Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Just Drove Ve Ss 6speed Auto

Just finished driving a new VE SS 6speed auto and have to say was not that impressed, yes it was a great car but not any better than any other new car that i have driven recently. The roof has not much head room especially in the back where a 6foot person would have head touching roof. It doesnt feel that fast but i suppose its only 270kw and quite heavy, the auto was nice very fast on down shifts but slow and slurred on upshifts.The car was nice in every way but has no wow factor. What i mean with wow factor is when VT come out or when BA came out or AU with wow that looks like *****, it looks and drives like what you would expect and in heavy traffic or saw a VE SV6 in black at the lights coming the other way and now i see the BA look to the headlights that i havn't been able to see before. The manual selection on the auto is very good and holds at all revs. It sits on the road at 100 very nicely and with little effort at 1500rpm. It still has that gay Cruise control on the blinker stalk and the wiper and blinker stalk are carry over from VZ. I think it is probably 10% better than BF in areas and 5% worse than BF in other areas. No turbo, No new V8's, one new transmission, old blinker and wiper stalks, one very weird looking diff housing, a poor V6 engine with only 5 ratios or 4 in base model with no SSS $3600 for LPG Vs $1500 for BF. I'm left thinking where did all that $1.2 billion go. Ford only need spend $700 million as we have 6 speed boxes already, turbo engines and good rear suspension, only need new shape and alloy V8 block and where ahead. One thing that you will laugh at is you can now get a stripe package for SV6 SS SSV but they go on bonnet roof and boot like cobra stripes like on Limited edition HSV GTO

Last edited by Eaturbo; 19-08-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Eaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I'm left thinking where did all that $1.2 billion go. Ford only need spend $700 million as we have 6 speed boxes already, turbo engines and good rear suspension, only need new shape and alloy V8 block and where ahead. One thing that you will laugh at is you can now get a stripe package for SV6 SS SSV but they go on bonnet roof and boot like cobra stripes like on Limited edition HSV GTO
The money went on finally putting in a good IRS system, stiffening up the car, styling, new trim (thats meant to trounce the B series), intergrating the 6sp Auto, and refining the existing carry over parts (engine, transmission). You gotta remeber the B series is still apart of the AU platform.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Thats some interesting reading....its about time the dunnydore's got a little bit of kerb wieght on there cars....instead of going around talking up how fast and economical there cars are compared to ford....a well built car weights more....thats the penalty.....welcome to the world of making quality cars HOLDEN!!! :hihi:
Old 19-08-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
james_1020
Starter Motor

it is interesting how you say you drove the new ve ss but then you go on to bag out the v6 and i am just taking a guess but it doesn't sound like you drove it so how can u make those comments when you haven't driven the car and then you go on to say that there is no new v8 but why would holden bring out another new v8 when they only just brought out the current one at the start of the year and the reason holden doesn't bring out a turbo is because its v8's actually have some decent power so there is no need, but besides the things i have pointed out your comments on the ve sound like they aren't comin from a biased person like most of the other comments on this forum, over all a decent report on the ve ss, and one more thing wat do you think of holdens six speed auto compared to fords 6 speed if you have driven the 6 speed auto in the falcon thats is i would like to know so if you can comment on it thanks.
james_1020 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_1020
it is interesting how you say you drove the new ve ss but then you go on to bag out the v6 and i am just taking a guess but it doesn't sound like you drove it so how can u make those comments when you haven't driven the car and then you go on to say that there is no new v8 but why would holden bring out another new v8 when they only just brought out the current one at the start of the year and the reason holden doesn't bring out a turbo is because its v8's actually have some decent power so there is no need, but besides the things i have pointed out your comments on the ve sound like they aren't comin from a biased person like most of the other comments on this forum, over all a decent report on the ve ss, and one more thing wat do you think of holdens six speed auto compared to fords 6 speed if you have driven the 6 speed auto in the falcon thats is i would like to know so if you can comment on it thanks.
Quite a mouthful. I believe we have a winner in our quest to find the least punctuation in any block of text.

Where did you acquire such an eloquent form of speech?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Quite a mouthful. I believe we have a winner in our quest to find the least punctuation in any block of text.

Where, precisely, did you acquire such an eloquent form of speech?
Nope, he put a full stop at the end so he only manages runner up...

Better luck next time.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yep, I just been at Holden myself and have to say if i was to buy a new SEDAN tomorrow it would be a VE SS with the 20 inch rims and the racing stripes, absolutely fantastic finished car. I didn't drive one as I won't be buying anytime soon but in the flesh the car really looks the goods with the optional alloys.

