like roughly? at the moment im still looking for an electrical apprenticeship but still no luck. any ideas would help cheers.

ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
Simmo
White Lightning

if you want easy money through endless paperwork and like being a ***** to people, then public service is for you!
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
olfella
Cranky old bastard

You could have a look at http://www.psgazette.gov.au/. If you wanted an apprenticeship the only opportunities may be Mint, Parl House or Defence as most of that work is outsourced to private industry. Customs would be a good start for a young bloke...
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha, I failed the graduate public service exam by one point! You needed 7 out of 10 from combined uni grades and exam. I got 6 out of 10 but if I had done it on my final grades I would have passed. Luckily, I had teaching to fall back on.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo
if you want easy money through endless paperwork and like being a ***** to people, then public service is for you!
If you never want to be acknowledged for hard work and put up with attitudes like this, it would also be a great choice.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONBA1L
hii all. word of mouth has been going around saying if id be interesting in being a public servant? just wanted to know what exactly does a public servant do and what is the pay rate like roughly? at the moment im still looking for an electrical apprenticeship but still no luck. any ideas would help cheers.
Doing What exactly?

The term "Public Servant" could literally mean any occupation across any number of Government departments from the dunny cleaner to the PM himself and everything else in between.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #7
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
If you never want to be acknowledged for hard work and put up with attitudes like this, it would also be a great choice.
Absolutely. Its soul and mind destroying and you'll be disgusted at the way our taxes are wasted. Better to remain innocent and think those fat bureaucracies are doing wonderful things for themselves .... oops sorry I meant for our country.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
ONBA1L

kinda just put me off. did u need a degree or something to get in? the job was doing something for the police not quite sure. electrcian is the way for me as i like to meet new people in the industry and i like to move around i hate being in one spot. If anybody hears anything please notify or pm me. thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
sleepa
Ghia all the way

Mate, I wouldn't stress about some of the comments above. Public service is like any other job. You meet some twerps, you meet some top people. If you are keen on a trade and want the option to move around then a mob like the police, customs or defence are probably a pretty good option. As a general rule you'll find the pay is not super high but is comparable to private sector, it varies with the industry. (for example Public service IT generally pays lower than private sector). There are other benefits though. They are usually pretty generous on stuff like time off to study and training.

If you want to be a sparky and move about the place, have you considered the army/navy/air force?

(for the record, no I am not a public servant, but was one briefly and it was OK.)
sleepa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see some comments above about it being wastefull of tax payers $$ and that it mainly involves paperwork. I have found it completely opposite, as I find it a challenging and rewarding job.

One easy way to get your foot in the door is to put your name down at a temping agency, and then pick up a contract. That way you gain experience, and see what areas appeal to you.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
Interesting to see some comments above about it being wastefull of tax payers $$ and that it mainly involves paperwork. I have found it completely opposite, as I find it a challenging and rewarding job.

One easy way to get your foot in the door is to put your name down at a temping agency, and then pick up a contract. That way you gain experience, and see what areas appeal to you.
That's how I got in, haven't regretted it.

The base pay for an entry level call center CSR(APS3) in my agency is around $46K, no too bad, when you take into account things like flex time, super, study leave & paid overtime. For anyone coming in from the private sector, it's no way near as stressful. You are expected to do your fiar share of the work, but if you do you will be looked after.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I have worked in the public service (NSW) since 2000.

You can earn between about $35k and $400k per annum.

You have to deal with prejudices, and some other crap, but banks love your security if you want to buy property.

If you want to shine there are plenty of opportunities to make some rapid progression through the payscales.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #13
DODDO
Can man

ONBA1L, what part of the country do you live? If your after an electrical apprenticeship, try your local government owned electrical authority. They have great employment conditions and look after their employees pretty well.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a public servant and have been for almost the past 20 years. I can't recall in detail what I've done in that time, as it's not much :

I like the job security, the fact I get to sit on my bum behind a computer, wear shorts and Hawaiian Shirts, send email and workout what time I can sneak away from the office. Not career driven, I've only had a few promotions, but if you get into the right area, and your career minded, you can go anywhere.

