Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #1
Rapid_Attack
Meh.

Default New Ford V6 - Maybe for Falcon?

What do you think??

http://www.thefusionsource.com/index..._articleid=159

Rapid_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Government recently gave them a grant for future upgrading of the 4.0, so theres no plans to replace it I imagine
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
The 3.5-liter V-6 combines with the first Ford-built 6-speed front-wheel-drive transmission to deliver up to a 7 percent fuel economy improvement on the highway compared to a typical 4-speed automatic.
The falcon will never be front wheel drive.
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6corp
The falcon will never be front wheel drive.
that's one thing we can thank the general for, if it weren't for Holden, i'd say the Falcon would be front wheel drive right now. But thanks to the 2 big brands there is still a healthy market for RWD aussie sedans.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Not only would a FWF falcon be the Sales success of a lead baloon a v 6 would do the same.

It's greatest strengths are it's low down torque and not having to rely on low gearing to get it off the line

V6 yer put in in a FWD but never in our Falcons
Old 22-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Not gonna happen, and if it did, would never purchase one
Old 22-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I wouldn't doubt that we will see it before the end of the decade, however not in FWD form.

As the Falcon 4.0l is also in the Territory it would be plausible to do the development they have done and keep it for the Terry, whilst putting a smaller capacity, more compact V6, into the Falcon to reduce overhang and weight on the front end.
This would mean Ford could be more flexible with its front end design and possible to shorten it, euro style.

Just a thought....Flame away!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

a ford wouldnt be a ford without the I6 in RWD. A change to v6 you could appreciate happening (and would prob anger many people!) but fwd i would be very suprised at. I dare say if Holden kept the rwd format and ford went fwd, you would all be converts. I can see you all cursing right now at the thought heehee.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
a ford wouldnt be a ford without the I6 in RWD. A change to v6 you could appreciate happening (and would prob anger many people!) but fwd i would be very suprised at. I dare say if Holden kept the rwd format and ford went fwd, you would all be converts. I can see you all cursing right now at the thought heehee.

We wouldnt convert, we'd just keep the cars we have now ;)
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
Old 22-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #10
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought too.

The I6 has been around, for what, 46 years?????

Nah sorry, but it wouldn't seem right for Ford to ditch the trusty 4.0L I6, for a V6.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Yeah that's what I thought too.

The I6 has been around, for what, 46 years?????

Nah sorry, but it wouldn't seem right for Ford to ditch the trusty 4.0L I6, for a V6.

Holden used theur straight six for 37 yrs and Nissan's for 3, a total of 40yrs but they still changed to V6 and it didn't hurt their sales!
Old 22-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Not for at least another 10-15 years at the earliest. Thats if Ford still make cars here. Fords V6's make crap torque anyway, just like Holdens V6.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If Ford went either
1. FWD
2. V6
3. Imported Falcon

I would buy the last Australian RWD I6 Ford and keep rebuilding the engine. These factors are why I like the car so much.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 02:46 AM   #14
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
If Ford went either
1. FWD
2. V6
3. Imported Falcon

I would buy the last Australian RWD I6 Ford and keep rebuilding the engine. These factors are why I like the car so much.
Wanna see a Falcon hold its value? Thats what would happen :lookedat:
Old 23-08-2006, 03:15 AM   #15
Ford_To_Holden

Offer this to buyers. Front wheel drive I6 or V6 engine with Rear wheel drive ?. The au didn't kill ford and i almost did when they made it.
Old 23-08-2006, 04:50 AM   #16
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Government recently gave them a grant for future upgrading of the 4.0, so theres no plans to replace it I imagine
Ford will be using the current I6 engine for sometime yet.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #17
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

If ford changed to diffrent type of engine it would have to improve on the numbers of the current I6..

I don't know too many ford V6's that put out 400Nm @ 2500 rpm and above 200Kw @ 5250 rpm.

The falcon six is what makes the falcon so great. It has more torque than any competitor, equal grunty power, best in class fuel economy and it sounds alright and has so much potential.

I think we will see a CGI version of the Falcon six. With most likely direct injection will appear on some models during the new orion platform lifetime.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you mean a "Falcon" would not be a "Falcon" without the I6 in RWD.

