Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Ebay - don't buy from......

Im currently going through a bit of an ordeal with an Ebay online seller - they call themselves "Custom Stickers" and commonly advertise a Tickford wings logo vinyl sticker which comes up when you do a search for Tickford items.

I emailed them around 2 weeks ago and got a quote on a custom design of it for my ute, we agreed on the price and I deposited the sum directly into their bank account. Still got the receipt of the transfer and all the emails.

1 week later, it hasnt turned up and I dont expect it to ever turn up now. Reason being that the day I deposited the money they said it would turn up in 1-2 days as it was being posted by Express Post. I've now emailed them 3 times wanting to know where my item is, and got no reply. I'm in the process of trying to track these people down - its not a huge amount of money, but its still theft.

Aside from contacting Ebay, there isnt much I can do about it, and Im prepared to accept that and put it down as yet another reason to be very careful about what I buy on Ebay - ive only ever bought 2 items and bidded on 2 more. Just wanted to bring attention to these people and save other members from losing out.

Note: if the deal goes through and I do receive my item, I will remove this thread.

Old 26-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's possibly a case of they think people won't worry if it's a small amount or it could be the vinyl they need for your sticker isn't in stock and the hold up is out of their hands. Very hard to tell without the full picture.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've put $ into peoples account and they dragged their heels sending what I paid for. Just happy I got it in the end.

Best way to stop this happening is COD. Costs more but it's insurance sort of. They could send you anything COD really. Aus Post won't let you open the package till you pay :(

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Only deal with people with a good score, what was this sellers score?
I purchased a camera of eBay it came yesterday it had 2 very small scratches on it.
this morning I emailed the seller they offered me my money back or $40 back if i keep the camera....
I love eBay just beware who you deal with and don't buy used electronics such as amps, speakers etc:

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

What did Ebay have to say and was this an Australian company?

I've only bought a dozen or so things on Ebay and never had a problem, I must be one of the lucky ones.
Old 26-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Here's a link to an item of theirs:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tickford-Deca...QQcmdZViewItem

I should make it clear though that the transaction was not done directly through Ebay - I contacted them via Ebay but deposited money in their account as per the arrangement we came to.
Old 26-08-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

: I live in the suburb next to Quakers Hill....
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

From all accounts they should have been good. 99.3% positive and been going for 18mths!
Old 26-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

I should make it clear though that the transaction was not done directly through Ebay - I contacted them via Ebay but deposited money in their account as per the arrangement we came to.
they were a very good eBay seller but did you see now it says ''No longer a registered user''
Send a MSG to eBay find out what the go is, sometimes they suspend accounts then bring them back.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah i did see that Mark, I also saw that someone else has left negative feedback and said their item was never received.
Old 26-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #10
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebay has been getting some very bad press lately both here and in the USA for the very same reasons that you are having trouble.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 12:14 AM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Him not being a registed user anymore probably more has to do with him making money off other people's trademarks (ie Tickford) rather than the fact he's a possible bad seller.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #12
Aeron
DJR Fan

If you still want a custom sticker done, I had a guy in QLD make some for me. I found him on ebay. I told him what i was after and he made it and it looked fantastic and he was fast. He also has paypal so its easy to pay.

Here is his info:

Name: Thorsten Schaumann
Email: predator.graphix@tpg.com.au

It doesnt get your money back but I hope it helps.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #13
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Yeah i did see that Mark, I also saw that someone else has left negative feedback and said their item was never received.
always deposit through EBAY . or COD .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
feebs
BrwnBstd

Ebay suck... dont know if anyone heard about Apphia Australia..

They sell for a while on EBAY to build up a rep..

Then they list hundreds (thousands) of items on ebay in one hit, suckers from all over the country (Yes I was one) put money into their bank account.

Then they don't deliver. When poeple start posting negatives they hide their feedback take in more money.

Ebay will then suspend them due to complaints, they then take EBAY to court and get an order to reinstate them as a seller for a fews days, and also to prevent EBAY from posting or EVEN ALLOWING any bad publicity.

EBAY then get a court order to override the previous one, by that stage the seller has run with the doe, and fold their shelf company that was started for the purpose.

The last time they performed their tricks they apparently got around 100,000 grand, and then they get on bulletin boards and boast about it.

F(*&(&*(&s!

If you can't see a public face to the company you are buying off, then be very careful!
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 12:39 AM   #15
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I think you will find that it is against ebay policy to offer to sell (or buy) an item outside of ebay, hence ebay will not help you when it comes to this sort of deal.

Your best bet is Dept. of Fair Trading.

