Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Will coolant make you sick??

In an "emergency" (moment of stupidity .. which seems to be coming more frequent lately!!) I needed to get some coolant out of the header tank of the AU, so as a last resort I siphoned it with a hose and of course got some in my mouth (but didn't ingest any). I washed my mouth throughly with water, but of course that's where I left it ... about 14 hours ago. Do I need to do anything else or am I just being hypochondriac?

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #2
2002auxr6
Drunk!

ummm, lol, did it taste nice! i wouldnt have a clue, i dont think it would of been good for you if you swallowed it but given you didnt you should be fine, i nearly drank paint stripper the other day, that would of been a disaster, had a glass of jim beam in one hand and paint stripper in a glass in the other, went to take a sip of the jim beam and it was the paint stripper! thats shit burns! lucky i dint swallow anything and i was close to a hose
Old 30-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like we won't have to worry about you overheating this summer.....

If it was 14 hours ago I'm sure if anything was going to happen would have happened by now.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz

If it was 14 hours ago I'm sure if anything was going to happen would have happened by now.
Agreed. Although go have a shot of some really strong alcohol, always helps...LOL

Im not a Doctor, dont take what I say as gospel..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Sounds like we won't have to worry about you overheating this summer.....

Good on Melz :

I would be gathering the same thing, if something was to have happened surely it would have well and truly before 14 hours later. I do believe it has POISON written on it.. but could be wrong.
I think the thing is you didn't swallow it and you washed your mouth out quickly, so should be ok.

If you really are worried though, ring the poisons line or the hospital..!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Don't stress, no big deal, it would be diluted for 1, try a mouthful of petrol that tastes worse, you will be fine, if you swalled some you might have thrown up, or got an upset stomach, you would have to be highly alergic to a substance in the coolant otherwsie.

The amount of fluids I have accidently swallowed/spat back out when working on my car and I am still here, trans fluid, enginge oil, coolant, petrol, battery acid, meh if in doubt drink a glass of milk

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
The amount of fluids I have accidently swallowed/spat back out when working on my car and I am still here, trans fluid, enginge oil, coolant, petrol, battery acid, meh if in doubt drink a glass of milk
You do realise you are taking the 'loving ya car' to a whole new level when you are so blase about swallowing liquids meant for the car... :evil_laug

Not sure which one sounds the worst out of that collection, most likely the battery acid but mmmm not so sure :

This is why you blokes have to learn how to keep your mouths SHUT more often (no intake of unwanted fluids then) :evil_laug
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
ummm, lol, did it taste nice! i wouldnt have a clue, i dont think it would of been good for you if you swallowed it but given you didnt you should be fine, i nearly drank paint stripper the other day, that would of been a disaster, had a glass of jim beam in one hand and paint stripper in a glass in the other, went to take a sip of the jim beam and it was the paint stripper! thats shit burns! lucky i dint swallow anything and i was close to a hose
crikies, mate thats why we are warned from a young age never leave nasty things in soft drink containers and such so little kids dont drink it, now your an adult so thats a bit of a worry .whats real scary is the thought aa little one might have picked up your glass but im sure you would not do that if you had kids around "EVER"
lol
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ethylene glycol (anti freeze) is widely known for its use as a cat poison
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
In an "emergency" (moment of stupidity .. which seems to be coming more frequent lately!!) I needed to get some coolant out of the header tank of the AU, so as a last resort I siphoned it with a hose and of course got some in my mouth (but didn't ingest any). I washed my mouth throughly with water, but of course that's where I left it ... about 14 hours ago. Do I need to do anything else or am I just being hypochondriac?

Its been an hour since your post...

Are you still alive ? No adverse effects ?

Please put up a post so we know your o.k. :evil_laug

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
You do realise you are taking the 'loving ya car' to a whole new level when you are so blase about swallowing liquids meant for the car... :evil_laug

Not sure which one sounds the worst out of that collection, most likely the battery acid but mmmm not so sure :

This is why you blokes have to learn how to keep your mouths SHUT more often (no intake of unwanted fluids then) :evil_laug
i forgot to add, lumps off dirt and or grease that fall off the underbody of 15 year old cars as well.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
ethylene glycol (anti freeze) is widely known for its use as a cat poison
Correct - it is quite poisenous, hope you didnt swallow it.

