Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
crossingover

Default Got Defected Tonight!!!!!

Hi guys on my way home from the roxburgh tavern tonight after dinner there was a booz bus and roadworthy inspections,You should of seen the smile on the coppers face when he saw my car signalled for me to pull in and defected me for 19 inch wheels and ride height.My car is fairly low so it was bound to happen.I need to change my rear springs was hoping someone on the forum would have some stock rear springs or just lows for au live axel also need 2 16 inch stockies with tyres preferably as i already have 2 can anyone help me out im in melb northern suburbs damn im thinking buying 19 inch wheels was a wrong move.The police were also local police from my suburb so im thinking even after putting standard wheels on and clearing defect ill pit 19s back on but these guys might just repeat the defect if they see me driving again.Also ill post in wanted section as well just was hoping by posting here ill get a quicker response.It would be great if someone can help a aff member out not expecting it for free will pay just want to soert this out hopefully by monday so i can clear defect as im currently using car for work :heres some pics of how low it is (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...159#post924159

crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

What reason did they give you fro defecting you for 19" rims? Its not illegal to run them.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

Its not illegal to run 19's, but its illegal to have any modification from stock without an engineers cert.
Its a stupid stupid rule, any changes on the car from factory, by law needs to have a cert and be within legal specifications. Yes even wheels.
Straight from an officers mouth.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

NSW suxs then.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #5
crossingover

yeah cant believe it aswell he wanted to see the tyre placard as i didnt have one coz i just resprayed car.the copper also said any modifications outside manufacturers specs require engineer aproval i was shocked tried everything but looked like i had no hope so as he took his book out?i thought what the heck i took my attitude out and unleashed i was so frustrated guys.He then told me to organise a tow as i cant drive it home 2nite and i said bullshit im driving it home i only had about 2ks to get home and was short on cash so he said ur not driving it and my response was well see! Got the defect jumped in my car took off he didnt chase me but came to my house about 30 minutes later to deliver me a $500 fine for driving an unregistered vehicle,Laughed and walked off
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
crossingover

this happened in melbourne not nsw i used to live in werribee just moved to broady and guys ill tell you the cops here are all over the place at nights i hate it
Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Remember, if the car isn't legal, its not insured either.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:59 PM   #8
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingover
yeah cant believe it aswell he wanted to see the tyre placard as i didnt have one coz i just resprayed car.the copper also said any modifications outside manufacturers specs require engineer aproval i was shocked tried everything but looked like i had no hope so as he took his book out?i thought what the heck i took my attitude out and unleashed i was so frustrated guys.He then told me to organise a tow as i cant drive it home 2nite and i said bullshit im driving it home i only had about 2ks to get home and was short on cash so he said ur not driving it and my response was well see! Got the defect jumped in my car took off he didnt chase me but came to my house about 30 minutes later to deliver me a $500 fine for driving an unregistered vehicle,Laughed and walked off
Thats not good.. Go and get an Engineers Certificate and try to get it back dated to a couple of days before the incident with the police.
Take it to court and fight it..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Its not illegal to run 19's, but its illegal to have any modification from stock without an engineers cert.
Its a stupid stupid rule, any changes on the car from factory, by law needs to have a cert and be within legal specifications. Yes even wheels.
that seems VERY odd to me. Where I am the HWP are tough but fair, but if they really want to get you, they will.My ute is by no means stock but all the mods done to it are fully legit and safe.I've been looked over on the side of the road when I first bought it, and they could see it was fairly well worked, but didnt blink an eyelid.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #10
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
that seems VERY odd to me. Where I am the HWP are tough but fair, but if they really want to get you, they will.My ute is by no means stock but all the mods done to it are fully legit and safe.I've been looked over on the side of the road when I first bought it, and they could see it was fairly well worked, but didnt blink an eyelid.
ANY modification from stock requires by law an engineers certificate, period.
Most coppers dont look twice at most cars with exhausts and mag wheels and things like that...
But then you get the down right pricks that are on powertrips and above everyone that will defect you for not using the stock paper filter.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
eXi7w0unD

all i can say is QLD FTW!
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #12
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most coppers dont look twice at most cars with exhausts and mag wheels and things like that...
But then you get the down right pricks that are on powertrips and above everyone that will defect you for not using the stock paper filter.
That's complete nonsense. Have a look at the Vicroads website.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingover
Hi guys on my way home from the roxburgh tavern tonight after dinner there was a booz bus and roadworthy inspections,You should of seen the smile on the coppers face when he saw my car signalled for me to pull in and defected me for 19 inch wheels and ride height.My car is fairly low so it was bound to happen.I need to change my rear springs was hoping someone on the forum would have some stock rear springs or just lows for au live axel also need 2 16 inch stockies with tyres preferably as i already have 2 can anyone help me out im in melb northern suburbs damn im thinking buying 19 inch wheels was a wrong move.The police were also local police from my suburb so im thinking even after putting standard wheels on and clearing defect ill pit 19s back on but these guys might just repeat the defect if they see me driving again.Also ill post in wanted section as well just was hoping by posting here ill get a quicker response.It would be great if someone can help a aff member out not expecting it for free will pay just want to soert this out hopefully by monday so i can clear defect as im currently using car for work :heres some pics of how low it is (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...159#post924159
Sorry to hear man, but i still dunno how they defected you.

