Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
xtreem2001

Default Help with mods to an AU ute

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a 2001 AU ute complete with tray. First job was to buy a tub (off Ebay) and have it shipped from Melbourne to Adelaide. I am totally confused as to what will fit in the way of front bars / body kits etc. I was told this is an AU 11 but is there someway of confirming this. I am planning on doing a total rebuild on the ute as I already own a BF Tornado and wanted something to play with. The AU is a V8 but with standard grey trim. Any help in possible mods would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Greg.

xtreem2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

AUI centre console is different from the AUII. AUII has the centre section cut out in a large square with different HVAC controls. AUI had a smoother look ... and had FALCON written at the top of it (just like the rear badge).

AUII has a clock at the top of the centre console as well.

I am not sure on the date change ... but my AUII is a 10/2001 build vehicle (I think this is near the end of Series II as well).

There are several kits for the AU utes .. depends how deep you want the front bar to be I guess. There are several designs around. The Pursuit side skirts and rear bar do look the best though ... TS50 front end is getting more and more common as well (but does look awesome.

I am running the XR skirt kit from SeriesII and Series II Fairmont front lip as well on my ute (bloody loading dock driveways can be hell at times).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Mark One
A humorous statement

Any AU front bar will fit basically. TS50 or XR50 body kit. lowering. carbon fiber bonnet, low series bonnet bulge. hard cover.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Mark One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Im pretty sure my AUII is 11/2000 build date.

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Chasing a carbon fibre bonnet though is going to be difficult as the supply of carbon fibre material has depleted and Airbus took the majority of the stock ... small parts you might be able to get ... but bonnets might be a tad hard to come by now.
Old 29-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
crusher
Dirty ute club member

MY au2 is oct 2000 so theres another date for ya.

Hooray for the AU ute club!.

And a Tornado? You lucky bugger!
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
MY au2 is oct 2000 so theres another date for ya.

Hooray for the AU ute club!.

And a Tornado? You lucky bugger!
Buy his tray dude :hihi:

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 29-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Haha jeez your quick. You should be doing more drinking less intrawebs like me. Hang on that doesnt work im still on here.

So theres a question for ya xtreem2001: How much would you want for the tray? can pm for a chat about it if you like.

Edit: Your a bad man luke. Gonna have me spending money I dont have lol
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
Haha jeez your quick. You should be doing more drinking less intrawebs like me. Hang on that doesnt work im still on here.

Edit: Your a bad man luke. Gonna have me spending money I dont have lol
haha yeah I know I should be owell : But you know you want a tray :P

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 29-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
xtreem2001

Thanx Guys,

The build date on the AU is June 01. It also says AU11 ute on the plate so I guess I should have looked there first. Any ideas on where to start looking for a carbon fibre bonnet??

The tray is nearly brand new and complete with sides and front and rear ladder racks. The rear rack is removable and slides into 2 reccessed tubes. If you are interested Crusher send me a PM and we will work something out. I am in Sth Aust but can arrange freight at a good rate. The missus works for a company that uses several freight companies and they bought the tub over from Vic for not much.
Old 30-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem2001
Thanx Guys,

The build date on the AU is June 01. It also says AU11 ute on the plate so I guess I should have looked there first. Any ideas on where to start looking for a carbon fibre bonnet??

The tray is nearly brand new and complete with sides and front and rear ladder racks. The rear rack is removable and slides into 2 reccessed tubes. If you are interested Crusher send me a PM and we will work something out. I am in Sth Aust but can arrange freight at a good rate. The missus works for a company that uses several freight companies and they bought the tub over from Vic for not much.
Do you have pics of the racks? Id only be interested in the rear one though if you wanted to sell and if its similar to my front one

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 30-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
xtreem2001

Unfortunately I dont have the rear rack on the tray at the moment as I picked the tub up from the transport company on the weekend and so far haven't been able to arrange enough hands to get the thing off.

The tray is a Gitsham and the rear rack is alloy. Not sure of thickness. The other option would be to send me pics of what you have and what you need as I can get these racks bent up using stainless steel tube through my contacts here. Let me know if that is an option. I had a rear bar made up for the BF as it has a removable hard lid with the front bar fixed (Ford option) and it looks great in polished stainless.
Old 30-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Unfortunately I dont have the rear rack on the tray at the moment as I picked the tub up from the transport company on the weekend and so far haven't been able to arrange enough hands to get the thing off.

The tray is a Gitsham and the rear rack is alloy. Not sure of thickness. The other option would be to send me pics of what you have and what you need as I can get these racks bent up using stainless steel tube through my contacts here. Let me know if that is an option. I had a rear bar made up for the BF as it has a removable hard lid with the front bar fixed (Ford option) and it looks great in polished stainless.
This is what I have on the front. Its 3inch.

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 30-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #14
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I am running the XR skirt kit from SeriesII .
Ummm, from a series 3 Simon not 2. :

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #15
xtreem2001

The bar on the tray fits inside the actually tray. There are 2 sockets (similar to the ones on your front bar) that are drilled through the tray and bolt on top. This is so that the bar can be removed quickly. If you work out how you want to fix the rear bar and give me some measurements ( height and width) I will check and see if the boyz can bend up one in 3 inch stainless for you.

The stainless is not polished but with some elbow grease it comes up great. Alternatively most stainless manufacturers will polish it for a small fee.
Old 30-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
Ummm, from a series 3 Simon not 2. :

Mick
Oooops ... sorry Mick. :
I think it was an option for Series II though (that's what I was getting at).
Must admit though your factory kit looks good still on my ute
It went to a good home matey :hihi:
Old 30-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #17
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
The bar on the tray fits inside the actually tray. There are 2 sockets (similar to the ones on your front bar) that are drilled through the tray and bolt on top. This is so that the bar can be removed quickly. If you work out how you want to fix the rear bar and give me some measurements ( height and width) I will check and see if the boyz can bend up one in 3 inch stainless for you.

The stainless is not polished but with some elbow grease it comes up great. Alternatively most stainless manufacturers will polish it for a small fee.
Yeah I realise it will sit inside the tray otherwise where are my dropsides going to go when I have them on. I havent priced any up my way yet im in QLD just thought if I could get a 2nd hand one for cheaper it would be better as I dont really have to have a new one but I havent found any second hand ones around that are the same style

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote: