Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Students (and Education minister) ignorant of our history

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20825635-2,00.html
Corrected by a Nova D.J., LOL.
To quote Borat: "To have woman as politician in my country would be like allowing a monkey to fly a plane"

GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

A few surpises there....

I would expect any australian to be able to explain the significance of 1 january and 26 January.... and the importance of the union jack. And the importance of ANZAC day - to think that kids dont understand that.... is pretty poor.

Id def support mandatory history for all year levels.
Old 27-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I know what 26 of January is all about and ANZAC day. I must say I couldnt recall the date for Federation day and why it was so significant.

The flag surprised me - some students must be pretty stupid, I mean it is largley self explanatory, even if you didnt know you could surley work out that Australia was settled by England who's flag is a Union Jack thus the small union jack on our flag alongside the southern cross.

Sure I'd support more "Australian history" in schools (it only goes back a microsecond so wont take long to learn), as long as we don't become like American schools where all they learn about is America and think that Australia is in Europe somewhere near Germany.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Id def support mandatory history for all year levels.
mate are you serious?
do you have any idea how tuff school is in yr12?
we only have one compulsuary subject in yr11 & 12 and thats english.
while i do see your point of veiw, i just dont share it. at my school its compolsuary until yr9 or 10 can't remember now, and i can tell you that barely any of it is based on australia, and if it is, then it's all about the aboriginal people who we took there land off them ect ect (im not racist if it came off that way, im sorry).
personally i think that nothing should be compulsuary(school wise). we should be allowed to make our own choices.
just my 2 cents
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep making subjects mandatory won't make them learn if they don't want to.

Simple as that!

None of my subjects were mandatory in Yr 11 and 12 yet if you are wise you should do Maths and English regardless. I didn't like it but I still did it. What's the point in having a Yr 12 without either of those things though?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
BlackLS

The basis of Aus History was taught to us in yr 5 and 6.

Then retaught in year 7 and 8.

The thing about it is that its a subject thats not taken seriously along the lines of P.E. I can remember hearing "why do we have to learn about history, its already passed."
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
BlackLS

Its not only students that haven't learnt history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChBKqcRpmDs
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYSEDAN
mate are you serious?
do you have any idea how tuff school is in yr12?
Well it was a few years back (class of 98) but yeah, i did the 5 "publicly examined" subjects to get into university. And i still managed to pick up a basic understanding of how my country works and where it came from....

Dont get me wrong, i see your point.

But do we want the people who are moving into trades, moving into university, going on to start careers... not knowing what federation day is all about?

I guess im promoting some kind of balance. Those born and bred in our country, the products of our schooling system... should at least know as much about Australian history as those who have immigrated here and obtained citizenship. (the couple of people i know who have become australian citizens recently know a fair bit more about australian history than i do!!! lol)

Most people can get the "jist" of it within a few hours.... there's probably no need for a 20 week curriculum on the matter
Old 27-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

no, we dont want that, of course i feel that people should know about our history, i just think it gets waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to repetitive.
cumpolsuary to yr 8 or 9 yeh that's cool coz school is just for fun up till then, yr10 semi serious yr11 gettin bloody serious if your like me and did 3 yr12 subjects,
and yr12 (what im about to start with only 3 subjects, GO ME! lol) is deadly serious, no time for fartin round now (unfortunatly).
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
by England who's flag is a Union Jack .
Think someone needs to go back to school :
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Compulsary as a yr 12 subject? I don't believe that is the right approach. Possably intergrated it as a manditory Y10 exam. Passes in English & maths at Yr10 is manditory, why not make passing a simple Australian history exam in yr10 compulsary.

Teaching these things in the younger grades is the best approach, leaving it to Yr10-12 would not be the best approach. I took 6 PES subjects in yr 12 (and 2 yr12 subjects in yr11) and whilst yr12 is by no means "hardcore" slipping in a 6/7th subject based on Aus history is getting a tad too much.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
even if you didnt know you could surley work out that Australia was settled by England who's flag is a Union Jack .
bzzzzzzz try again.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Think someone needs to go back to school :
lol yes OK the Union jack is the flag of the UK and England is the red cross on the white background if you want to get technical :1syellow1
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you're going to be a historian is there any need or any interest in knowing our history.

Don't get me wrong I love this country but I couldn't be arsed learning about shit that happend many moons ago.
Old 27-11-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

WGAF really. If you want to be brainwashed into patriotism like the Yanks then be my guest.

Primary School is the time to do it, and maybe yr7, but after that there are more important things to be learning.

It is important to know how a country has evolved, but its not critical.

XYSEDAN, you going to uni? Yr12 really isn't that full on, well done on doing it but be prepared for some more "fun"
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

History in schools today is about multiculturalism and racism, they teach you all about other countries and there issues though the wars but they seem to forget Australia's!
Who is Australia's first prime minister?
When was the decimal currency first introduced?
When were aboriginals and woman first allowed to vote?
Where does the PM live? (This one has many answers by some!
What are the national emblems of Australia?
When did Australia win the America's Cup?
etc

IMO all of these questions and similar one should be a no-brainer to those who come out of school by year 10 (now days)
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY
History in schools today is about multiculturalism and racism, they teach you all about other countries and there issues though the wars but they seem to forget Australia's!
etc

IMO all of these questions and similar one should be a no-brainer to those who come out of school by year 10 (now days)
See I dont agree, other than having a nerd fight what difference does it make if you know any of that. I reakon I could only answer half of it without google
:togo:
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really the only things that should be taught are Maths and English. The rest are electives and based on interest.

