Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-01-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Default knocking from front right?

for a few days now i have heard a constant knocking coming from my right hand front wheel area. i think its shocky rubbers failing or something similar. i know its not bearings as i have recently replaced left side bearings and checked the right to be sure they were ok. it only happens along bumps in the road, but its not loud, more of a tapping i guess. similar sound to a stone wedgrd into the tyre but not as constant. am i right? has anyone else had a similar prob and point me in the right direction? any help is greatly appreciated.
col

au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
peterban
AULTD

Could be ball joints as they become dry and start to knock.
I did see a post regarding injecting grease into them with a syringe to stop the noise
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
4dlvr
4dlvr

i have the same problem but its cumming from the left, r u sure it not the bearings???
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sway bar rubbers.
When were they replaced??
I did mine recently & it made a huge difference. _2:
Old 27-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Could be ball joints as they become dry and start to knock.
I did see a post regarding injecting grease into them with a syringe to stop the noise
I tried that, more to lube the joint rather than getting rid of any noise. Not sure how effective it was.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
i have the same problem but its cumming from the left, r u sure it not the bearings???
yes i am sure its not the bearings, as i said before, i have just replaced the left side hub and bearings due to noise, but i also checked the right side to make sure they didnt need replacing also and they were fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Sway bar rubbers.
When were they replaced??
I did mine recently & it made a huge difference.
not sure when or if they have been replaced, car had only done 85,000ks when i bought it, now up to 97,000. i will be taking it to work on monday to give it a good going over (its my wifes daily driver) as my wife tells me there are a couple of other things that concern her. so, armed with what info i recieve here is what i will concentrate on. has anyone had any probs with the water tray under the aircon getting a blocked outlet pipe so when they go around a corner they end up with cold water over their feet? just wondering how common it is as my last au (s1 sedan) had the same prob.

thanx guys, this forum is such a great help with niggly little probs that dont want to go away in a hurry. since ive been on here i've had heaps of great advice.
col
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had the same sort of noise coming from the same spot and its been getting progressively worse so I had a look. A bolt that holds the sway bar retaining clamp has sheared and the sway bar is moving around. It looks to have done some damage to the steering rack boot as well. I wonder if this will be covered by an extended warranty?
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post