I'd sooner be in an office all day than out doors in the heat, the cold and having to put up with crap from customers.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #15
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

I joined the public service in Canberra about 8 months ago, with about 15 year working in the community sector (social worker) and 2 years in the corporate sector (QBE Workers Compensation). I started in the middle management area and its OK, not like the old public service, you work you *** off in this area. More busy them most of the other jobs I have had in my life.

So what departments do all you who are public service, I work in FaCSIA – which makes sense being a social worker.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #16
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Being a Public Servant is actually quite interesting work I think. It is what you want it to be. You can apply to have your employer pay for some of your further education if it fits in with your work. You get 18% super and you get flex time. Job security is also a bonus because it means the banks love you and so do real estate agents if you're renting.

I'm sorta an APS but not really but everyone who works with me is APS. Its good work.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #17
bEAn86

Well im a member of the public so basically everyone is your boss and you are a slave. So jobs ill get you to do are ,nature strip need a trim, car need wash and finally taste test some Roundup to see if it will work on my weeds before i waste it on them.
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #18
XRchic
Hello

Im in the public service too. It seems to be a much maligned area to work in, and also the most inaccurately judged I think. I think there are variations to a massive degree in the public sector, both federal and state. I am in the federal sector. And believe it or not, I work friggin hard. We have VERY tight deadlines, very strict rules about our conduct and work and serious penalties if we breach them. In the area I work, we needed at least one degree to be able to work there, and a credit average at that. We have to keep on updating our knowledge and attend training sessions and we undergo performance reviews all the time.

Promotions are very hard to get, you have to work extremely hard, play the game, be in the right place at the right time and just be lucky sometimes to get ahead.

I work 10 hours a day which is not so bad I guess. But it is a non stop day. There may be people who work harder, I will agree. But I do work hard for my pay, I do not scam the Australian people who pay my wages and I certainly do not sit around doing nothing.

Before anyone decides to make negative random comments towards "public servants" just remember you are incuding people like teachers, police officers, nurses and doctors, social workers and government legal respresentatives as well as many many other different people. A lot of us work very hard for not a great deal of pay (compared to the private sector) and for less benefits too.

I enjoy my job, but its not that fantastic and one day I would like to change.

To the thread poster, that question is too broad mate, you need to narrow it down and think about what you want. Plenty of places to research government and non government jobs.

If you like being out and about, there should be plenty of good jobs around - there are jobs in the mines which are hard work but pay very well, there are jobs like being a police officer... the list is endless... just do some research!

Good luck!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
DTFRMONT

Have to agree with the last post. Most of the areas I have worked in are client service oriented positions where you're always flat out & your area is always short-staffed! You do have to jump through hoops to get a promotion, but higher duties positions are somewhat easier to come by. I enjoy my job though & we all try to have some fun during the day, makes the day go better!

Try enforcing the Code of Conduct in most private enterprise workplaces........ A few of my old bosses proably wouln't last an hour without someone laying an harrasment or bullying charge on them!

For the other public servants out there, the agency I work for is one of the larger ones, headed by a gent of Italian background
Old 12-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
headed by a gent of Italian background
That wouldnt be Mickey D, would it now? LOL.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I've been a public servant in WA since 1970.

The advantages include:

a) The ability to change jobs, Departments and careers without losing relatively good job security (I have worked in 8 different agencies and probably had 30 different jobs and a career that varied from finance/accounting, economics, welfare counselling, HR management, IT, and policy.
b) Good superannuation schemes;
c) The opportunity to, in some jobs, make a real positive difference to the world (very rewarding).
d) In some jobs the chance to help and serve those in need (also very rewarding).
e) A generally safe and fair work environment (the public services usually leads the way in HR practices and things like equal opportunity and occupational health and safety.