No point forcing kids to swallow bunches of information they have no interest in other than those two subjects which are essential for day to day living.
Old 27-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It reminds me of Arts people at uni. Say you have had a few drinks, stuff around, and then some idiot starts crapping on about WW2. He goes on and on about some useless detail and seems to know alot. Then another person will start arguing and next thing you know you have the worlds most boring conversation.

And at the end of the day they are just repeating crap they think they remember form a text book...

And about what? Something that happen x years ago...woohoo!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #20
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the kids theses days are overdosed on Riddlin and don't know what's goes on at school!
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4

Last edited by bArNsY; 27-11-2006 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Poor Spelling
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
etc

I dont see the need to know all these dates verbatim. But knowing that they are/were important events in our history is important.

Most kids these days know more about Americam history than Australian history. Our history is deemed boring. Where the Americans have cowboys and indians and cops and robbers...... :nutsycuck
Old 27-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #22
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the whole system is a joke. all i remember learning at school from primary to year 10 was that the white settlement took the land from the aboriginies. how many years in a row do we need to be reminded about this. there is hundreds of countries out there with thousands of years full of history out there that is never covered. dont get me wrong i love oz but there is only so many times you can hear the same stuff over and over. making history compulsary in year 12 wont solve anything. what about all those people who leave in year 10? does that mean they wont be fully educated on australian history? and then you have year 12 students who already have pressure with other subjects to be forced to learn more history. at school for electives they said that there was only 2 types of history to learn and they said ancient and modern but they have no room for history in between. i want to learn about the vikings but its not even available as an elective. the only history we learn at school is australian history and if people cant remember it, its either because the teachers aren't doing their jobs or studenst aren't paying attention. we need more excitement instead of going through the routines over and over. if yours going to do a trade does it really matter why a building has a certain name?
Old 27-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
the whole system is a joke. all i remember learning at school from primary to year 10 was that the white settlement took the land from the aboriginies. how many years in a row do we need to be reminded about this. there is hundreds of countries out there with thousands of years full of history out there that is never covered. dont get me wrong i love oz but there is only so many times you can hear the same stuff over and over. making history compulsary in year 12 wont solve anything. what about all those people who leave in year 10? does that mean they wont be fully educated on australian history? and then you have year 12 students who already have pressure with other subjects to be forced to learn more history. at school for electives they said that there was only 2 types of history to learn and they said ancient and modern but they have no room for history in between. i want to learn about the vikings but its not even available as an elective. the only history we learn at school is australian history and if people cant remember it, its either because the teachers aren't doing their jobs or studenst aren't paying attention. we need more excitement instead of going through the routines over and over. if yours going to do a trade does it really matter why a building has a certain name?
Mate its great you want to post here, but please structure your posts
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #24
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh i re read it and i guess it could have been better structured but i guess you get the point lol thank you
Old 27-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #25
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Barton
Who cares?
Kirribilli house
Emu and Kangaroo
etc

How did I go? American kids can't recognise a picture of George Washington but they all know Ronald McDonald.
Old 27-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #26
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

yeah, my dad was ****ed off that we had 2 exams on american history and one on some desert in africa but none about australian history, i know and respect anzac day and rememberance day for what they are, but the others i couldnt give 2 shits about...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #27
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
How did I go? American kids can't recognise a picture of George Washington but they all know Ronald McDonald.
Did you just search with Google? :P

I think women were allowed to vote in 1902? I could only guess Indigenous Australians were allowed to vote around the early '70s - I know the referendum was greatly in favour of this.

Anyway, I think our history is important and as a bare minimum school-kids should be taught and tested on the important aspects of our history. We have enough American values and traditions instilled in us, it's time we took greater pride in our heritage (we weren't all convicts).

"Who cares about our history?" I care about my history and what my forefathers did for this (and your) country. There is nothing wrong with patriotism.

Going by this forum and my friends' English, I think we need to take a greater stance on spelling and grammar more than anything.

In the end ANZAC stood and still stands for reckless valour in a good cause, for enterprise, resourcefulness, fidelity, comradeship and endurance that will never admit defeat.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #28
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happened at ANZAC cove was disgusting. We shouldn't use that to define our history. Getting involved in other people's wars.
Old 27-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Going by this forum and my friends' English, I think we need to take a greater stance on spelling and grammar more than anything.
Yes, well MRC relay chat and the mobile phone put an end to that, didnt they....
Old 27-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #30
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Australian history would need to be at best, mildly interesting, before trying to make anyone digest it in large doses.

Captain Cook arrives
Shoots a bunch of folk
Sets up a prison colony
and they all lived happily ever after

See? Boring.

Now as its a countries duty to rewrite history until its exciting and politically uplifting lets rewrite a bit.

Captain Cook travels back in time and defeats an advanced super smart civilization of wombat warriors to make his conquest of australia easier.
He is unable to beat them alone, so enlists the help of Mario Kazaar and Arnold Schwarzenegger, who make a movie about the exploits after many explosions and gutteral yelling.

Captain Cook returns to his present time and kicks crap out of everyone using nothing more then a sack and a 12 inch black rubber donger.

Matthew Flinders arrives to establish the first KFC farm in Albany WA in around 1790.

John Howard, Australias greatest prime minister is born in the same year. 2 years later the same mother gives birth to Bob Hawke in an ironic twist of political family fate and anguish.

Bob hawke defeats john howard with a winged keel, but John is resurrected years later after a necromancer chants the sacred incantation of GST 100 times in a current affair interview after trying to work out how much to charge Mike Willesee for cake. Later Mike Willesee refuses to pay for the cake and demands sex from the necromancer.

Which brings us to today.

See kids? Wasnt that more interesting?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post