As for the price, you can get an SS manual for high 40's with the 20's and racing stripes, kicks the XR8's *** in so many ways, that car has more then enough WOW factor for me, its really a credit to Holden over the VZ which I always thought was very bland.

Holden even offer the 20 inch alloys on the OMEGA, opted with sports suspension some tint and chrome exhuast tips it would make a very very nice car.

Ford still have it in the sixes department tho, the SV6 didnt interest me as it woudl be no quicker then an XT, it looks alright but i dont particularly like holdens 18 inch wheel design with that black **** in the middle.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
james_1020
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGT05
Nope, he put a full stop at the end so he only manages runner up...

Better luck next time.
Well I tried
Old 19-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
, but besides the things i have pointed out your comments on the ve sound like they aren't comin from a biased person like most of the other comments on this forum
Im sure on AFF some comments would be biased in Fords favour does that suprise you? But I bet that the comments would be no where near as bias as the comments that appear on LS1 forum.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Well I tried
Well thought you gave it a good try and you just had a bit of bad luck with the bloody full stop!! dont be too disappointent and better luck next time
cheers - Eric
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
As for the price, you can get an SS manual for high 40's with the 20's and racing stripes
'Cept the SS is really an upmarket SV8 .. the SS-V is the "old" SS ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes, but its still the same as the XR8 based on features.
Old 19-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
james_1020
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Im sure on AFF some comments would be biased in Fords favour does that suprise you? But I bet that the comments would be no where near as bias as the comments that appear on LS1 forum.
The fact that people on this forum and LS1 are biased doesn't suprise me, I am just trying to find out facts about the VE that aren't biased and what Eaturbo wrote about the car didn't appear to be biased and has showed so light on what the car is really like
Old 19-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #14
Phoon Hoon

Well I'm not biased, but I think anything Holden produce is a piece of shyte, worthy only of collecting used tog turds.
Old 19-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

went and saw the omega today - pretty bland looking thing, actually looked better in white....typical povo pack car really. They had an sv6 and an SS. No V anything at my local dealer. The sv6 and ss looked quite good though.
Funny story, i hadnt shaved for a week and must have looked like a mug coz when i went up to have a look at the SS the indicators flashed, suggesting someone locked it from inside the dealership (noone was standing around the car but me and the misses). Thought that was good for a laugh, went to open it to sit in it and wouldnt budge hahaha.
Not too keen on the rear lights, they actually look better with a spoiler, the spoiler seems to hide the crappiness of them. But other than that, yeah good looking car atleast, will be interesting to see if they sell well being a larger car with fuel prices the way they are
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #16
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
Well I'm not biased, but I think anything Holden produce is a piece of shyte, worthy only of collecting used tog turds.

that statement suggests bias hahahaha....speaking of turds, toxic looks like baby crap, worst ford colour imo
Old 19-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #17
my gt
Extreme Machine

guys guys please lets not forget its just a frigin holden!
my gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #18
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I went in after work yesterday arvo for a gander at the General's latest offering. I was there all of 5 minutes and one of the sales dudes approached me and says "wanna drive?" Who was I to turn down a drive.

He tossed me the keys to an SV6 manual and away we went. It's VERY quiet inside and thankfully, the gearbox shift feel has improved heaps from anything before it and clutch action was quite good too. The dashboard looked okay but some of the plastics used felt cheap. The seats weren't anything special (nowhere near the quality of the BF items).

The car handled quite well. I put it through the local chicane and it put a smile on my dial. The steering has WAAAAY more life in it than VZ or anything else carrying the Commodore badge. It has a good weight to it and the wheel itself is quite good.

For a car nudging 1700-1800kg, it is quite quick (not BA/BF quick but better than VZ, thats for sure). The engine doesn't mind a rev and sounds more like a DOHC engine should sound.

