Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No terrorists in Australia, says Habib

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...4-1702,00.html

I wonder why he wants to ged rid of terror laws and whether or not anyone would vote for him?

GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Isnt it kind of like saying "im not sick, so i dont need a hospital"??

Some of the intended results of recent anti terrorism laws can be questioned... and should be. But to abolish anti terrorism measures is lunacy... they are there to PREVENT it from happening in the first place.

Or should we wait for a few hundred australians to be killed before acknowledging terrorists are here?? For my money, that's the only way to provide "conclusive evidence"... and frankly i'd prefer it never came to that.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had it explained to my by a young muslim guy who knows a couple of people from his Mosque that were arrested.
1. The guy they caught with wires and electronics components was an auto electrican
2. The guy caught with drums of chemicals was a painter.

And then he tells me that the terrorists are not really terrorists its just the way the media portrays them. Everything they do (eg: suicide bombing) is to get payments for their families because they are destitute, as though they have no other choice. I stopped listening after the statement "and that's why I don't like democracy"

It really concerns me that they let this guy work for a major city newspaper. He has a degree in communications engineering, I wonder why he can't get a job doing that?

Last edited by GXL078; 02-02-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the way the media hype up stories. A few years ago there was a local story of a drug raid where no drugs were found but a "high powered rifle and 5,000 rounds of ammo" were seized.
Actually a rusty old slug gun and an old box of slugs was found in a box in a shed. The rifle did not work and had been there for years (before registration) and had belonged to a deceased family member.
The raid was based on information received that turned out to be vexatious.

But you know DRUGS and GUNS sell newspapers.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
BlackLS

And here I was with an image of Habib from Fat Pizza in a yellow Kappa tracksuit saying "I swardaGod theres no terrorists in Australia.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
And here I was with an image of Habib from Fat Pizza in a yellow Kappa tracksuit saying "I swardaGod theres no terrorists in Australia.
same, but mine went along the lines of ''omigod uleh, i cannot believe there are terrorists here, it ish jus like crazy uno?''

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I wonder why he wants to ged rid of terror laws and whether or not anyone would vote for him?
Maybe he wants to restore civil liberties and repeal the laws under which he was arrested and held without charge for 3 years. Did you know that holding someone without charge is classified as 'torture' by the UN?

As for the second part of your question, he seems like an intelligent man. I'd vote for him. And no, I'm not a muslim. I was born here and my parents are both of Western European extraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Isnt it kind of like saying "im not sick, so i dont need a hospital"??
No.

A wise man once said, "He who would trade his liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security." Another one said, "Give me liberty or give me death." We live in a society where every move we make is seen and documented. Isn't that enough? What's next?

These laws will do nothing to prevent terrorism anyway. Terrorists consider themselves to be above the law. Words on paper won't stop them. Meanwhile the innocent are punished and tortured for no reason other than to make the rest of the nation feel safe.

Last edited by robs_ls1; 02-02-2007 at 04:38 PM.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^
I think you meant to post to http://forums.muslimvillage.net/. That's OK we're not biased here.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sorry but the guy is a fool,

I watched him on camera, he was smoking, threw the butt on the foot path and dragged it with his shoe to put it out...

All while surrounded by cameras whatching his every move...

Dopy as can be...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a lovely bloke..... Even before 9/11 and all the new terrorist laws he was under surveilence....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamdouh_Habib
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #11
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Wow, another voice for the minority.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #12
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
^^
I think you meant to post to http://forums.muslimvillage.net/. That's OK we're not biased here.
There appears to be a lot of smart people there...but some scary s#it too..
Old 03-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

He's a drop kick IMO, very "classy" way to put it but wasting any more time or breath on him is not how I spend my days. He gets enough coverage and hype from TV and forums, like this thread......if he was in Kiwi land I'd want him out ASAP.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
SirJuggsalot

lol my partner works with his brothers wife.
SirJuggsalot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To say there are no terrorists in Australia is ridiculous. They are wherever infidels are!

We are free to take or leave him. I am in the "leave" group! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #16
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I am a little surprised how slow this thread is. I wonder if this is apathy towards the threat of a terrorist attack ever happening in Australia, or is this little ****ant touching a nerve within Australia.

Check out the results of this poll.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...007132,00.html

There is only one reason this "person" could have been in Afganistan. And is wasn't to hand out lollies to the children.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #17
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
There is only one reason this "person" could have been in Afganistan.
And what would that reason be?

If you want to know who the real terrorists are, you should watch the Loose Change documentary (Google it, it is a free download).
Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
-- Thomas Jefferson

need I quote any further?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1

If you want to know who the real terrorists are, you should watch the Loose Change documentary (Google it, it is a free download).
Yeah I've seen it. It has been discredited many times by other sources. To imply that people in the US (ie the Government) hit the WTC and pentagon on purpose is truly impossible to believe. But there many conspiracy theorists that will believe anything. Not having a go at you. The doco is very convincing, just hard to believe and short on facts.

Why else would a muslin go to Afganistan during, what amounts to, an invasion by western forces?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #20
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did you know that holding someone without charge is classified as 'torture' by the UN?

Did you know that making someone drive an LS1 is also considered torture by the UN???

lol...

Seriously tho, I wanna know if he wasn't a terrorist, then how can he catergorically say that there are no terrorists here? Either he is one, and he knows cos he's in the cell and trying to throw the scent off, or he was one in the 1st place, and he's telling the truth now. I say lock the bastard up again, see who's running for parliament then! :P

The ironic thing about terrorism is that even christian people have done it, anyone ever here about a little thing called the crusades? Europeans would go to Jerusalem, or egypt, or another "holy" place and attempt to rid them of "infidels" (which is what the Roman Catholic church called Muslims at the time) basically these guys would go into another country, rape, pillage, murder, all in the name of religion...

