Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Mens Tie preferences??

Hey all,

Im looking into starting a new business next yr importing Mens Ties (both silk and Poly) as well as Bow ties. (and selling online on a stand alone web site)

As well as having "straight" ties ill also have pre-tied ones as well as Bow Ties.

So my question is what sort of ties have people been looking for and have been hard to find? perhaps a certain colour or pattern?? or perhaps a printed tie with a specific picture??

Ill be seeing my supplier soon and a more informed idea of what people want would be greatly appreciated

Jason

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bugger this was meant to be a Poll and it didnt work, well doesnt matter just pop the info in as replies

Thanx in advance!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Make sure you bring in plain white and black ties.

A while back, I tried to find a black tie for a work xmas party...couldn't find one anywhere.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ They stock one at yd. As EL_661 said, it was pretty hard to find a plain black tie or something with a white/black combination. There's so much colours around now that it's hard to find simple coloured ones.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Wrists to bedhead, ankles to foot end of bed (or for variation, ankles to wrists).

Oh, I see, you mean neck-ties! Oops.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
andrewts
White Car Driver

I believe that there is a market (mainly older people) that would be attracted to horrifically bad looking brown ties.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Striped ties (diagonal) with varied colour schemes appeal to me. I also like those that have a bit of a metallic look to them.

I love the colour orange, but cannot find a cheap orange tie anywhere!

As for material, it doesn't bother me - but I can't afford expensive ties so the most I would pay at this stage is $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
I believe that there is a market (mainly older people) that would be attracted to horrifically bad looking brown ties.
I believe my Dad falls into that category!

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I have a plain dark blue tie,it has a small Wombat on it with the initials ERL underneath.People cant help asking what ERL means,depending on who is asking I reply,Earlwood Rugby league,or Eats, Roots,(and) Leaves..Perhaps novelty ties would be popular?.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
XRchic
Hello

Would be good to see kids ties. I have always had trouble finding ties for my son.

Oh, and I would love to see FPV/FPR or Ford ties. Probably not able to be done from your end but I would love it if Ford did one...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yikes....

Looks like ill be making heaps of people happy!!!

I got all those and more!

hmmm thats for the feedback thus far!

JC i just got a flashback from a scene in wedding crashers lol.........
Old 03-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Since I moved from religious dog collars (priest wear) I wear bright colourful ties, that are wide and of a good length. When I say wide I don’t mean 70's wide, but about 4 or 5 inches at their widest bit.

Novelty ties make me feel sick, and I used to work with lawyers who always wear then and I was always waiting for a judge or magistrate to throw them out for bad dressing.

Last time I looked there were mostly ties with pink in them, and they look horrid. So bright colours, in patterns are my pick.

Make sure you let us know your website URL when it’s up and running.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As anyone of any decent height knows, most ties are too short to wear properly. In the USA you can get ones extra long, so when you tie a double windsor, the tip rest on your bely buckle as it should. I am 6'6" and normal ties jst dont work for me!!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever will go with my fluoro shirts.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #14
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally i like conservative coloured ties that are still somewhat different. I bought an Italian silk tie a few weeks ago that i fell in love with and purchased without even looking at the price. Its has an intermeshed design that looks like a chain..

So to answer your question i have trouble finding something thats different but also looks good. All these fluro pink/yellow/orange ties are a case in point..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

A nice plain dark green PRE tied one. It was small and perfect, as I am a musician, and we used to dress up in suits and ties and play heavy metal, and the long ones used to get in the way and hit the strings. The small one didnt. Then it broke, and we gave up the suits.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

People still wear those things? The last tie I owned, a very long time ago, was a dark colour with little pigs on it. The initials MCP was on each pig
Old 03-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Ties are for girls. Luckily where I work ties and suits are banned. Its casual dress only, or stay home. Works well, keeps ego's at bay.......