Overall, it is light years ahead of the VZ it replaced. In my opinion, it has caught up to BF mechanically, but visually, that can be debated (I don't mind the look of the Commodore for one).
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 09:09 PM   #19
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Thats right it a chev or buick or nissan or opel or something powered Holden.....simply its Holdens catch up car to the BA and for there sake it had to stand out and create attention...and as we can see it is! Lets just hope it is a competitive race car just like the VY and VZ....hehe!!! :Up_to_som
Old 19-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #20
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default my opinion

Quote:
My opinion on the V6 is based on the fact that i sold holdens for 2yrs finishing in Feb 06 and have driven plenty of them putting 20000km on a VZ exec with alloy tec and with 100 more KG's and 5more kw it will **** weak like all alloytecs. The auto seamed to be as good as the falcons, the most impressive part of the car. The SS is the same spec as SV6 so same as old SV8 but SS will sell better with the Iconic name. My mates VY 285 clubby would kill the VE SS with 270 and 150kg more
Old 19-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #21
Phoon Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
that statement suggests bias hahahaha....speaking of turds, toxic looks like baby crap, worst ford colour imo
Well, derrrrr. It was a stir. And if your baby has toxic-coloured crap, it has colic. Make sure you wind it properly next time.
Old 19-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #22
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, yesterday I saw an SS being showen off at the shopping center, and the interior was **** house.... for the SS, it looks like a very cheap dash....

Orion - Full Colour ICC screens on base models, high resolution screens with rear camera on upper models, dual exhausts on all performance models, do the euro thing and get rid of the "Ignition Key", new bodykit, and redesign steering wheel, and Ford will be far ahead with minimal outlay...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #23
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoon Hoon
Well, derrrrr. It was a stir. And if your baby has toxic-coloured crap, it has colic. Make sure you wind it properly next time.
hahaha just teasin ya, i dont even have a bubs, i just hear their crud can get kinda green lol....give me a typhoon over an SS any day :monkes:
Old 19-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #24
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmm, i was lucky enough to be a passenger in an VE SS 2day, they took me just one lap around the block, i must say without me driving it i loved it, the look of it is great i love those wheel arch flares. As it was just around the block once i cant comment on the handling and speed of it as it wasent really tested in this circumstance, although i wasent the biggest fan of the interior or the ride quality.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #25
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I would like to know how you came to the minimal head room for 6 footers, I'm a 6 footer and didn't notice any head room issues.
Old 19-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went in today for a look. Have seen a red SS a few times being out and about for test drives. I am not a fan of the Red dash on the Red SS I saw. Its a little too bright.

The car looks good in silver.

Service was slow, but when i had a chat one of the saleman, he ended the conversation by saying that ford and the BF has nothing on the VE. Mental note, next time, don't wear your ford gear into a holden car yard. They will say stuff like that.

Anyway, found out they are doing a LPG version on the Omega. He had no other details other than holden are releasing a LPG model. He couldn't tell me whether it was dual or straight LPG. He couldn't even tell me whether buyer's of the LPG model will be entitled to a Greg Murphy K-Mart Discount Card.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #27
EL_futuraistic

I went up to the local GMH dealer. I found the VE to be a much larger car in appearance to the previous VZ. Im not sure if it is, but thats the impression i got.... the front guards are pumped out, and the Black Calais 6.0 they had there seemed very BMW 5 series in appearance.

Anyway, until the next gen falcon comes out the VE will hopefully keep a few people interested in the LARGE CAR market.

***BF series 2...... Fantastic idea they are now offering the 6spd on all models, and Huge fan of the "audi style" headlights.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #28
ETH02
Force Fed Fun

Had a look at the Holden display at the EKKA and I reckon the front has more BA than BMW styling on the lower models, to the point that my wife even said so. The interior was a bit bland too sleep: , Just my thoughts. Guess we will see how well they go once a few more get on the street.

Shockwave BA MKII Typhoon :sm_headba
ETH02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #29
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I went in today for a look. Have seen a red SS a few times being out and about for test drives. I am not a fan of the Red dash on the Red SS I saw. Its a little too bright.

The car looks good in silver.

Service was slow, but when i had a chat one of the saleman, he ended the conversation by saying that ford and the BF has nothing on the VE. Mental note, next time, don't wear your ford gear into a holden car yard. They will say stuff like that.

Anyway, found out they are doing a LPG version on the Omega. He had no other details other than holden are releasing a LPG model. He couldn't tell me whether it was dual or straight LPG. He couldn't even tell me whether buyer's of the LPG model will be entitled to a Greg Murphy K-Mart Discount Card.
i agree the red/orange dash is shocking - apparently its an option though, so if its black you want, its black you get
Old 19-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
I would like to know how you came to the minimal head room for 6 footers, I'm a 6 footer and didn't notice any head room issues.
Rear seat head room is a worry, but so is BA / BF rear seat head room. : Thats why you buy a Territory, which has more head/leg room then anything else built in Australia. :