Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Advice on light boot install?

well yesterday i bought a massive sheet of 3mm thick MDF, its 2400x1200mm!!
what im planning to do is firstly cover the back of the boot lid to make it all neat. i'll be able to get it to shape but im wondering what other people have done to get the right shape?? also how to people attach it to the actual boot?

i went to Clark Rubber yesterday also and found the carpet i'll neew to cover it in. theres 2 types tho, one has really short hair but has a hard backing while the other one has slightly longer hairs but has no backing which makes it more flexible. so would the second choice be the way to go as i'll be able to shape it better? both choices look really nice too!!!

ok after i do the boot lid i was thinking since i'll have so much MDF left i could do some neater walls either side of the boot and maybe a front, as in replace the plastics covering the taillights etc. also at the back i'll hopefully diagonally cover the wheel arches and then go straight back again to finish behind the bit of plastic at the back of the seats. so in the end i'll still be able to open my rear seats and still see in the boot. the floor will stay as it is too!
i dont want to mount subs and amps in funny postions, just want to neaten up the walls! ok so my question here is whats the best way to once again get the size and shapes of each peice? and i'll need some sort of frame work but what should i attach that too? with the walls i want to have them as close to the outside as possible, as in on the outside of the boot hinges. reason for this is i still want to have room to put lugguge in, especially when i go on holidays and go camping!

so for anyone whos done installs before can i get some tips please?!! i really need to know about attaching the MDF to the boot lid too!

thanks!
cheers
Braden :

Old 10-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Get some thin high density foam and squeeze glue this in under the boot bracing to reduce vibration noise later on when the subs go in.

Cardboard is great for templates can be made the exact shape before cutting too.

depends how you do the wood and plan to cover the edges.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

the vibration bit is a good idea. i need to do this with the parcel shelf too because the sub vibrates the crap out of it!
i thought to cover the edges by wrapping the carpet around it.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

get some standard xmas tree plug push ins should hold the weight and the holes are already in the boot bracing.

Goto autobarn or alike and have a look at the standard plastic plug range, plenty of ways you can achieve what you want.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

hmmm not sure exactly what you mean by that.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

xmas trees are what all the plastic plugs that hold ur plastic covers onto ur interior are called....like the ones on the panel that covers the ECU
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

ah ok i get ya! hey is the ecu located behind the passenger side kick panel in the front? and if so is this where you can buy add on's for or something?