Some disadvantages:

a) at the moment lower pay rates for experienced graduates and professional (lawyers, accountants and the like will get much more money in private enterprise);
b) at the very senior levels it is more political and it can be little more about keeping the relevant Minister happy.
c) there often is very little individual recognition of any contribution you may make to bettering the world (this doesn't bother most public servants as its our job to do that but it upsets some);
d) you cannot always speak your mind and be totally frank with your customers and clients - some things are confidential;
e) you have a duty to promote the policies of the Government of the day in respect of the agency you work in regardless of your personal views (and some time you will wonder if the policy you are implementing is making the world worse rather than better).

I have found that smaller Departments and agencies generally offer more experience and interest than larger ones so they are the most fun to work in and the place to get a variety of experiences that will help you in your later career. In a very small agency you tend to me more involved in everything that is going on and things tend to happen more quickly while in some large agencies you can be a very small cog doing boring repetitive work in a large slow moving machine.

Having also worked in private enterprise, I can say that working for the public service isn't that different than working in a business (large businesses like global mining and oil companies in particular share many features of the public service environment). Anyway give it ago - it not a prison and if need be you can always 'escape' and pursue a career outside the public service.

....and it seems a lot of us drive Fords.
Old 13-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #22
DTFRMONT

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
That wouldnt be Mickey D, would it now? LOL.

I haven't heard him called that before, although we haven't been graced with his prescence yet!
Old 13-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #23
ONBA1L

WOW i never knew there were soo many areas one could work in. im more of a hands on person thats why i believe to choose a trade as it would be best suited for me.
DODDOAU i live in melb in victoria what do u mean by "local government owned electrical authority" are they the ones in charge of apprenticeships or something. first i have ever heard of it. ive done "cold calling" approached a few businesses but no luck. i just recently signed up with MEGT and awaiting what they have to say. how do i actually get in contact with the electrical authority is there a specific number i have to ring? thanx all.
Old 13-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The most important thing is that you get your foot in the door. Once you are in and permanent, then it's really upto you where you go. The best thing about the public service is you can get a few skills, and you go where you want. You can travel. Work in IT, get some skills, work your way up, then you can always have a few years off Leave With Out Pay, go contracting oversea's. Public Service pay might be less compared to private sector, but because the public service is so big, so many area's, the skills you can get are invaluable. You have the opportunities.

By the way, Commonwealth or State Public Service?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #25
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To elaborate on my earlier comments, people at the coalface do work very very hard but at the management/political level most areas of Australian public services have become dysfunctional over the last 20/30 years. And the taxpayers money is wasted at the management levels, not at the worker level. If you can get some nice quiet job out of the way of all this its fine. But in the private sector you have the opportunity to achieve some real objectives rather than being on the unproductive circuit of political ducking and weaving.
Old 13-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #26
sleepa
Ghia all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
But in the private sector you have the opportunity to achieve some real objectives rather than being on the unproductive circuit of political ducking and weaving.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Politicking is rife in any large organisation, public or private. I work for a large private company and have seen many eaxamples of good work (and good money) being scrapped when the political climate shifted.
sleepa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #27
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Shhhhhh.........some of us Public Servants are just settling in for our afternoon nap you know"

robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #28
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another public servant signing in here - it is what you make of it - lots of lazy people I will admit, but also lots of smart, hard workers. To me it is a very rewarding job, being able to make decisions every day that affect millions of the general population, thats what appeals to me. Though I don't really want to ever become a "lifer" which is the main drawback - very easy to just get "comfortable" and never move.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
Spotty

I spent approx 15 years in the public service. It was ok...made heaps of friends and who could forget friday morning tea at the pub. There are plenty of career opportunities for those who are ambitious and want to get ahead and those who just want to cruise ...i dont mean slack off but do whats expected of them and thats it the PS is ok to. I think the only negative is that once you've enjoyed the security of the PS for a while you become hesitant to leave.
Spotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post