Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you use you're parents to get a powerful car?
No, it's irresponable for a parent to do so 35 22.29%
No, unexperienced drivers should drive appropriate cars 44 28.03%
No, it's far too dangerous 5 3.18%
Yes, I should be able to drive any car I want 73 46.50%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-03-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Cars put in parent's name

Hi I was wondering what everyone's take is on signing a car in your parents name so you can drive high powered car at a young age... :

Last edited by Franky; 27-03-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #2
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
Hi I was wondering what everyone's take is on signing a car in your parents name so you can drive high powered car at a young age... :
If you're referring to beating the power/weight restriction on Vic P platers, then those rules are in place for a reason. If you get pulled up, it won't matter if you "own" it or not, it would still be illegal. If you're considering it to be able to afford insurance on the car because insurance companies like milking younger drivers dry if it has any perceived hint of performance or higher theft rate, then that is OK.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
Franky
Bring back the Phase

If you have you're P plates in Victoria you can legally drive you're parents car if you don't have one yourself can you not?

If you parents own a high powered car then you have no choice...
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Hi I was wondering what everyone's take is on signing a car in your parents name so you can drive high powered car at a young age...

Talking from an insurance perspective, if they find out its your car when its insured in your parents(or someone else's name for that matter), you're giving an insurance company free reign to cancel your policy due to misrepresentation.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #5
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

you are correct if it is the ONLY family car,
but if mum has a 4cyl FWD and drives it to work but dad has a high powered car of some description and you drive it to the shops and get pulled over legally you can get done for it.
Old 27-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I might add if you're going to drive responsibly then you should be able to drive whatever you want.

If you care about your car you prob wouldn't want to take it into a pole at the first opportunity.

Old 27-03-2005, 02:17 AM   #7
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
If you're referring to beating the power/weight restriction on Vic P platers, then those rules are in place for a reason. If you get pulled up, it won't matter if you "own" it or not, it would still be illegal. If you're considering it to be able to afford insurance on the car because insurance companies like milking younger drivers dry if it has any perceived hint of performance or higher theft rate, then that is OK.
Whats the reason for banning P platers from 6 cylinder BA falcons, I really hope to find out one day.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 02:41 AM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
If you have you're P plates in Victoria you can legally drive you're parents car if you don't have one yourself can you not?

Get this you can only drive any car on your L plates, they say while you are under the supervision of a full licence holder it should be safe...
Once you have your P plates the Law changes to power to weight ratios, some funny system like that..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 04:12 AM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Get this you can only drive any car on your L plates, they say while you are under the supervision of a full licence holder it should be safe...
Yeah coz unless you have hoon parents (Mr and Mrs Myers lol j/k) then you're probably driving like you should and not like you stole it.

Old 27-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't matter if it's the only family car or not, you have to abide by the power to weight restrictions.
There are a few exceptions but you have to apply for them .. they aren't just automatic.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My old car was in my father's name, as he already had a NCB, and multiple policy discounts.
When I got the XR6, only 1 place would touch it if I drove it, and the company I went with would only insure it if I was the registered owner.
The companies get around it by using the youngest listed driver for the premium anyway, and they usually make it more expensive, to encourage people to be honest about who's car it really is.
But I will tell you it was horribly depressing to have my dream car sitting locked up and unused for 3 weeks, while I rang around looking for insurance. :(
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I did this with my frist car for the frist year. It was put in my parents name & the insurance so i got a 60% ncb straight up. It was cheaper to do this way, than the following year it was just my name on the car still with 60% ncb. Was a lot of my mate were unhappy that my parent did this & they had to start from sratch with insurance.
Old 27-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

I do this, my current car is in Dad's name and the next one will be too. I dont do it so i can drive a better car, i do it cos i refuse to pay the stupid amounts of money it would cost me to do it in my name.
Old 27-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
I did this with my frist car for the frist year. It was put in my parents name & the insurance so i got a 60% ncb straight up. It was cheaper to do this way, than the following year it was just my name on the car still with 60% ncb. Was a lot of my mate were unhappy that my parent did this & they had to start from sratch with insurance.
When I changed to my current insurer my Dad rang up and asked if he could get a certificate stating the I had been on his insurance for 4 years and never made a claim, and what kind of NCB they would have been willing to give me had I been able to insure with them.
I sent that on to the new insurer, and they started me on that.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'll always have the car in my name and will never let any potential offspring (scary huh?) get it under my name.

You want the car? Pay for it out of your own pocket.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #16
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I'll always have the car in my name and will never let any potential offspring (scary huh?) get it under my name.

I agree, my thoughts entirely Psycho Chicken!!
Old 27-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:

Gonna make me?! : py:
Old 27-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #18
FreezeR

My car is in my name, but insurance is under my dads name with me as promary driver... im pretty happy with that. When i turn 21 (on thursday ) ill see how much it will cost me to insure under my name though...
FreezeR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #19
FordGirl
The Goodz' PR Manager

My car and my insurance is all under my name, I seriously contemplated putting it under Mum's name. Most people will let you say someone else was driving if you have a car accident, but I decided it was safer to not work on what "most people" would do.

Insurace costs me an absolute fortune, but atleast I know I'm fully covered regardless.
Old 27-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:

My car isn't in my name, but I pay for it anyway. Two sides to the coin buddy.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 09:23 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

yep, thats how mine is setup too.
Old 27-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #22
FordFan86
meow

From insurance point of view, i had to get my car in my parents name, tho it isn't exactly a "high powered car" it was the only way i could get it. But from the vic laws, this should not be used as a way to get into a hi-po car...
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #23
Simmo
White Lightning

yeh my xr6 is under the rents name and im the 3 times a week driver :P. lowest quote was like 1400 a year and i wasnt gonna cop that. thing is even though im only paying 600 PA now the excess is 1400 so im careful some of the time.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #24
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
My car isn't in my name, but I pay for it anyway. Two sides to the coin buddy.
I realise that, but if you want a car you should be paying the costs that come with it, not finding shortcuts. You realise it affects insurance prices as a whole?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #25
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

But I am paying the costs, its just that my costs are a damn sight cheaper by finding said shortcuts.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #26
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Yeah, you are paying the costs. And you are missing his point. Your paying cheaper costs than you should be and thus are able to afford a car you wouldnt have been able to. Hence you are not paying for the car as you should be.

Also, this affects insurance premiums as a whole as for everybody doing this getting cheaper insurance there will be a certain percentage that have to claim and this drives up insurance premiums. Sure, you would still claim if you insured in your name but you would have higher premiums and higher excesses to pay lowering the amount the insurer loses.

Insurance companies to get around this should find out the youngest age of the insured driver for that vehicle and charge as if that driver is driving it all the time.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #27
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Plus...

What happens with stamp duty. You buy a car and put it in your parents name and pay the stamp duty. When your finally ready to be independant and accept the costs associated with owning a car you will have to transfer the car back into your name and pay stamp duty again.

You should not be able to insure a car that is not in your name. Period. I would have thought this was already the case but freezer's case shows otherwise.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 28-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #28
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've learnt how to drive in my dads XR6 Turbo from day 1. I don't see what the big deal is, its a good car to learn in. Its mad for overtaking :
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #29
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

The funny thing about it is that a Learner can drive a GT for example but when he or she get their licence then they can't and are restricted to the less powerful cars.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #30
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Well, thats definately a contradiction. But I think the point with that is you learn to drive whilst supervised and in your parents car (most times). "IF" your parents dont own a low powered car they should not have to buy a car just for their kids to learn in. So whilst on their L's they can learn in their parents car, but once they get their licence they should get their own car.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.