Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default got a quote for cam

hi guys, i got quoted $360 to install a cam into my el. that includes new lifters and shims. but the guy said its about another $300 for a reground wade cam. just wondering if thats about the right price for everything?

also, if there is anyone that you guys recomend around the altona/sunshine area and know what they charge, please let me know.

thanks

castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a regrind cam from wade is about $122 dollars exchange,,buy an old cam off a wrecke and send it to wade,,they'll send you a regrind..easy
Old 31-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
MADED-6
MADED.6

then fit it urself easy as man or give me $60 if ur in vic and ill gladly do it.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

definately go the regrind mate! it saves you heaps $$$

i got a wreckers cam for $40 and had it reground through wade (so i could keep driving until i did the swap). Got some shims for the extra lift and done!
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Why do you need no lifters ?
if they are ticking then just get a set from the wreckers that don't tick .. they might cost you about 30bux
OR you can buy new lifters at just under $25 each X 12
as for the price of the cam .. Well wade is a regrind so yes you will have to shim your lifters.
You MIGHT even find that if your Lifters are Ticking and you re-shim them to suit the wade cam that you will shim them up and the Ticking will go away
Old 31-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
crannersEL
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
You MIGHT even find that if your Lifters are Ticking and you re-shim them to suit the wade cam that you will shim them up and the Ticking will go away
When i first got mine installed, there was a very loud ticking noise from the enigne but soon stopped after the cam wore in (4-5 days)

I paid $120ish for my re grind because i was a fordmods member.....
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought while everything is being done i might as well do the lifters. i'm registered on fordmods, so does that mean i get the discount as well?
Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Yes, just mention it to them when you order the camshaft.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Pay me $600 and i'll install a wade regrind with new lifters for ya!

Any grind you want!!

I'll even fly anywhere in Australia to do it!
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #10
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Why do you need no lifters ?
if they are ticking then just get a set from the wreckers that don't tick .. they might cost you about 30bux
OR you can buy new lifters at just under $25 each X 12

how do you know the wreckers lifters will be any good? its a pretty common problem with these cars so chances are they will be screwed also.

my new lifters cost me $10 each plus gst.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, i got a cam from my mates wrecking yard, $30, out of a 140k car. pick it up on saturday. i'm gonna send it to wade on monday, they have a 3 day wait at the moment with all the work they have. then once i get it back it'll be booked in to get all the work done. i'd rather pay this guy to do it because all the work is covered, and i know its true that he repairs any stuff ups.

oh btw, what grind should i get? i really want the beefiest cam i can get running standard ecu, 4 speed auto. at the moment i got pacemaker comps, pod in box and xr6 snorkel.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

yeah its pretty full on there at the moment id say just get the 1636 profile, being auto, u dont want something too radical. its a sweet grind for these models

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
hi guys, i got quoted $360 to install a cam into my el. that includes new lifters and shims. but the guy said its about another $300 for a reground wade cam. just wondering if thats about the right price for everything?

also, if there is anyone that you guys recomend around the altona/sunshine area and know what they charge, please let me know.

thanks
Give me the phone number for this place, I wanna ring this guy up and tell him he's a f.ucking c.ock sucker
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

If you do that, you'll be my hero!

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

you have to consider the freight charges to get the cam to us and back to the customer would have to be included in that quoted price by the mechanic

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

thanks
Plenty of places do regrinds and do them well , I use camshaft engineering in coopooroo in brisbane , normally about #120.00 for a grind and change over is about 45 minutes so do that your self , ask if you want to know how.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 AM   #17
Christiaan

Quote:
well, i got a cam from my mates wrecking yard, $30, out of a 140k car. pick it up on saturday. i'm gonna send it to wade on monday, they have a 3 day wait at the moment with all the work they have. then once i get it back it'll be booked in to get all the work done. i'd rather pay this guy to do it because all the work is covered, and i know its true that he repairs any stuff ups.

oh btw, what grind should i get? i really want the beefiest cam i can get running standard ecu, 4 speed auto. at the moment i got pacemaker comps, pod in box and xr6 snorkel.
Mate, I'm serious, I'll take half of what you pay him. My dad's a mechanic and I've been around working on cars all my life. Don't pay this ****** $360 to install a cam that takes 2 hours MAX.