Here is a link to some docs from the NSW RTA website
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...i/vsi_dl1.html

Read the " VSI 09 - Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres (Nov 2003) "

Your wheels seem fine to me, but maybe im missing something :alien2:
Old 10-09-2006, 01:04 AM   #14
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf/rdsafe/VSI%208.pdf
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 AM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
You'd have to have real bad luck in NSW to find a cop that follows the law that badly. I've never had that prob in any of my cars.

I reckon a good percentage of people that get done have been done for attracting attention to themselves (not that I think cops are innocent all the time).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #16
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXi7w0unD
all i can say is QLD FTW!
What he said...
I get pulled over by every booze bus i drive past and i get compliments on my car!
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

saturday night is defect night, that's just the way it is. For some bizarre reason we found ourselves on chapel street prahran tonight in mrsfantz' fiesta. There was a defect patrol set up about half way along the strip.. with two cops standing there looking at the cars driving past, shining torches onto the wheels etc looking for business. Probably find if we did the same thing thursday night it wouldn't be an issue. They just follow their orders.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 AM   #18
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

man that sucks, but i reckon my BA XR is lower than that from the factory, some cops just look for an excuse, btw they can't fine you for unregistered vehicle whilst you have a canary, it stipulates you can drive the car to have the defects repaired and that would include driving back to your house
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #19
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The legalities of tyres in NSW is that you must abide by the rta's rules.They are on the web for all to see but I dont have the site at the moment. The rule is that you can go 2 inches up and 1 inch across over standard. Assumming all other states have the same rules then an au1 really should not go more than 17" and 7.5 inch across.The exception are xr models which cam with wider rims. If you get in trouble ..the tyre placard or handbook can be used as a legal document for standard tyre sizes. My tyre placard doesnt allow me to have the ba xr8 17's I have but the handbook definately specifies an option for 17's .Hence I cover my butt.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...i/vsi_dl1.html

here yas go
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #20
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Angry

But I wont 20's
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #21
justa6
justa6

that sucks it's just a straight nice looking car and they pin you for it.my understanding on wheel's also was 2 inch bigger was legal.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:46 AM   #22
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Driving home and being Smug, Real big no no.

You can probably fight it, but you somewhat got what was coming to you.

As for the business with the wheels, something about that law is scr***d.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:48 AM   #23
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Cant see where it says you need an Eng Cert. Could be arued on that point alone.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #24
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Quote:
If thats the Case , 95% of Victorian Cars are Defective

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #25
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Incorrect. Refer to ADR and comply during the modification process and no engineers is necessary. Your allowed any rim height but the rolling diameter must not change (maybe 10%?) from memory and width (your not allowed to change the track more than 25mm from memory.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #26
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Incorrect. Refer to ADR and comply during the modification process and no engineers is necessary. Your allowed any rim height but the rolling diameter must not change (maybe 10%?) from memory and width (your not allowed to change the track more than 25mm from memory.

Yeah thats what i was told.

Otherwise every car with mags is illegal.
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #27
OldManGhia

My son had a Holden Rodeo ute, lowered with 18" wheels. He was defected because the wheels where to wide and the vehicle was to low and also no door handles & no tyre placard on drivers door. He also got a $120 fine for not having an LPG sticker on his new number plates. He fixed the car and got the necessary engineers certificate. Two weeks later he was done in Qld, he produced the engineers certificate and was told that NSW engineers certificates are not vaild in Qld. He's given up and got rid of the ute.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #28
stiddy
Banned

Im just going by what I was told by a NSW Police Officer..
It may be different between states?
Old 10-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Im just going by what I was told by a NSW Police Officer..
It may be different between states?
quite possibly.. but needing an engineers cert for aftermarket wheels is the biggest load of hooey i've ever heard. I put AU "V8" badges on the EL, but it's not an AU.... i'm done for! Oh crap i just put the AFF sticker on it too.. well, off to the engineers for me!!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #30
stiddy
Banned

LOL!! smartarse..

But I was seriously told, any modification from factory requires an engineers cert. Nothing was mentioned about compliance with ADR's either.
I just assumed he knew what he was talking about.