Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: should it be compulsary to give more details about yourself
yes 17 42.50%
no 23 57.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default members location under user name

It might just be me but it really annoys me that members locations are not done properly under there name, and i would like to see that it is compulsary that it is filled in as it should. Sometimes i wonder where people live and it is good when you can see under there location where they are from. I think it would save alot of unnecessary posts to as you know where said member is from.There is plenty of room in our user cp to write comments. I also feel that we should be able to find out more about a member by clicking on his username, ie car you drive, your job,age etc etc. I find it really interesting to see where people live and what they do. Any feedback would be great.

Old 15-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Where do I live?

Thats none of your business.

:P

Oo\===/oO
Old 15-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

by this i mean state and town not your street address and phone number
Old 15-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Aeron
DJR Fan

I cant remember what mine says...

EDIT: Ahh, Sydney.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Old 15-10-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Following is some of your points that I have decided to comment on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
i would like to see that it is compulsary that it is filled in as it should. I think it would save alot of unnecessary posts to as you know where said member is from.
What would be your reasons for wanting it compulsory, other than the unnecessary post thing? Saying that it will save unnecessary posts isn't really enough of a reason. Do you mean unnecessary posts in a particular area (i.e. the Sale Yard Section?)? That section states to put your location within the title. Maybe something could be changed there (I am sure that is already being looked at though).
Quote:
I also feel that we should be able to find out more about a member by clicking on his username, ie car you drive, your job,age etc etc.
No way should any member have to state what their age, job or any other personal information publicly if they don't wish to. There is such a thing as protecting privacy. Some members work for the Police or other Government agencies or whatever and they should not feel they have to put their identity out to the public like that.
A lot of members either have their cars as their avatars or a write up within their signature, so no need to put it anywhere else if they don't wish to.

It should be an individual members decision as to how much information they release on a public website (or anywhere for that matter).
Old 15-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
HOON69
Banned

what happens if i dont want you to know where im from whether it be a 1000k radius or a foot in radius its our rights to not tell and shouldnt be compulsary,and if your so keen to know then pm the person/s takes a extra minute of your life.
Old 15-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

If a person chooses not to disclose that information its their choice, its a public forum therefore alot of people will be able to view that information and they might not feel comfortable with that.
Old 15-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #8
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

[QUOTE=fiery]Following is some of your points that I have decided to comment on...
What would be your reasons for wanting it compulsory, other than the unnecessary post thing? Saying that it will save unnecessary posts isn't really enough of a reason. Do you mean unnecessary posts in a particular area (i.e. the Sale Yard Section?)? That section states to put your location within the title. Maybe something could be changed there (I am sure that is already being looked at though).

Yeah maybe some of that other stuff could remain as is your choice.
there is alot of times when people post stuff where location and climate are relevant and also what tuners and performance shops they are near, by looking quickly at a persons location you are able to reply to give more accurate responses and the ever stupid questions of where abouts are you.
Old 15-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah maybe some of that other stuff could remain as is your choice.
there is alot of times when people post stuff where location and climate are relevant and also what tuners and performance shops they are near, by looking quickly at a persons location you are able to reply to give more accurate responses and the ever stupid questions of where abouts are you.
Well quite simply put, that comes down to people using their brain a bit more when posting though really. Simply put, if someone wants help or asks about a particular type car related (or maybe non car related - aka Bar section) business etc, then they need to learn to put 'I am in "insert location here" '

Quite simple really (well, some of us think it is)... maybe your point is valid but I don't feel I need to put any location in as I have QLD in my signature twice

Only my 2cents worth of an opinion though
Old 15-10-2006, 03:36 PM   #10
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

yeah but even QLD is better than nothing, as qld and WA are along way apart. Maybe just what state you are in would be enough. as far as people should learn to put there location in, have you had a look in the for sale section, your lucky to get a location in that.
Old 15-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah but even QLD is better than nothing, as qld and WA are along way apart. Maybe just what state you are in would be enough
Well I guess that isn't too much to ask for..

A State could be something that should be in the location section, but you might upset those that think they have written funny lines in their location area :

But I do stick by my other posts also (talk about confusing myself now.. geez).
People need to put more thoughts into their thread titles and their posts even.

again, just adding another 2 cents to the kitty
Old 15-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #12
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Well I guess that isn't too much to ask for..

A State could be something that should be in the location section, but you might upset those that think they have written funny lines in their location area :

But I do stick by my other posts also (talk about confusing myself now.. geez).
People need to put more thoughts into their thread titles and their posts even.

again, just adding another 2 cents to the kitty
Mate i appreciate your input, just seams funny to me that it says location so it must have been an important subject to the forums management team yet plenty dont seam to respect it, i agree after further thought that your job and other thing can be a sensitive point as some jobs dont have alot to be proud off. The other thing is sometimes you see a location and go wow that bloke lives here with me or in the next town
Old 15-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #13
jaikai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
what happens if i dont want you to know where im from whether it be a 1000k radius or a foot in radius its our rights to not tell and shouldnt be compulsary,and if your so keen to know then pm the person/s takes a extra minute of your life.
About covers it really...this is a public forum, not a loan application. If you want to know more about members, get to know them...use PM, attend meets, etc. I`m a member of a few car clubs/forums and I like the fact that I know many ppl on a more personal, or at least social level.

If I post in a thread about, say, "what seat fits in this car?", why does anyone reading it need to know anything more than my FF identity...it aint Ebay...naturally I`d like to know more about the ppl around me but the internet and forums are`nt the greatestsocial breeding ground, ay.

I do agree with location being mentioned in for sale section though...I think personally it should be in the thread title, as in: "VIC- for sale, blah blah..."
or "NSW- for sale, blah blah..."

end of mindless rant, from JAIKAI, Morwell VIC :
Old 15-10-2006, 03:59 PM   #14
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
If a person chooses not to disclose that information its their choice, its a public forum therefore alot of people will be able to view that information and they might not feel comfortable with that.
Exactly.

It states as "Optional Information", if it annoys you, well that's too bad.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
Old 15-10-2006, 04:03 PM   #15
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

what amazes me is whats the big deal??? are you ashamed of where you live, do you think that by saying where you live that we can track you down!!!, i cant see what all the privacy is, i believe that most of us here share a common interest and have similar interests and are of mostly good character, it might be easy for some of you who live in the big capital cities to meet and have a cruise and get to know others but what about us remote members who dont have this opportunity. Do any of you know of another member in Mackay Nth QLD, because i dont.
Old 15-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #16
XR8GRL