Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default TEXAS (US) goes to 80MPH (130km/h) in daytime.

In 2001 the Federal Highways Administration US - updated what we'd call their road design guidlines, in this topic to enable long term engineering of interstates for speed ranges up to 80MPH - 130km/h.

Texas now expands the existing 80mph limit.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/us...ed.html?ref=us

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

And the NT is going to bring in 110kmhr, no more unrestricted !!!!!
Australia is going the other way. Italy has upped the Autostrada to 160km/hr. So speed kills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What we need is politicians who like cars and don't see motorist as defacto tax collectors. I have more chance of going to bonk Angelina Jolie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Revenue.. the ONLY reason we have such pathetic speed limits.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

New cameras on the westgate freeway, have signs in the area saying they are turned on, and "Cameras Cut Crashes" Hmmmmm??
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
New cameras on the westgate freeway, have signs in the area saying they are turned on, and "Cameras Cut Crashes" Hmmmmm??
at least they could be honest and put a few of these up

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
And the NT is going to bring in 110kmhr, no more unrestricted !!!!!
Australia is going the other way. Italy has upped the Autostrada to 160km/hr. So speed kills !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What we need is politicians who like cars and don't see motorist as defacto tax collectors. I have more chance of going to bonk Angelina Jolie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is one of the proposals, championed by the likes of NT's police commisioner, Harold Scruby et al.

NT government have been under Commonwealth pressure for some years to bring in an absolute maximum, and previous NT roads minister' on both sides have rightly opposed any such move as being uneccessary.

NT government have received much opposition to a speed limit to date, and so they are going to release a report of the proposals on the net very soon.

Those wishing to oppose the speed limit maximum must continue writing to NT politicians making it quite clear your opposition, and mentioning you consider the existing allowance sufficient, and take the responsibility that arrives under it seriously. Non NT residents are free to advocate same, 'as tourists', as are 'industry' for other reasons.

No decision has been made, yet; - but that it is looming close. Other options up for grabs are the demerit points system, license category harmonisation etc and so on, much of this will be reasonable.

Since health had forced the previous deputy PM and then Transport Minister (Anderson) from office, we have seen a more determined Commonwealth agency push for control over NT's evil allowance, though it is mostly championed by state public servants from VIC, SA, WA, QLD and NSW, with various academics drumming on in as well, all under the guise of 'harmonisation', I put it as 'nationalisation', some is fair and proper, some is not.

The jurisditions *must* maintain full and absolute control over applied speed limits, or derestriction, but within the international signage allowances as contracted and using the ATSB report recommendations of using VMS to allow so as needed and applicable.

Much yearly $$ to be made on continued 'research', its an industy that repeats itself and has done so over the last 30 off years, parroting yearly what it already knows, or thinks it does. Yet they miss much of the finer detail that goes to saving lives, detail used in OS jurisdictions.

The (//) - as applied to a length of road cannot be taken to mean 100km/h or 110km/h, but this would mean a high court ruling if you are booked for 'exceeding the speed limit' when you pass the sign, failing that, an appeal to the International Court of Justice.

Someone might like to make the effort to email the Texas change in speed limit to NT politicians email addy's, I have not the time right now.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 15-10-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 15-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AS long as we have all these bleeding harts and do gooders making policy and all these people out there when every time there is a crash they blame it on everything else except the driver We will continue to suffer under BullS**t speed limits and road rules.

All the policy is made by people who sit in officers and look at Lab test’s, why don’t they get out in the real world on a road, get in a car and take a drive from Perth to Exmouth in one day and find out how slow 110 actually is.

We need to start teaching people how to drive and not how to parse a test.

People also need to wake up to reality, if anybody seriously believes a death toll of 0 on Australian roads is an achievable target they are living in a fantasy world.

And Harold Scrubby and Grant Dorrington both need to take a long walk of a short jetty, they are both Compleat ********* tossers with no idea, It just goes to show how F**ked up the system is where 2 clowns like that can get into the positions they have.

cheers.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
AS long as we have all these bleeding harts and do gooders making policy and all these people out there when every time there is a crash they blame it on everything else except the driver We will continue to suffer under BullS**t speed limits and road rules.

All the policy is made by people who sit in officers and look at Lab test’s, why don’t they get out in the real world on a road, get in a car and take a drive from Perth to Exmouth in one day and find out how slow 110 actually is.

