Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Generic beer

Generic (no name or home-brand) beer, would you buy it?
Coles are going to have a second crack at bringing in a no-name beer. Coles and Woolworths own hundreds of pubs and bottle shops where they could try to sell the beer. But Coopers Brewers refused an approach some years ago to brew a generic beer. They said a cheap price means a cheap beer.
Anyone who rolled up at a BBQ with a no-name beer would be branded as tight. Aussies are brand loyal so there is probably little market for this beer.

R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

proberly not all the other beers have allready establised them self, the only way would be if it was dirty cheap so then ppl will try it

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose, as long as the alcohol content was the same, dirty cheap means you could consume more for less cost. Get drunk regardless of the taste.........that would appeal to some.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #4
Heffnic
this is true

drink it at home hide it in the fridge when the mates come round make sure vb or carlton draught are on display that will save alot of fights until u run out and everyone is too drunk to care what they are drinking.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #5
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
They said a cheap price means a cheap beer.
And cheap beer means cheap ingredients

Those who have dabbled in homebrew or try a lot of beers from all over the world will know that if it's made with half baked products the beer will be crap

Making homebrew will still be cheaper than the cheap beer anyway!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
XRated
Shoot.

I can only imagine the splitting headaches from a beer that's even cheaper than VB, Tasmanian etc.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I would rather drink goon than touch home-brand beer... actually no wait, I'm not really sure which of those two would be worse...

I doubt there is much point in introducing a home-brand beer - beer is already still fairly cheap, its the bloody excise which kills you at the checkout.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Get drunk regardless of the taste.........that would appeal to some.
Some = Toothless Port Adelaide Wharfies?

No name beer just wouldnt be right. I hate No-name ANYTHING that is sold at coles/woolies. And, If thats any sign of the kinda beer they'd be producing ... I'd rather no beer.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No-name beer. Just when I thought there is nothing worse than VB or Fosters.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
bf tubs

alcos and the homeless will rejoice at the news of this
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I'd try it. when I am out of Home Brew I buy whatever is cheap anyway.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually this is old hat in Europe where they can sell alcohol in supermarkets. But there they choose some very good drops (wine particularly) and put their own label on it (e.g. Sainsburys). People soon work out which ones are good quality. Much cheaper and system works well. I can't see Coles and Woolies here coming up with the same quality though, not that it would be much worse than most Australian beers.

And could anyone possibly make anything worse than US Budweiser?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I can only imagine the splitting headaches from a beer that's even cheaper than VB, Tasmanian etc.
Light beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
And could anyone possibly make anything worse than US Budweiser?
XXXX?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #14
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Brewed in China???
Old 11-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
I would rather drink goon than touch home-brand beer... actually no wait, I'm not really sure which of those two would be worse...

I doubt there is much point in introducing a home-brand beer - beer is already still fairly cheap, its the bloody excise which kills you at the checkout.
i drink goon out of preference. its not THAT bad.

VB is worse.

yes, i said it. VB sucks balls.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
I suppose, as long as the alcohol content was the same, dirty cheap means you could consume more for less cost. Get drunk regardless of the taste.........that would appeal to some.
That would apply to half of our customers, they walk in with $5 in change, dump it on the counter and say "how much can i get for this?"
or if they can afford a cask of fruity lexia, they try to get it on the cheap by just taking the bag, not the box. (one told me when he finishes the bag, he blows it up and sleeps on it)
random story: A guy came in with a bag of all silver coins, he smashed half a dozen parking meters to buy a flagon of vermouth, he was arrrested in the shop.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
That would apply to half of our customers, they walk in with $5 in change, dump it on the counter and say "how much can i get for this?"
or if they can afford a cask of fruity lexia, they try to get it on the cheap by just taking the bag, not the box. (one told me when he finishes the bag, he blows it up and sleeps on it)
random story: A guy came in with a bag of all silver coins, he smashed half a dozen parking meters to buy a flagon of vermouth, he was arrrested in the shop.
Sounds like you live in the Alice. I could fill these pages of stories of desperate drunks trying to get their next bottle of grog. And the bladders from wine casks were used out here as pillows for years until they banned wine casks. We used to joke that somewhere at the end of the Todd river there is a pile of wine cask bladders that can be seen from the moon...... :
Old 12-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We already have a cheap, crap generic beer. It's called Victoria Bitter. In fact, Carlton and United Breweries have a full range of beers fitting this category. And that my friend includes Crownies..."Australia's Finest." (my ****)

Grand Ridge Brewery FTW! Coopers is also great.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 AM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
We already have a cheap, crap generic beer. It's called Victoria Bitter. In fact, Carlton and United Breweries have a full range of beers fitting this category. And that my friend includes Crownies..."Australia's Finest." (my ****)

I would have to agree with you here, but each to their own I guess. You would be amazed how many VB tree seeds are left out in the desert out here. One sacred tree that just wont grow.

