Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Cannonballers back in town

Looks like the boys in their high speed toys are back for a squirt. Two prestige car transporters parked at the crown plaza this morning and a lambo and ferrari in the car park....... Its these turkeys that will get speed limits introduced onto NT country roads......

Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

All I'm hearing is "Wah wah wah, I don't have a fast enough car"
Old 19-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
All I'm hearing is "Wah wah wah, I don't have a fast enough car"
Not so Gamma. If I really wanted a car as fast as these things, I could sell off an asset to free up the funds to buy one. This "run" has already claimed 3 lives.
Most of these guys (all bar one) fly in from interstate and "compete". We have to live here and enjoy the privilege of cruising on the highway without constatly looking over our shoulders for revenue raisers. It is these blow ins that will ruin it for the people that live here, and yourself if you ever happen to visit.
Old 19-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

if you cant beat them join them

by the way id love to live on a stretch of road with ferraris tearing down lol

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
if you cant beat them join them

I've driven too many kilometres on these roads, I know the risks involved with high speed travel, speed limit or no speed limit. Thess guys push the limit. And like has been said in this forum many times, just cause they can afford them, does'nt mean they can drive them. If they want to go fast they should rent calder raceway or some other place and do it legally/safely.

Cheers.
Old 19-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I think I know where these guys might head, it will probably be tomorrow. I have the day off so I will head there with a video camera. If I can get some vid I will post it. You will see dangerous these guys are.
Old 19-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
nitroman
nitroman

They remind me of those 2 japs that had the F40 in the cannonball. I think Allan Moffat said something like" We've got a fast Ferrari here, but it needs a fast Ferrari driver". Then of course they stupidly crashed going into a checkpoint and stuffed the event for everybody forever.
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroman
They remind me of those 2 japs that had the F40 in the cannonball. I think Allan Moffat said something like" We've got a fast Ferrari here, but it needs a fast Ferrari driver". Then of course they stupidly crashed going into a checkpoint and stuffed the event for everybody forever.
That is correct, 3 ended up dieing. There is a canonball memorial on the side of the highway where it happened. The driver came from Japan I think, definately not familiar with outback Oz driving conditions.
Old 19-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Money buys cars not driver ability unfortunately.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #10
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could someone shed some light on what was the cannonball as i was a bit younger in those days and can't remmember what it was exactly i remmember seeing the images of the wrecked f40 on the news.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #11
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Got the video yet???
Old 20-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #12
XRated
Shoot.

I want some vids/pics! Does anyone know the route? I wouldn't mind seeing them buzz past :P

I'm also wondering, if someone had racing skills nothing short of Mark Webber's - would it be fine for them to throw their $600k exotic around public roads?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
many, many moons ago i lived in tasmania, parents had a big house, BIG garage attatched to the house, 5 acres of riverfront land, yadda yadda yadda......

anyway, mum decided she didnt like it there, didnt like dad, etc, and things went to ****, ending up in a messy divorce that ended with her moving to melbourne and dad having to sell the house.....

14 years down the track, i'm looking at the targa tasmania course map, and one of the competitive stages goes right past the house.......

and people wonder why i hate my mum........
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #14
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Actualy, Alan Moffats words were....

..."Being a Ferrari owner does NOT make you a Ferrrari driver"

So true.
Old 20-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
That is correct, 3 ended up dieing. There is a canonball memorial on the side of the highway where it happened. The driver came from Japan I think, definately not familiar with outback Oz driving conditions.
His car had I recall entered 'at speed' what was a length of road that had earlier been resurfaced, as such small pebbles were still on the road surface, this didn't help traction, and placement of the marshalls vehicle near a curve didn't help.

I am uncomfortable with such events and hope the organisers are fully prepared with rules. Those involved *must* take all care.

I recall when dealing with a Montana DOT chap in its days of no daytime speed limit; the DOT chap mentioned that 'The Mercedes Club of America' would organise 'events' for out of state members who'd basically drive up to Helena Montana for a meet and 'road experience'. "Montanabahn's" they called them. He held similar concern as such meets, but suggested such folk might contribute to state income by way of the tourist dollar regardless.

Anyhow, NT has a recognised problem with its road toll in part from international tourists who are not familiar with the long distances we drive in Australia, the road network quality, nor of the wildlife here, and of the pedestrian activitiy that takes place in part by native populations and the result this can all have on safety.

Some tourist types expect German style road building. It is far more Isle of Mann.

NT government can introduce a rural default speed limit, it would then apply to all rural NT roads NOT bearing a speed derestriction sign at its start point.

Once a rural default is enacted in NT law - to actually enable this new rural default speed limit to say the Stuart Hwy, the derestriction signs would need to be physically removed, the rural default would then apply 'automatically' to that length of road.

I see NO reason in road safety terms at this stage to remove speed derestriction signs from key NT highways, but could live with a 90 - 120km/h rural default whilst keeping derestriction on some lengths.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 20-08-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #16
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Ah, the good ole' cannonballers, if i had the money i would be entering the gumball every year in something different, screw the off the shelf lambos and ferraris, ill build somthing, or mod somthing to a stupid extent. Every body has their toys, and every body enjoys them in their own way, as the saying goes, boys will be boys.