Never leave a coolant container where an animal such as a cat/dog can access it. The smell/taste is very attractive to them, but it will kill them.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #13
vectra-racer
pom racer

a garage in the uk recently:

guys in the workshop are sick of one of the technicians drinking the communal cola straight from the bottle, so they put some coolant in it [its usually a sweet taste, coolant] hoping that would be a lesson to him, however he took VERY ill, and none of the technicians said anything because they didnt want to get in trouble, time went on and he got sicker and sicker, he went blind, lost the ability to walk and all the while the doctors cant figure out why, then he goes into a coma and eventually the mechanic owns up, the doctors are able to bring him out of the coma, but he'll be blind and paralysed forever.

if the mechanic had told the doctors sooner they could have easily fixed the guy tho.

the mechanic got 14 years in jail.

dunno how much you'd have to drink to get that ill tho
Old 30-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check this out

http://www.mnpoison.org/index.asp?pageID=155

Poison centre information regarding this stuff.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I ended up with a mouth full of coolant while working on a triton, don't think i swallowed any but im still alive. It was a good 6 months ago though.
Old 30-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Ingestion wouldnt have been pretty. But its not the kind of substance that will harm/injure with momentary contact.

Remember - they used to put this stuff in wine!!!!
Old 30-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eh dont worry about it although didnt some french guys go to jail for padding there wine out with the stuff

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ethylene glycol is toxic to the liver, but it is fairly quick acting. If no effects after 24hrs, no worry.
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #19
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

You will probably be OK. But dont leave the stuff around where your beloved moggy can get to it. For some reason cats like to drink the stuff. And the end result is a dead family pet.
Old 30-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"coolant" wont' make you sick since what actually does the cooling is water. The ethylene or propylene glycol that is added as an inhibitor and anti-freeze/anti-boil can make you sick for sure.

I'm getting fussy here I know. It's just a lot of people don't know how it works. Ethylene and propylene glycol have lower thermal conductivities than water and lower the colling effect.
I recall an associate who tried running pure ethylene glycol in his car because it was running a higher temp. Got him back to 10 % and the temp dropped.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #21
Hawk
I am The Brain!

As long as you didn't swallow it you should be alright. Because you washed your mouth out with copious amounts of water I don't think there is much to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6
Yikes that was close!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
I ended up with a mouth full of coolant while working on a triton, don't think i swallowed any but im still alive. It was a good 6 months ago though.
You haven't noticed a change in behaviour have you? Started watching Oprah during the day maybe? If you have I think it may be terminal.
:1syellow1

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #22
micksta

been 8 and a half hours .. maybe we should call a doctor lol
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He won't be losing his cool anytime soon!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:00 PM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
"coolant" wont' make you sick since what actually does the cooling is water. The ethylene or propylene glycol that is added as an inhibitor and anti-freeze/anti-boil can make you sick for sure.

I'm getting fussy here I know. It's just a lot of people don't know how it works. Ethylene and propylene glycol have lower thermal conductivities than water and lower the colling effect.
I recall an associate who tried running pure ethylene glycol in his car because it was running a higher temp. Got him back to 10 % and the temp dropped.
You should run pure glycol/coolant. Its acidic in its pure form, theres a reason why on the bottle it says not to run more than 50% coolant/water ratio.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #25
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
You should run pure glycol/coolant. Its acidic in its pure form, theres a reason why on the bottle it says not to run more than 50% coolant/water ratio.
should run? no way!
Above about 70% it starts to increse the freezing point and decrease the boling point. Thermal condictivity is very poor by then.
50% is for an optimal balance to provide antifreeze. you need less for corrosion resistance hence many 5-10% recommendations.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #26
phoon
BOLLOCKS

:baby bott
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #27
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
You haven't noticed a change in behaviour have you? Started watching Oprah during the day maybe? If you have I think it may be terminal.
:1syellow1
Damn i thought that was just a natural human progression, come to think of it i have had an overwhelming urge to start wearing cartigans lately..... does this mean i'm too far gone to be saved?
Old 30-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #28
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
Check this out

http://www.mnpoison.org/index.asp?pageID=155

Poison centre information regarding this stuff.
mechaism of action eg may cause syptoms of inebreation[ hicup] drink up lol na seriously dont drink it
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #29
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

You'll be fine...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Your not going to believe it, but after laughing at your I did the same stupid thing.

I was removing my pin striping off my car, and had a bottle of metho next to me, and next to it a beer.

And which one do you think I took a swig of? Yeap, the bloody Metho! I didn't swallow it but I felt a bit quisey (sp?) for a bit.

Tastes like shyte!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post