As you know, V6 engines with RWD is not new to Ford. The V6 also has its good points too. It is easier to distribute drive train weight away from the front, and they chew up less Cyl heads because of their overall shorter length. My mate had an EL that went through 3 Cyl heads in 5 years.

If you look at the sales of all 6's powering family sedans in Australia, the i6 is in the minority. The only thing IMHO holding back good power is cubes. Imagine if the 190kw was released as a 4 litre and not a 3.6

Have you driven a Magna 3.5? These things really fly from stock. Imagine if these came out as a 4 litre as well. I have not driven a 380 yet to compare.

You are right about RWD though, it would be corporate suicide to put another large FWD car onto the market. This would be the end of Ford or Holden if they went that way.

It will probably be the end of Mitsubishi in Australia, as they had two choices for the 380, downsize it back to a late 80's or early 90's "midsize car" or go with the 380 as a RWD car from the beginning.

The Orion will face the same challengers by then as well.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_To_Holden
Offer this to buyers. Front wheel drive I6 or V6 engine with Rear wheel drive ?. The au didn't kill ford and i almost did when they made it.
FWD I6?!?!?! Bwhahahaha - how wide would the car be! lol.

Changing from and I6 to a V6 didn't hurt Holden because their I6 engines were going nowhere fast.

Why would the Falcon change to FWD? The rest of the small range is already FWD (Focus, Festiva, etc...). Plus, making it FWD means the Falcon would loose the good towing power it has...

This new V6 engine is 197Kw. The current I6 engine is 190kw. Why swap engines when they make the same power? To use this engine, just to redesign the front (and engine bay, gearbox bell housing, etc) would be like a $1b job on its own (R&D, etc....). The new Orion I6 will easily be able to achieve in excess of 200kw anyway....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

People have been predicting the end of the I6 Falcon since the 60's. If Ford Aus have any sense they will hang on to what they have. The V6 markets are calling out for our engine, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
FWD I6?!?!?! Bwhahahaha - how wide would the car be! lol....
No wider than it is now.

You do realise that the Ford group of companies have a new I6 that's only 25" (63.5cm) long that is to be used in FWD E-W configurations don't you? Developed by Volvo and planned for use by Jag also.

It's already been discussed here; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=50406
Old 23-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cool info Raptor...

Nah - I meant using the current I6. They would have no reason to use a new I6 engine, new FWD gearbox, new front end of the car, and still call it a falcon... Not to mention the redesigning of the rear of the car, because no RWD components would be there anymore... it would be a whole new car, and not even a Falcon... it would really be a I6/V6 focus...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #22
I6corp
Was V6corp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
People have been predicting the end of the I6 Falcon since the 60's. If Ford Aus have any sense they will hang on to what they have. The V6 markets are calling out for our engine, not the other way around.

No wider than it is now.

You do realise that the Ford group of companies have a new I6 that's only 25" (63.5cm) long that is to be used in FWD E-W configurations don't you? Developed by Volvo and planned for use by Jag also.
I think he ment, to be able to make the same torque.
Old 23-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #23
WOTDAH
Yes YOU

What we will be seeing next from ford is an AWD Falcon. They built a prototype AWD RTV ute a year or so ago. A territory drive train fits into a falcon, why wouldn't they do it. Also keep your eys peeled for several diesel territory's driving around.
WOTDAH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ford already have a 4.0l V6, it powers the Explorer.
I guess thay dont use it in our cars here cos it is a piece of crap.
I dont think Ford will ever offer FWD with either form of 6cyl, but i think it is possible with the way fuel is going, to do research into smaller capacity, lighter engines with the same out put as the current i6.
How much more power does a standard Falcon need anyway, taking off your enthusiasts hat.
The majority of people who buy them are seeking comfort and build quality, not 200+kw with a baby capsule in the back.

Leave the big output motors for the XR/FPV cars
The reason the VN was slowed down with the use of intake reducers was because of the power under foot.
Ok in a hoons hands but not practicle for an old man.
Old 23-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holdens V6 was designed for FWD and converted to RWD, Ford could do the same thing. OR lop 2 cylinders of a V8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #26
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
FWD I6?!?!?! Bwhahahaha - how wide would the car be! lol.
Don't laugh, the Daewoo Tosca to be introduced over here as the replacement for the holden vectra is a FWD with a 2.0 and 2.5 Inline six, and they sound very nice too.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post