I would reccommend to any VB drinker to go and buy a crate of James Boags premium. You will never look back. Probably the best lager made in Australia.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #20
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The book "Beer" by Ben Canaider and Greg Duncan Powell is a good guide that puts Australian beer in perspective. Glad to see some people saying the truth that much Australian beer is absolutely lousy. Once you would have been shot for that!

I can't agree with the comment about Chinese beer. Tsingtao has always been an excellent drop.

The whole concept of generic brands has been bastardised here by Coles and Woolworths. When Franklins introduced No Frills it was like the UK/European approach (eg Aldi, Sainsburys) where it was good quality stuff from the good brand producers but hidden under a generic label. Franklins and Aldi still generally follow that line but Coles Woolworths and IGA market foul rubbish under their generic labels and give the whole thing a bad name.

Anyway because of our laws, liquor can't be sold in supermarkets here and bottle shops are unlikely to go into generics in a big way so i don't think it'll catch on for alcohol in Australia.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll try it, if I like it I'll buy it again if I dont I wont, either way it would have to be bad to be worse than Toohies new

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #22
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'd give it a go.

It couldn't be any worse than VB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #23
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kids these days drink goon or cheap bottles of wine, or things like passion pop regularly, so there's a chance they'll try a cheap beer.

I do dissagree on the generic brands though lately.. I've found the 'select' and 'you'll love' brands from safeway/coles to actually be pretty good at times.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #24
holmsy
Banned

simple fact it doesnt matter what brand it is. people will buy either what tastes good for a good price. or cheap crap to get ****ed.
if i went and got a slab of vb for $33 and my mate rocks up with a slab of homebrand brew he paid $20 for and it tastes just as good then i would be ****ed i didnt get the homebrand.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #25
oneredED
need more boost

If they were under 25 bucks a slab, then I'd probably have a crack and try to get used to them. Beer can become a very, very expensive habit if you don't have the space for a homebrew kit... Yesterday alone cost me $210 (St Kilda Festival, 6 bucks a VB tinnie, the bloody thieves!)
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I can't see Coles and Woolies here coming up with the same quality though.
But the certainly do have the money to come up with one though
Old 13-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #27
jaikai

Gotta agree with the poster who said Grand Ridge...up the road frommy place too. also the poster who mentioned James Boag...usually it`s too dear, other day it was same price as VB, so I bought 4 slabs :evil_laug

I can remember Franklins selling no frills beer years ago...was`nt that bad, even Tooheys Red tastes better than VB...just look like a git walking into mate`s sheds with it...

JAIKAI
Old 13-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #28
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikai
Gotta agree with the poster who said Grand Ridge...up the road frommy place too. also the poster who mentioned James Boag...usually it`s too dear, other day it was same price as VB, so I bought 4 slabs :evil_laug

I can remember Franklins selling no frills beer years ago...was`nt that bad, even Tooheys Red tastes better than VB...just look like a git walking into mate`s sheds with it...

JAIKAI
I mentioned Grand Ridge. They make good stuff all round.

Also, James Boags premium is good stuff. I must agree there too.

I find the No Frills brand interesting. Sad how as soon as the big guns enter the market, they screw it up.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #29
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

Couldn't agree with you more, each CUB beer is a horrible cesspool of chemicals, which I will only drink at weddings and 21st birthday party's. Grand Ridge, Mountain Goat, Holgate and Little Creatures are a but a few of the excellent boutique breweries we have in Australia.

Aldi already have a generic beer brand, I tried their Shipstone Amber Ale, which tries to imitate the James Squire Amber Ale and fails badly IMO. Working in a bottle shop part time for the best part of 7 years I have seen that some people are driven on price, and price alone, and will always buy the cheapest slab available (eg Tooheys Red, Hahn Ice etc..). However there are far more customers who will have a brand preference and only drink the one type of beer (Carlton Draught, VB usually). For the chains to defeat this attitude with a generic beer I believe they face an uphill battle - one that they would eventually fail in.
Old 13-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

It cant taste any worse than Toohey's New or Fosters so why not!!!
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post