What you do if you are in this situation again (buying custom or a different part etc that the seller hasn't yet offered) request that your custom item or other part is put as a buy it now item, for which you keep an eye out for and buy straight away.

I've done this a few times without hassle.

I have made over 2 dozen purchases on ebay and the missus' made about 5, I haven't had any problems but the missus has a unresolved dispute, her first purchase, which the seller will not respond and item has not been received.

The user unfortunatly is a power seller with over 15000 positive feedback, however the last 30 or so feedbacks are negative, which my wife didn't read...

Its only $7 but if this person did this to 1000 ppl thats $7000 they've got for very little work.

Its a case of 'buyer beware'.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 02:12 AM   #16
rodderz

While you can still get some good bargains off ebay, lots of things now are becoming more expensive than going to the shops and buying it, with less of the stuff around. There's that much rubbish they are selling now (new items) it's like going down to the local rip-off import market

It's great for stuff like books and car parts though most of the time
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 02:21 AM   #17
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive never been burnt buy ebay my old man has a couple of times though. The only time i have been screwed is selling a steering wheel to a member here (who i wont name atm) and i never recieved the cash, my stupid fault for sending in good faith though i guess
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to hear that man...ive dealt with custom stickers before and well i can say now they didnt give the best service but i eventually got it...they are also not registered so theres almost no way of getting it unless someone on this forum know where they are and go visit them..hint hint (dont use violence though)

hope they have still sent your item... just now youve got no way of knowing so just wait it out about a week or so...then file some action

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #19
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

my ebay experiances have been ok not had much trouble with buying but ive sold about 10 items and 2 buyers have been non payers the *******. stick to reputable sellers and you can never hassle them too much. try and get a phone number too.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #20
HOON69
Banned

sold my bike on ebay only to wait 2 weeks for a "sorry my husband doesnt want it now"

also the countless little amounts we've lost comes to a couple of hundred easily,its ebay
some are legit and great sellers/buyers
and others are just low pettiful SOB's.

was the item listed on ebay?

if so you have a claim

if not it isnt a ebay problem unless sold via ebay
if its a private sale then its between you and the ebay user.

good luck
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Ebay was ok... 12 months ago. Seems to have gone downhill of late.
Old 27-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #22
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have been using Ebay for a few years now and have only had one bad experience selling an engine trans. Bloke won the auction then no contact even after multiple emails even told him no drama if youve changed your mind just let me know. Still nothing so put in NPB to Ebay, he then finally made contact said he`d changed his mind. I filed feedback just stating negative with what had happened. Cpl of days later he left neg feedback saying dont buy of me sells dodgy items? Had to get a stat dec filled out and send to Ebay then phonecalls etc to get that feedback removed. Never been ripped off by any sellers, have bought three items from USA Ebay and all good so far.
Old 27-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
HOON69
Banned

gotta love when the bumholes whom do you wrong try to leave negative on your account even though they re-nigged on the sale.

i had to retract my feedback just to get her to withdraw hers so i could keep 100% positive,(lost 50bucks on that B#tch)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #24
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

retaliatory negative feedback sucks bigtime.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If the transaction wasn't done directly through Ebay, then I believe that is a breach of Ebay's conditions.
Although the seller seems to be a steaming pile of poo, you should NEVER go indirect. For that, Ebay owes you nothing as the transaction was not done through a proper transaction.

I've gone through Ebay dealers outside of Ebay and what I thought was a great deal at the time, in hindsight probably wasn't the case.
Depends on the dealer.

There's a lesson here.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

I guess its fair enough to say that I should have gone through EBay etc, but at the same time, all I want is what I paid for, or my money back. Regardless of what medium I used to buy it, its still theft and shouldnt happen.

As it turns out, I'll just go to a signwriters tomorrow and get it made up on the spot. If the Ebay one ever turns up I'll find a use for it, but I highly doubt it will.
Old 27-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Aust, if you want the name of a good, and not expensive, signwriter here in town give me a call on my home number.

He's an old bloke (like me) and a real Ford nutter.

He made up a very official looking '220 speed limited' sign for my last car

Come to think of it he might be interested in a sponsers role for the AFF day!
Old 27-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

It's not Des Gibbs is it? I know he used to have a run in the Mustangs.....

I use Signsplus, so I'll go and see them tomorrow but depending on how busy they are, I might be interested.

Give me your auto shifter button. :Reverend:
Old 27-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #29
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Yep Des is the man. I'd take your 'Bundy' ute to show him anyway.

Get nicked, the shifter button stays in the barge!
Old 27-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #30
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate if it doesent turn up ebay is pretty good about getting your money back, an ******** has screwed me over before and through the ebay connections ebay did get my money back. Hope it all goes well
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post