I say that religion is to blame for terrorism, when you find that someone will be fanatical about, and believe in wholeheartedly, you can manipulate them to do whatever you want.

Bottom line, is that our govt's need to be in a position to prevent attacks that we have seen hit our people already. That means protecting Muslims who do the right thing, I say that these guys who are arrested in Middle eastern countries with pictures of them with Al Qaida weapons (David Hicks for example) deserve to be tortured just for the sheer stupidity of what they've done. It obvious that at the very least, he has connections with someone that can get their hands on AK's and RPG's, I say better to be safe than sorry!
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you want to appear intelligent, quoting drivel such as Loose Change as a factual source is not the right way to go about it.

Read here.
http://internetdetectives.biz/case/loose-change
http://screwloosechange.blogspot.com/

The producers of the video are also getting sued for copywrite infringement.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #22
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Sorry but the guy is a fool,

I watched him on camera, he was smoking, threw the butt on the foot path and dragged it with his shoe to put it out...

All while surrounded by cameras whatching his every move...

Dopy as can be...
This is quite normal behaviour for a lot of people. My Blacktown neighbours ALL do it. "Its none of my business" what they do even though we share a common driveway.

What's loose change? Is it similar to loose screw?
Old 03-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #23
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
If by "real" terrorists you mean the US and allies, and not people who routinely plan to kill non combatants in schools, buses, trains, planes and such, you need your head read!

I don't agree with everything done by the US, but if you're honestly trying to justify, defend, protect and pardon extremists and suicide bombers by waving a finger at the US, then gee buddy you've got serious denial issues! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #24
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
Did you know that making someone drive an LS1 is also considered torture by the UN???
Well then I must be a masochist, because I enjoy it. : ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
The ironic thing about terrorism is that even christian people have done it, anyone ever here about a little thing called the crusades?
What about the Spanish inquisition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
To imply that people in the US (ie the Government) hit the WTC and pentagon on purpose is truly impossible to believe.
And that's what makes it all so interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
If you want to appear intelligent, quoting drivel such as Loose Change as a factual source is not the right way to go about it.
Nobody is saying that it is 100% fact. However, it does raise at least some questions for which there are no answers. Just like Fahrenheit 9/11. Most of it can be taken with a grain of salt, but there is some truth behind the embellishments.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #25
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Religion aside, the main crux here is terrorism and the terrorists model of operation.

Terrorism can be seperated in three. The application of violence to achieve power(A military arm), the application of propoganda to fuel the violence(A political arm). The obtaining of funds to run the cells(A Financial Arm). Its circular. When you meet terrorism with violence, it simply fuels the propoganda which enables more fundraising, which in turn brings more support to perform more violence. It also brings you more support from the populace.

Now the propoganda is driven by your cause, whatever that may be, in most cases its irrelevant(Power is the true objective here). Religion, Freedom, Justice, Money, all they do is allow you to polarize your supporters, which strengthens your propoganda machine. Even the American revolution was instigated by singular and in some cases organized group acts of terrorism by Americans on English targets These acts continued in the Carolinas even during the war. Because they won of course, they are patriots, and not terrorists. Important to remember that one.

There are very few terrorist groups that have EVER been brought to heel through violence(I can only think of the Malayan conflict). Mostly they have been beaten by political type actions against the propoganda wings and financial efforts which in turn dimished their support/resources. Propoganda thrives on the media, and the media cant keep their mouths shut and are mostly ignorant of everything they report.

It feels good to say "Lets go and kick some a ss, but it rarely yields results. The solution to these problems remains Political/Financial, not military. Now for those who will say you cant reason with fundamentalists, this is always thought the case, but rarely turns out to be true. Even the most extremist groups once losing the political war, once the "righteous cause" for violence is lost, will come to the table to get whatevers left. No support = no money = no terrorism = compromise.

Also remember, extremist muslim terrorist cells dont get their money from playing the pokies or from asking allah for a loan. They get it from rich supporters in the middle east, many of them earning money through selling the west oil, so we fund attacks on ourselves. Ironic no?

You could end terrorism today by freezing accounts in europe and the US owned by Midle Eastern individuals and companys. Of course the oil would stop flowing the day after that, and we would be in general war quickly after that.

So in looking back, what have we achieved in Iraq? Nothing. What have we achieved in Afghanistan? Temporary peace at best. Where are we headed? More Texan style rodeo combat action. Little Johnny, go get yer guns!

Now whats this got to do with Mr Habib and his forty thousand camel cigarettes? Hmmm. Smells like Propoganda. Tastes like Propoganda. By joves I think it is Propoganda! And what goes well with propoganda? A Kebab of course.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #26
Schlimmeh
BF XR8 Ute = Bluesmobile

Only little babies ha'bib's
Schlimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlimmeh
Only little babies ha'bib's

HAHA! I was waiting for someone to say something incredibly funny, or intelligent.

... still waiting.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

"two terrorists walk into a bar.... boom boom"...

........forget it.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
Schlimmeh
BF XR8 Ute = Bluesmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrackers
"two terrorists walk into a bar.... boom boom"...

........forget it.
Nice one - I love it!!!
Schlimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #30
1600GT

IMHO... the terrorism related laws dont effect 99.9% of us, simply because that 99.9% of us aren't involved in terrorist activity.
history shows that people only want change when something directly effects them, and this is why the other 0.1% of the community would want those laws changed... because it does, or will, effect them and 'their' terriost acts...

honestly, i just dont understand the p1ss1ng and moaning about what how this is or that is against what even the civil liberterians (sp??) think.
basicly, people only try to hide something when they know their in the ****, so if u've got nothing to hide, where's the problem...??? :
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post