Cheers all. :voldar02:
Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #18
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Ties don't perform any function! They are just a piece of rag tied around your neck.
Never wear them, never will wear them.
But many people do. Why?
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
Ties don't perform any function! They are just a piece of rag tied around your neck.
Never wear them, never will wear them.
But many people do. Why?
Very good question. I have no idea why ties are worn. Maybe some kind of symbolism or status symbol. Perhaps there are some historic reasons. I live in the Alice. It was just over 42 degrees the other day. Yet I still saw twits walking around town in ties....... Screws loose me thinks. :
Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ppl wear ties...my god have'nt worn one since I left the ADF..and that was in the very early 70's.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #21
vectra-racer
pom racer

some people like to be smart, and if you have to be in an environment where people wear suits then the only differentiator would be a tie [cufflinks and stuff too but mostly the tie]

i personally have 57 ties, but i could never find an aqua marine coloured one to go with a shirt i have, i've looked for years, best i could find is a blue one with some a/m squares on it.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #22
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra-racer
some people like to be smart, and if you have to be in an environment where people wear suits then the only differentiator would be a tie [cufflinks and stuff too but mostly the tie]

i personally have 57 ties, but i could never find an aqua marine coloured one to go with a shirt i have, i've looked for years, best i could find is a blue one with some a/m squares on it.
You poor thing.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:01 PM   #23
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Ties = help men with no necks and rugby players, separate their heads from their torsoes.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #24
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

It would also be good to bring in a "Ford" tie.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectra-racer
i personally have 57 ties,
And I bet all the books on your bookcase are in alphabetical order as well!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:16 AM   #26
XRchic
Hello

Well well... tie wearers v non tie wearers...

Is the implication that tie wearers have bookcases (and therefore books) and that non tie wearers dont??? Hahaha.

And I think vectra-racer was answering the question raised in the first post of this thread about what sort of things people are looking for - he said he is looking for a particular kind of aquamarine coloured tie... but Im sure he appreciates the sympathy...

:P

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #27
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Well well... tie wearers v non tie wearers...

Is the implication that tie wearers have bookcases (and therefore books) and that non tie wearers dont??? Hahaha.

And I think vectra-racer was answering the question raised in the first post of this thread about what sort of things people are looking for - he said he is looking for a particular kind of aquamarine coloured tie... but Im sure he appreciates the sympathy...

:P
Actually I have been a teacher for 14 years and have read lots of books. I wouldn't have a clue how to even tie a tie. I used to wear one when I was in the Air Force Cadets but my mum used to tie it for me, ditto for my graduation, lol.
A tie has to be the most useless accessory ever invented.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #28
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Very good question. I have no idea why ties are worn. Maybe some kind of symbolism or status symbol. Perhaps there are some historic reasons. I live in the Alice. It was just over 42 degrees the other day. Yet I still saw twits walking around town in ties....... Screws loose me thinks. :
Lol, i never understood the big fuss about someone wearing a tie??? It's really no big deal. Takes 5 minutes to put on, if you wear one everyday - you dont notice the things.

I think you're on to something with the historical reasons??? Not sure - all i know is that im expected to wear a tie and a jacket to work. Sucks in 42 degree Adelaide weather... but if you ever do happen to see me around on a 42 degree day wearing my tie... please dont jump straight to the "twit" conclusion.... i dont dress like this by choice and im not going to walk away from a great job over clothing....

To the thread starter, i dont have any unusual tie requests... usually wear a white shirt and there's not too many ties that dont go with white. Will be interested to see what you get in tho.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #29
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
As anyone of any decent height knows, most ties are too short to wear properly. In the USA you can get ones extra long, so when you tie a double windsor, the tip rest on your bely buckle as it should. I am 6'6" and normal ties jst dont work for me!!!
My Dad used to buy 2 ties then cut them stitch them together and make 1 longer tie for the same reasons, the ties these days are short when tied properly.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hey what you guys have said has been great thus far

Below is a pic of some of the samples i have. Left to right: Fluro green and not pre tied, probably a dozen colours if not more of these bright/pastel colours.

second is a pre tied one, it has a zip in it, so you just hold the know and pull up or down. Has a pearl finish that almost looks like fush scales or a pearl paint job. again available in tons of colours.

Black and white stripes pre tied with the zip adjustor, self explanatory i guess, again tons of colour combinations

Last 3 are thinner and slightly shorter. pre tied as well, but they use a noose system with one of those spring loaded cylinders you find on shoelaces at times. Bright yellow, metallic blue and purple. but many more combinations.

Thanx for the input re longer ties, as well and the kids ties.

I know not everyone wears ties, i hardly get dressed up either however there is obviously is a market out there that i wish to tap into.

So thanx again, and keep em coming! ill PM the people that give their opinion when the site is up and running

Cheers! Jason