We need to start teaching people how to drive and not how to parse a test.

People also need to wake up to reality, if anybody seriously believes a death toll of 0 on Australian roads is an achievable target they are living in a fantasy world.

And Harold Scrubby and Grant Dorrington both need to take a long walk of a short jetty, they are both Compleat ********* tossers with no idea, It just goes to show how F**ked up the system is where 2 clowns like that can get into the positions they have.

cheers.
Abuse and name calling will only strengthen their positions.
Constant public disputing backed up by proven evidence is the only weapon. The media listen to them because they are forceful and take a position that draws conflict.

If they are constantly shown to be lying or manipulating the facts they present then they will be ignored by both the media and politicians.

Every time any of these idiots get something published in the media and you can prove they are wrong write a letter to the editor or whatever showing this.

Now PROVING WRONG is not just your opinion or what your mates think. If you do that then YOU will be branded the crackpot and only strengthen their position.

Look what appears to be happening in NT.
Definetely 110km/h.
Definitely probably 110km/h
Probably definitely 110km/h
Probably 110km/h
We are looking into it and will publish our findings in the fullness of time.....

Translated... Holy snapping duckshyte, this could get us thrown out of office. Who was the idiot who suggested this? Make it go away without embarressing us.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

the 100k speed limit is a load of crap.
we've had that speed limit for two long. back before the XE :S
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
cupic
Nikon

The polis are here for the money speeding tickets generates
Europe ie germany as being 1 of them does have unrestrictive speed limits but in fair honestly there roads are 1st class and can match the speeds driven.Here in johnnie kingdom the roads are NOT even good enough for someone on training wheels to ride.Take a look at the next time they resurface roads and only last 2 mths before it go to ***** breaking up and being unsafe.
While I do support higher limits,but only on open roads,without there being thousands of speed cameras waiting around corners,making that unsafe as well.
eg Pacific hwy were speeds goes fron 50-60-80-50-60-100-50-40,
come on and camera or should I say multi-cameras are they to cane you at every speed change.

Open road @ least 130km as our counterparts in Texas

cheers

AND HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...2329_1,00.html
Old 15-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Revenue.. the ONLY reason we have such pathetic speed limits.

But it's for our safety, they have our best interests at heart.

:

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #13
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

I have just returned from Italy, and therefor reckon i've got some good input to this argument. The speed limit on the autostrada is..... hang on what speed limit?
You know them Italians are CRAZY! In fact i didnt see one speed limit sign the whole two weeks I was there! And in contrast to Germany most of their roads are just the same if not worse than our pieces of blacktop - so there goes that argument. Now the road toll over there IS bad, however that is why the speed increased to help combat the toll, Im not sure on the per-capita statistic but they also have alot more people travelling on their roads aswell.
The thing I really noticed and wish Aussie drivers would take up, is most of the drivers have a very good situational awareness of what is happening around them and while they may gesticulate and yell obscenities at you the will still move out of your way if you are moving faster than they are.
Though the one that takes the cake and should be taken up everywhere is if vehicles are travelling in the "fast lane" and you want to get past just put your indicator on and THEY will move out of YOUR way, so now you dont have traffic swerving left and right trying to force there way past slower cars.
On a whole the Italians seem to move in concert to other vehicles around them not paying much attention to road rules at all, but more to the situation around them, In turn they pay attention!

After that very long winded and probably not so clear insight on Italian drivers I want to point out, after all that I think our speed limits are redicuously low and most probably contribute to our deathtoll.
Now if only most Italians wernt rude a*seholes I'd probably move there!
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosXR8
Now if only most Italians wernt rude a*seholes I'd probably move there!
This is because you kept to the autostrada middle-lane and not the right:-)

* Where right is referenced as the left lane here in AUS.
Old 16-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Kobayashi

I was in texas at the time they lowered the speed limit in some places. They didnt drop it for safety, the main reason was emissions.

And as most of the main roads in america are at LEAST 2 lanes (when i drove from philly to atlanta, 90% of it was 3 lanes) and the roads are much better quality then our shitty highways (at least here in SA, lol). I definately see more crashes here, then i do there, no matter what the speed.

