Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: What would be the better option for a Road Trip?
A Campervan 13 28.89%
A Caravan 5 11.11%
My EF Falcon 27 60.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Default Road Trip

Hey guys,

Im thinking of having a road trip at the end of the year, either from Cairns to Brisbane, or a loop from Cairns to Townsville, and then take an inland route out to maybe Mt Isa and back to Cairns. Thing is, Im not sure which option is the best, take a campervan which costs a bloody fortune, a carvan which I don't think will house 4 people (2 blokes, 2 chicks) at all, or just go in the EF andstay at motels and camping sites. I know it's highly unlikely, but if anyone in Cairns has a campervan or caravan they would be willing to hire out, Id love to hear from them.

Would love to hear about other people's Road Trip stories and tips on activities to do or bring?

Old 16-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can afford it....motel it all the way.....saves a lot of hassle.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
If you can afford it....motel it all the way.....saves a lot of hassle.

Totally agree with that suggestion.. the cheaper the motel the nastier it is, but my god you will have some stories to laugh about... Have fun :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Road trip in FNQ in the middle of summer? Definitely the Motel option.
Old 17-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
capriv8

I would Motel it, but maybe look to buy a secondhand campervan (for the right price) do your trip give it a detail and sell it for more than you bought it for. There will always be a good market for clean reliable campervans. Also you really have to like everyones personality on roadtrips because travelling long hours in a confined car or camper can be very trying.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Take lots of snacks, food, sweets, coffee etc...

Maybe a portable tv and definately some cds...

I'd go a campervan, they can be quite dear though...

just my personal preference.

And go a major service before you leave...

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
woodsy109

I'd go motels. You just have to take so much extra gear if you are camping/caravaning. Also depends on how long you are going to take. If you are going for 2 weeks it may cost a fair bit in motels.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Are you on Drugs..... Why the F would you want to go to Mt Isa ( sorry those living there )..... If you make it to Townsville in the unbelievable heat, , you might as well keep going another 370km to Cairns, and then do a trip around the Atherton Tablelands... its worth it !

Also, , stay anywhere, as long as it has Air-Con....

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Are you on Drugs..... Why the F would you want to go to Mt Isa ( sorry those living there )..... If you make it to Townsville in the unbelievable heat, , you might as well keep going another 370km to Cairns, and then do a trip around the Atherton Tablelands... its worth it !

Also, , stay anywhere, as long as it has Air-Con....

AC/DC
I live in Cairns mate! : And Mareeba is my home town, so the Atherton Tablelands don't really do it for me. But yea, Im still trying to figure out why Mount Isa as well. :
Old 18-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF, What else?
I live in Cairns mate! : And Mareeba is my home town, so the Atherton Tablelands don't really do it for me. But yea, Im still trying to figure out why Mount Isa as well. :

Because...its there...can do some mine tours etc...plus some of our great sports ppl have come from there.

On the surface just another mining town.... have a scratch and surprise yourself.

Oh and if you get the chance go to the 'Buffs Club'

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 01:41 AM   #11
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate go Kombi van its awesome be a mad hippy, me and a few friends done it for 1 month its mad as, i will be doing it again in within the next few years with some friends travelling around aus (well thats the dream anyway)
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
davro_xr6
HRN13 (formerly X-Rated)

I say take the EF - you'll enjoy driving your car more than the camper or caravan...
Agree on the taking of lots of snacks... I find beef jerkey goes well and keeps annoying people chewing for a while rather than speaking...
Take PLENTY OF WATER!!
Avoid playing games like eye spy, haven't been that far up on the bruce, but if its anything like the run from say Maryborough to Rocky, then all that you can really see is trees, cows, dead roos, and a long far-king road that just doesn't seem to end...
take plenty of CD's - or if you're blessed with an MP3 player suited head deck, load it up with plenty of cool songs - avoid spice girls at all costs, you're there to enjoy the trip not to get fantasies that mirror Ivan Milatt!!
And make sure you interchange the drivers, that is if you trust the other 3 with your car... A good tip is to take a spare fan belt, coolant and radiator hose and make sure your spare tyre is all good... And Hotel it dude, hotels have beds and air con and someone else does the cooking!!
Upgrades so far... : 2003 BA XT n/a 6 - Lowered 3" - Lovell Lowered Race Springs front & Rear - Pedders Sports Rider Shocks front and Rear - 18" x 8.5" AMG Akuza Mags - Pacemaker Headers - 2.5" Redback exhaust system - High flow cat - cat back - no muffler - Quck shifter kit - Typhoon CAI - custom stereo & boot install - Bonnet decal :
davro_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Take the EF.
There are some good pubs along the way, with well priced accomodation too. So they maybe an option.
Old 20-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
V8R
Turning towards the dark

FNQ in summer? hotels / pubs are the only way! have fun, take pics and post a trip report
V8R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #15
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

pop into emerald on ya way too
wicksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post