Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".
Default How Accurate are Speedo Tests (Wodonga)

Driving from NSW to Shepparton today in the wife's ED , we went through the "Speedo Check" just south of Wodonga on the Hume . The Speedo was exactly on 100 k's going through the "gate" , BUT up on the overhead sign there was a big 91 .... : ... is our speedo out that much or or are those signs a bit Sus.

Has anyone been through them lately & how were your results . Were they Accurate ? ? ?

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
EFFalcon
Last warning

mine have always been very consistant.
either they're all wrong, or all right :P
mine always reads 99 @ 100
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

There was one on the City West Link in Sydney for a while, I drove past it at 70 and it told me 63.

Someone I know may or may not have passed it at 100km/h, indicated, and it said 75. And the car is brand new (so is mine). Wasn't the most accurate measuring thingie I've seen.

Another one once told us the van, loaded + 4 people in it, my dad's old one, was doing 90 in a 60 zone uphill when the speedo read 40. Hmmm....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 08:17 AM   #4
lethal_xr8

i drive through this a bit and my speedo always reads 1k out everytime
lethal_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Driving from NSW to Shepparton today in the wife's ED , we went through the "Speedo Check" just south of Wodonga on the Hume . The Speedo was exactly on 100 k's going through the "gate" , BUT up on the overhead sign there was a big 91 .... : ... is our speedo out that much or or are those signs a bit Sus.

Has anyone been through them lately & how were your results . Were they Accurate ? ? ?
Drive faster then!

AFAIK they are accurate. There should be alot more of them.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I find them pretty good usually.

Car speedo's are usually out and out on the conservative side.

From the best i can gather through radar speedchecks at construction sites, time vs distance measurements and the police, mine reads 3/4kmh high.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a bit of variation but i've been through once with GPS and it was spot on.
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:

That sounds about right mate.

Ive got a little GPS device for measuring speeds very accurately on flat roads. Both my cars are doing 51/51 when the speedo reads 60. Other cars ive tested have been similar.

Also consistent readings from my GPS to these novelty signs.
Old 21-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

is this the one a few Ks south of Wodonga on the Freeway?

i have been through that gate doing 110km/h on my speedo in my KJ2 Laser, and the sign read i was doing 107km/h

and this was only a month ago.

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
BlackLS

Cars generally are made with speedos 1-3% faster than the actual road speed.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ED reads about the same, if I set the cruise to 108 it shows 100 on those readouts. Have been through the ones on the freeway between Geelong and Melbourne, the ones further up the Hume towards Wodonga and the distance markers up through NSW/QLand and always about the same. Have never been booked either so I think they must be pretty right.
Old 21-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #12
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

My XR6 is very accurate going by those Speedo Tests. My GT is out because of the Diff Ratio chance, but I now know how far out @ 100 km/h it is.

As someone else has said, there should be more of them, and less Speed Cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I changed the wheels and tyres on a very old car and i used a bike speedo (the type that pedal bikes use) clipped to the dash. Some models of speedo allow you to enter the diameter of the tyre in mm, so my speedo on the lcd display was 99.9% accurate i would imagine.

Cheers
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

My opinion is they are unreliable (better than a few years ago though) and can sometimes give too low a speed.
You are better off doing a time versus distance check to work out your actual speed - the Hume near Benalla is ideal for this, you can get 20-30km of mostly straight, flat road to hold a consistent speed, and there is a distance post every kilometre. Even timing with a normal watch to the second will give good accuracy (a 5sec error in a 12min measurement is 0.7% error for example)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
My ED reads about the same, if I set the cruise to 108 it shows 100 on those readouts. Have been through the ones on the freeway between Geelong and Melbourne, the ones further up the Hume towards Wodonga and the distance markers up through NSW/QLand and always about the same. Have never been booked either so I think they must be pretty right.
The distance markers in NSW allow you to test the accuracy of your odometer or trip meter. They do not allow you to test the accuracy of the speedometer.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #16
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
My opinion is they are unreliable (better than a few years ago though) and can sometimes give too low a speed.
You are better off doing a time versus distance check to work out your actual speed - the Hume near Benalla is ideal for this, you can get 20-30km of mostly straight, flat road to hold a consistent speed, and there is a distance post every kilometre. Even timing with a normal watch to the second will give good accuracy (a 5sec error in a 12min measurement is 0.7% error for example)
Fluctations in speed will add to the timing errors.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #17
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ED is also out by about 10.
But. If I punch the average Km/h on the trip computer (while on cruise control) as I go through them, then the Trip computer is about 2 lower. If I use the NavMan Sat nav then the over head signs also are slow by about 3km/h..
I drive the sprint by the tacho not the speed as 2000rpm is more accurate than the speed. I must send the speed off to be recalibrated..!
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #18
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I went through the one first just outside of Albury towards Melbourne a few months ago. Maybe it's the same one? It said I was doing 117 when at 120 indicated. This was a huge shock to me and I felt quite embarrassed and surprised.