I just love the states over there where speed cameras are illegal, because of an *invasion of privacy* issues after a senator was caught somewhere where he shouldnt have been with someone not his wife :p
Kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #16
photn
AFF Post NAZI

it feels like we are in school. if we cant stop dying on the road they slow us down. if we behave and stop dying and causeing accidents basically being good. they put them back up......geeessshhhh

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would prefer dropping any speed limit absolutely across Australia outside built up areas and returning to the old 'prima facie' proving you're not driving dangerously over 100kph system. Such a sensible system it was (in conjunction with the speed advisory signs on bends). My reasoning - it gets people to think about what is a safe speed in the circumstances, which is what should govern safe driving.

A good example. I was driving back from the NSW south coast last night in heavy rain and fog and came up the Mt Ousley Rd to Bulli tops where there was an absolutely blind wall of fog. The speed limit was 110 but everybody was down to about 60-70. However this guy in some sort of Toyota ute with a big boat on a trailer (ye gods!) was hurtling into this stuff at about 90-100, still below the posted limit but imagine what would have happened to him and his rig - and some other poor soul - if he came unstuck.

It is this sort of moronic stupidity among Australian drivers (cf. European drivers) that has resulted in imposing of unrealistic speed limits - which then encourage people to drive up to them regardless of the conditions. Delimiting combined with driver eduction might actually take us down a better path.
Old 16-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Great observations New2Ford - I'm going to forward your post onto a local speed manager.

Can you recall the EXACT message showing on the VMS at the time, and if they had chosen to impose a lower speed limit??

How widespread was the fog on the F6, - Bulli only or further north??

Anyhow - this link is one of the new Texas speed limit signs, to US Fed standard, naturally. See also Wikipedia under Speed Limits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:T..._unveiling.JPG

Just a NSW specific note on the application of speed derestriction signs; I had proposed to our Roads Minsiter a few months back adopting a lower rural default, BUT allowing then for use of the (//) sign (and higher posted limits), applicable to a "length of road", AND in accordance with the signs meaning held in the Australian Standard and governing UN Convention.

Ministers office didn't say 'no', and rather asked that I discuss the matter further with a chap I know well.

We must rmember that road agency employees are often on 'performance based contracts'.

Now, I do know RTA would like, or could use the sign again one day. I would suggest on remote roads.

Your application as you highlight, here in NSW, was in effect a "prima facie" 80km/h speed limit. The legal problem arose that if you came under notice for say 'speed dangerous' or other when you chose the free option to exceed this, that you were automatically guilty of the offence. Not compatible with Australia's inherited legal system, and so it had to go.

I was in PNG at the time and so missed this very backward step. Police championed the speed limit default citing an inability to sufficiently control 'speed'.

In any case, another key legal reason was that the sign means in International law, as applied to contracting parties; "END OF ALL LOCAL PROHIBITIONS IMPOSED ON MOVING VEHICLES".

I have a NSW driver manual dated July 1978 showing full derestriction (//) - Prima Facie, and another July 1979 showing it to mean 100km/h. (Unless you appeal to high courts:-)

Last edited by Keepleft; 16-10-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 16-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #19
Disco1986

thats nice, ill try and remember that if im ever over thier
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have to wonder if and when they drop speed limits up north how many more people will die from falling asleep at wheel and coming too greif.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the higher speed limit in day time on decent roads is great, our road makers need to do a better job, you dont realise how really average our roads are until you drive a big high vehicle, sometimes you will find a straight bit of road and the camber will be changing constantly, ( i spose it keeps you on your toes ....or fatigues you), there appears to be no standard radius for the bends on our roads , also there appears to be no standards for lane size either.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #22
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was in Texas in 2004 everyone was doing AT LEAST 80mph on freeways regardless of what they were signposted at. On 65mph zones we were struggling in a Neon, with big duallys roaring past us. The first time we saw a cop car we thought "great this will slow the traffic down" .. but the cop just drove by faster than everyone else. Coming from the "Victoria-the camera state", this is a real culture shock ....

BTW: I'm surprised that they actually raised the limit? The 55mph limit was introduced in the seventies to reduce fuel consumption. I'm surprised with the current situation they aren't back to that??
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:44 AM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Was in Texas two weeks ago and can tell you that the most of the interstates there are 80mph. But, on alot of the state roads and US highways in texas the limit is 85mph. Add to that the texas troopers only really care if you are driving dangerously ie tailgating or undertaking vehicles, you can (and I have) sit on 100mph and they won't bat an eyelid. Just one reason why texas rocks - that, and they play a lot of Larry the cable Guy.

Quote: