Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
fnm17

Default Installing Factory Sunroof into ED

Guys,

Being searching on the forums to see if someone has done this, but come up with nothing. I can get hold of an EB complete roof with sunroof still in it and lining, will it be a hard conversion to install the sunroof into my ED ?

Thanks in advance

fnm17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

not all that hard, look on fordmods, i am sure they have a doco on it.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
fnm17

nah just went there and there is alot of banter on the subject but really no info on doing the conversion, unless it is the pop up one.
Old 23-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Cut your roof off, and weld the EB one one :P

Seriously, your best bet would be to call some of the companies that install aftermarket sunroofs and get a proper quote.

Im sure you could do it yourself, but have you ever tried cutting through a panel without stuffing the surrounding paintwork?? Not easy...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

i have seen a thread on someone doing it, they measured twice, taped off the paint to stop damage, removed the headlining, cut a whole with a jigsaw, cut the lining and dropped the sun roof in.

Old 23-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
fnm17

Yeah well it does seem pretty easy. but then again it can be an expensive stuff up if done wrong. I thought that the there was an extra support within the roof for a sunroof, as my mates EF Ghia had a lower roof. If I had the roof here to check out, it would be alot easier to sus out. Suprisingly though with all the info on the forums and people whom have done mods, no one has doco'd this install yet.
Old 23-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

well best I know of, there was absolutley no difference from factory for cars with a sunroof option.

Old 23-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
jases ed
Starter Motor

Default sunroof

be really careful to remove all the metal filings....nothing worse than a perfectly fitting sunroof that needs to be removed because the roof is now full on cancer because filings were left under it.

Seen it happen a couple of times now, and both were professional (if you can call it tha) installs as well.

I have a factory fitted sunroof in my ED and yes the roof lining is noticably lower. Also the interior light and map lights are set slightly further towards the back of the car.

Pretty certain there is a suppot beam that needs to be cut as well....dont quote me on that though as going on distant memory with that one.
jases ed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
fnm17

I have access to a nibbler at work here, so should be no worries of leaving filings if I attempeted to do so, but I would give plenty of attention to the exposed edge and treat it before sealing it off.

I really need to get to the wreckers and check out the differences in roof structure of the two.
Old 23-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #10
Craney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey fnm17,

I just had a Webasto Hollandia 400 installed in my EL. It is an electric vinyl slider and is the largest hole that can be installed that I could find. It was done by a professional and they did a superb job. At $2200 it wasn't the cheapest way of getting some sunshine through the roof but we love it. The Webasto range has about seven different styles from simple pop up glass to metal/glass internal sliders through to full roof panorama glass dual panel roofs. And of course the vinyl observatory
Good thing about Webastos is that they are installed without welding. Top and bottom rims clamp together every inch of the perimeter and, of course, they are ADR compliant re the mono construction integrity of the car.

Only problem with mine is they put it in the wrong place, but that is a whole other story that I will tell in a thread I will start in the build forum soon.

You probably know all I'm about to say but be careful welding your roof, particularly with smaller sunroofs where there is a fair distance from the edge of the roof to the weld line. Distortion can be a big problem. Dont weld continuously but in small sections apart from each other to distribute heat and use a TIG if possible. Good luck with it whichever way you go.
Craney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 10:43 AM   #11
fnm17

Thanks elghia, I will only go down the sunroof path if it is a reasonable priced mod, got other things in a highier priority to spend a couple of grand (fasts bits ). Yeah I know what you mean about the welding, I am a cert 10 for welding, but still wouldn't want to weld anything to a roof.
Old 27-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #12
*rayman*
454 Power

hey frank, i have a roof in the eb, you can check it out for fitment next time you're up this way if you like.

Roof lining definately sits a little lower than standard.

Make sure it has a good roof lining with it, as trying to find a replacement is quite a challenge. The roof is awesome, i never regret getting a car with one.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
fnm17

Sounds like a good idea Ray, I have to goto down to Brisbane for work again so might deviate a bit and check out the sunroof down there, as it is a complete roof cut.

Everytime I see a sunroof open or tilted back I wish I had it in the car !