Back in Easter I went through one near Daylesford at 110 indicated and it said 102.

From this reading in Easter I assumed that driving at 120 indicated on a 110 km/h road would present no problem.

Further evidence from dyno runs shows that at 60 indicated my car does 56 km/h. At 100 indicated it does 94 km/h.

On the way to Albury I passed a few speed cameras while doing 120 indicated and months later have not received any fines.

My wheel size hasn't changed the whole time, so I have no idea what to believe anymore.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #19
bdennis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If all else fails. Believe the Speedo Or get a GPS...
bdennis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Fluctations in speed will add to the timing errors.
That is true, which is why I mentioned that part of the Hume - I am sure you would be familiar with it given your location. I timed a 30min/50km section where the speedo needle did not move by more than a kay or so either way, and did that only a few times - over that time/distance it's still pretty insignificant. Obviously if the speed is not held steady (can judge this off the speedo) then the measurement is worthless.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #21
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdennis
If all else fails. Believe the Speedo
And then we face the abuse from others of driving 6-10k's under the speed limit.

The speedo on my xf reads exactly as per Dauphin's. At 100 on the speedo I am doing 94 in reality. I think. So on a road like Melb-Geelong, with tons of speed cam's, I sit on 100 as per the speedo and probably cause high blood pressure to everyone behind me.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #22
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Driving from NSW to Shepparton today in the wife's ED , we went through the "Speedo Check" just south of Wodonga on the Hume .
I hope you didnt wear your jockeys that day! :nutsycuck
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #23
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never found them to be accurate when comparing with a gps reading.

I sit on the speed according to my gps, not the speedo or speed check. Speedo in the truck chaanged 3kph just by putting new tyres on it.

Know a guy with a new AUDI Allroad. Cost a pretty penny, and at 100kmh indicated it is only doing 90kmh. He too up his complaint with AUDI and they said they wont fix it because in means replacing his entire dash, at a cost of about 8k and that basically it still is within their 10% manufacturing tolerance! Just what you want to hear when you've spent over $100k on a car.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #24
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Quote:
I went through the one first just outside of Albury towards Melbourne a few months ago. Maybe it's the same one? It said I was doing 117 when at 120 indicated. This was a huge shock to me and I felt quite embarrassed and surprised.
Keep in mind the one just out of albury-wodonga only reads a maximum of 117km/h..

I have been through this particular speed "checker" and have had some mixed results.. i always set the cruise on 110km through them and can remember once getting 99km.. 116km.. 107km..

If you want an accurate speedo i suggest you either take your car and get it re-calibrated by a pro.. or buy a GPS type device..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #25
AU-Hog

The other day I went north through the ones just north of Kalkallo on the Hume and it displayed 113KM/h compared with 112.8km/h on my GPS. Over the years I have seen some of them (the Ballarat road ones especially travelling west) read a long way out compared to the GPS, but recently they mostly have been fairly close(+/- 1Km/h). Can't comment on the Geelong Road ones though.
Old 24-11-2006, 03:59 AM   #26
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr22n
is this the one a few Ks south of Wodonga on the Freeway?

i have been through that gate doing 110km/h on my speedo in my KJ2 Laser, and the sign read i was doing 107km/h

and this was only a month ago.
Yep , That's the one .

Thanks for all the replies , I think I'll get the Speedo checked by a Pro , the Mrs gets a "Little P####d" being passed all the time & doesn't want to get busted . She's been driving for 33 yrs and never had a ticket , but now she's a bit peeved that she's been holding up traffic all this time .

Once again , thanks everyone for your input.

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 07:39 AM   #27
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a while we had a contributor from Ford management on the Territory forum and he told us that speedos were deliberately made to underread by a few kph. Something to do with discouraging you from speeding I think! Would be interesting to know if the same applies to the car's black box that tells the police what you were doing before the accident!
Old 24-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #28
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Tomtom on my PDA reports mine as spot on the money...
Old 24-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #29
woodsy109

There is one at the top of the kuranda range and it is spot on with my bikes digital speedo at 80km/h. It's just one of those portable ones which I would assume might get calibrated more often than the permanant ones.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #30
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've recently checked the speed check device on the Geelong - Melbourne section of the Princess Fwy using 2 separate GPS devices and can advise that it was 100% accurate. GPS stated 100km/h and speed check indicated the same. The car's speedo however indicated 108km/h...

Earlier some indicated using the distance posts as a measure. It's pretty simple but works best with a flat road and cruise control. For a measured kilometre travelled at 100km/h it should take 36 seconds to traverse. To improve the accuracy, travel a longer distance. For 5kms @100km/h = 3 minutes. For 10kms @100km/h = 6 minutes.

On the same journey when I tested the GPS against the speedo and speed checker, the measured distance approach confirmed the speedo error.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post