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
His car had I recall entered 'at speed' what was a length of road that had earlier been resurfaced, as such small pebbles were still on the road surface, this didn't help traction, and placement of the marshalls vehicle near a curve didn't help.
The fact that the guy was running at high speed in effectively a transport stage wasn't the fault of the organisers. the original Cannonball run was a well organised event that was ruined by windowlicker in ferrari breaking the rules of the event.
Old 20-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

just got back from a drive down the highway to see if I could find out where they headed off to. No sign of them. I went south, they might have gone north. But just for the fun of it I went down to the cannonball memorial. I took some photo's if anybody is interested. There is only one plaque left. It is in Japanese. The English one was stolen. It is amazing how low some people will stoop.
The photo I labeled death rise is the hill where the car got air borne. The monument is approx where the "official" was sitting. behind where the photo was taken is a very slight curve.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nBallMemorial/

I took a quick video of the cruise back to Alice. NOT 56K freindly.

Cheers all.

Last edited by Outbackjack; 20-08-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 20-08-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
The fact that the guy was running at high speed in effectively a transport stage wasn't the fault of the organisers. the original Cannonball run was a well organised event that was ruined by windowlicker in ferrari breaking the rules of the event.
Exactly. There was no need for him to be driving at that speed and other road users i.e. organisers, were not expecting it. A restricied speed limit will no doubt be arriving soon with the NT road toll in the news only a few months ago. Compared to the rest of Oz it was unbelievable! Especially considering not that many people live in NT compared to the rest of Australia. Main causes given were speed and alcohol.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #20
Scott

I wonder how many Cannonballer's are cruising along at 160km/hr holding a handycam on the speedo?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #21
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Exactly. There was no need for him to be driving at that speed and other road users i.e. organisers, were not expecting it. A restricied speed limit will no doubt be arriving soon with the NT road toll in the news only a few months ago. Compared to the rest of Oz it was unbelievable! Especially considering not that many people live in NT compared to the rest of Australia. Main causes given were speed and alcohol.
You have to look at the individual accidents before making up your mind that the NT is going to get its "open roads" taken away. If you are going to compare an accident where a drunk aboriginal is driving a car that is un road worthy, un registered and the driver is un licenced, is somewhere in the outback miles from main highways, and is on a dirt road where 100k is more dangerous than 160K on the highway, then you are going to get it all wrong. The vast number of fatalities are not too unlike what I have just said. Some times there have been 9 or 10 people in a 5 seat car. When a car like this rolls over a few times you can imagine the carnage. This begs the question, how is imposing a speed limit on the main bitumen highways going to prevent this kind of accident?? What is crazy is that some of the gravel highways out here also have an open limit, eg, the plenty highway. 800klms of corrugations and only passable by 2 wheel drive low clearance vehicles about 6 months of the year. I would totally support a limit on this road and roads like it.

And maybe some one can tell me which official motoring body sanctioned the cannonball event? As far as I knew it was just a bunch of guys getting together and taking advantage of the open limits out here.
Old 20-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #22
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
I wonder how many Cannonballer's are cruising along at 160km/hr holding a handycam on the speedo?
What I did was totally safe. The camera was small light and I never at any time took my left hand off the wheel. The cruise control looked after the throttle and my right foot was a millimeter from the brake pedal. And the cannon ballers are known to have done this at 260k. I picked my section of road using local knowledge and I had just driven it in the opposite direction a few minutes before. My main gripe with the cannon ballers is that they little or no experince out here. And probably have never criused at high speeds more more than a few minutes at a time. Any car is only as good as the person driving it.
Old 20-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #23
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Here is one i took in June 2005, when i drove up for the Finke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img014.jpg (38.0 KB, 198 views)
Old 20-08-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

What good timing. These two sad deaths will go onto the NT's road toll and neither of them attributed to open speed limits. One of the things out here at night that really scares me is the dangers of running over someone sleeping on the road. Dont laugh it happens too often. Also people sleeping on the train tracks. Frightening......

TWO people have died in separate car accidents in central Australia.

A 36-year-old man died after being hit by a station wagon as he lay on the side of the road in Alice Springs about 8pm (ACST) yesterday.

The 47-year-old driver told police he failed to see the man, who later died as a result of his injuries.

In a second incident, a man died after he was thrown from a car that rolled on a dirt road about 100km east of Kintore.

The car's four other occupants suffered minor injuries in the accident, which occurred on Saturday night.
Old 20-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #25
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Here is one i took in June 2005, when i drove up for the Finke
Given another 2 cylinders, about 20km more road and some form of downforce, I'm sure my Triton could have eclipsed that... :

wahhh... How do I post a thumbnail... that's gonna be messy for dial-up users...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #26
Gammaboy

Quote:
Also people sleeping on the train tracks. Frightening......
Darwin lives!
Old 21-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #27
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outbackjack....it was 4 ppl killed...CAMS were involved (not sure as to how much) and the NT govt under Marshal Perron at the time(who is a car enthusist)sp.

I was an official at the next checkpoint and was given the job of advising all the competitors of the tragedy and that the rest of the day was cancelled.

Long story cut short I ended up in the Darwin Federal Court giving evidence for the widow of one of the officials in her compo claim.

The gravel bit was an extra bit done by the NT govt for the checkpoints all along the route,so as to get them off the road.

At a checkpoint I was at at Aileron we had several cars slide thru on the gravel,including an Masserati who ripped out his brake ducting.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #28
Scott

Quote:
What I did was totally safe.
Just a stir, it was an easy cherry to pick.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #29
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Just a stir, it was an easy cherry to pick.

:

No sweat......
Old 22-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #30
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

definitely gotta love those speed signs..... havent seen one since i was ~12, on a stretch of road i have since learned is part of the targa tasmania track
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post