Where abouts do ya live? It's probably the easiest mod to do to an e-series engine!
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #18
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, i am more than happy to do it myself. i've seen the tutorial on fordmods, and i've got a bit of experience pullin a motor apart, its just that my old man wont let me, doesnt trust me. so i might make him pay the $360 lol. i doubt freight would make up that much of a difference. but i'll definately be getting the cam myself.

i ****ed myself when i asked jim mock, he quoted $1450 for a cam installed lol.

oh and i'm in the western suburbs
Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
doofdoof23

dude ring ford for a set of shims..... you will see how full of crap this mechanic is
doofdoof23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #20
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
you have to consider the freight charges to get the cam to us and back to the customer would have to be included in that quoted price by the mechanic
yes..... I suppose the $30 freight fee would have been included in the $650
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #21
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how much are the shims usually? coz on the wade site, they are like $140 or something. and i think thats incl. in his price. i'm not really a fan of doing all the work myself on a daily, as i need it on the road at all times. i would love to do it myself, but dad has convinced me to get it done.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #22
Christiaan

Quote:
how much are the shims usually? coz on the wade site, they are like $140 or something. and i think thats incl. in his price. i'm not really a fan of doing all the work myself on a daily, as i need it on the road at all times. i would love to do it myself, but dad has convinced me to get it done.
lol. That's ok. Just imagine all the fuel money you could save by giving me a slab of corona to fit it for ya...... 3 Cheers for over-protective fathers! Hip hip, hooray!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #23
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, well it might not be getting done. making a new thread now
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #24
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

does anyone have the name and phone number for a mechanic that will install for a reasonable price?
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #25
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

its not hard, takes me 45mins and for that money get a crow cam and its so easy its only 24bolts + 4 for the rocker cover and 1 for the timing chain. not hard at all and u can do it in the time your old man goes shopping
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #26
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

just spoke to blue oval garage and they were telling me that I definately need valve springs and that the install, including changing valve springs and putting in shims was going to take 4 or 5 hours and going to cost me 600 bucks! Is this right??

These guys and herrod also reckon i'll need a custom box and tune to get it running right???
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #27
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

What Sort of Crow Cam ?? 2222549 ??
Where abouts are you ?
500 should pull it up supply and fit crow cam and springs
Old 14-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, just thought i'd put up a bit of an update. the car is booked in for the 12th of march, at S&S racing in sunshine. he's well known by the ls1 brigade, but he does a lot of good work on any car. i am paying $900 for a brand new billet crow cam, new springs and lifters, all fitted and a before and after dyno run. thats with all new oil and stuff, so i rekon its not a bad price. the pain is the wait
Old 14-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #29
doofdoof23

Quote:
well, just thought i'd put up a bit of an update. the car is booked in for the 12th of march, at S&S racing in sunshine. he's well known by the ls1 brigade, but he does a lot of good work on any car. i am paying $900 for a brand new billet crow cam, new springs and lifters, all fitted and a before and after dyno run. thats with all new oil and stuff, so i rekon its not a bad price. the pain is the wait
what!! dude there are some good tech pages floating around about installing a cam and fitting shims if need be.

A regrind cam from Wade will set you back $120 plus shims from Ford are around $60 (cheaper from the wreckers) and i believe most wade cams dont require new springs or lifters and run fine on the standard ecu.

So lets see.... $180 for a self installed Wade cam or $900 to make a mechanic more richer..... i know which one i'd be choosing. just have a go mate, research it and do it, you'll be glad you did when you see how easy it is
doofdoof23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #30
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but with a wade cam, its a regrind. this is a brand new, solid billet cam. once you look at it, for lifters, springs, installation and dyno runs he is only chargin me $400 thats also incl. a service for the car. $500 is for the cam alone. i'd rather go a new cam rather than regrind