Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
monaroCountry

Default New Camry thirstiest in its class

Funny how people automatically bag Holden, Ford and even the struggling Mitsubishi for being inefficient.

Note that the Camry has FWD, 2.4L engine, less power and torque and a lighter body (increased by only 30kg) – yet only gets 9.9L per 100km. The Holden VE has a heavy body (increased by 100kg), far stiffer chassis, more room, more power, more torque and a 3.6L v6 – yet achieves a 10.9L per 100km.

I would call the new Camry as inefficient whilst the 380, Holden and especially the 6speed Ford as being extremely efficient.

Just in from Drive.com.au

New Camry in role reversal
Joshua Dowling, The Sydney Morning Herald, 25/07/06

-Toyota released the new, sixth generation Camry today but it has the unlikely tag of being the thirstiest vehicle in its class.
-The new Camry's fuel rating label shows an average consumption of 9.9 liters per 100km, even though it is now available with a five-speed automatic transmission, which is designed to provide better economy at highway speeds.
-While Holden yesterday announced a fuel saving for its biggest-selling model in the new Commodore range, the new Camry's consumption remains the same as the model it replaced.........The car is a little heavier about 30kg than the old model
-The new Camry's main rivals are more fuel-efficient
-It's an embarrassing move for the maker which prides itself on fuel economy. The Camry is a globally-developed car, manufactured around the world, and the product of a much bigger development budget than the Commodore.
-A week ago, Toyota claimed that its V6 Commodore rival (called the Aurion and due on sale in November) would be more fuel-efficient than the new Holden Commodore
-The new Camry is available only with a 2.4-litre four-cylinder engine; the V6 will be exclusive to the Aurion.

From
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ID=18735&vf=12

monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
stevz
Banned

It will still sell, because the blind cardigan wearers will think "ooh, it's a 4 cylinder so it must be fuel efficient". What people don't realise is that a smaller motor which has to work harder to haul around a heavy bodied car is likely to consume almost as much if not more fuel than a similar car with a lazier, larger capacity motor.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 02:36 AM   #3
jonk

That stupid quote of Joshua's is typical of superficial motoring newspaper journalist's. NONE of the 4 or 6 cylinder Camry's have been fuel efficient. The latest release v6 Camry in city use uses nearly 12l/100km in the city cycle... it's only a '3/three' litre v6. In comparison to larger Aussie six's especially, Camry's have never been frugal not by any means, it's been like this since the quad cam v6 came out in Australia within the Camry range.

I've had the displeasure of finding this out first hand. It's cost's me on average between $5-8 per tank more to drive around Adelaide in the Fairlane '99 model compared to the latest Toyota Camry. 13.5l/100 km compared to 12l/100 km... now if I bought the latest model Fairlane ???...
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

It is a bit of a laugh, When the Aurion came onto Telstra dome 2 weeks ago there number 1 claim was the new car would be top of it's class with fuel economy.
Old 26-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Aurion is the 6 cyl which hasnt been released yet...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Every knows these laboratory figures are bogus. Ill wait till i see them in the real world. AFAIK the BA falcon is supposed to achieve around 11.5 on a city cycle (which would never happen in reality in a million years)

The wouldnt right off toyota yet, i think the Aurion will pull good real world figures, despite what the figures stated i was able to get a maximum of 11l per 100klms around town with a very heavy foot in my Avalon.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

fuel economy comes to the driver 99% of the time because everyone drives differently get out there compare the cars and see what you come home with

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Yeah, I don't see how you can can them for claiming these figures. Isn't the claimed fuel economy for a BA Falcon 10.9l? I'd like to see an everyday person do that.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

BF Fairmont Ghia has a rating of 10.2 l per 100km. The Camry has a rating of 9.9 for the auto. Thats 0.3l different for a car that is 300kg heavier, 1.6 litres bigger and a shed load more power and torque. Shows how efficient the Falcon really is. These may not be real world figures but they all have to follow the same test procedure. Why aren't Ford pushing these fuel efficiency figures to keep people from downsizing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Why aren't Ford pushing these fuel efficiency figures to keep people from downsizing.
...err , you mean marketing :, just exactly what part of Campbellfield do these workers habitat. To be fair the terry turbo ad is great, maybe fun and frugality could be the next round of Falcon ads.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

We just got back from a round trip from the Alice to Adelaide and return. Two adults and 3 kids (16 year old daughter and wife dont travel lightly) full boot. Cruised at 150K north of the border and 120K south. Did some city driving driving around Adelaide. Car is a manual BF XR8 (100% stock) , trip computer measured fuel consumtion at an average of 13.1 litres/100 for the trip. I would challenge any camry to travel with me and get better over all economy. The comfort factor is a serious consideration as well.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Four other things to consider are:
- Better resale value
- Servicing costs
- Insurance cost
- Reliability

I think the Falcon is actually cheaper to service, but I believe that the other three goto Toyota. (BTW I dont like toyota but they're doing something right)

Hey!!! I just hit 1000 posts!
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
Poetic Justice

Toyota has tricks up their sleaves for this car.

Resale will be great
Servicing costs for first 3 years of ownership will be GREAT
Reliability as with all Toyota's is great.

I think that quotes of fuel economy are going to be more reliable than the sources of Holden and Ford personally, but that's just me ;)
Old 26-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #14
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Ford, Mitsub, Holden and now Toyota.

All gearing the cars for economy on the highway...

Hello - we do't cruise down George Street at 110km's p/hr..... :

Is it just me or is Ford the only ones handing out economy?????? :

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 02:29 AM   #15
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
We just got back from a round trip from the Alice to Adelaide and return. Two adults and 3 kids (16 year old daughter and wife dont travel lightly) full boot. Cruised at 150K north of the border and 120K south. Did some city driving driving around Adelaide. Car is a manual BF XR8 (100% stock) , trip computer measured fuel consumtion at an average of 13.1 litres/100 for the trip. I would challenge any camry to travel with me and get better over all economy. The comfort factor is a serious consideration as well.
I can even top that, October last year Bathurst trip Melbourne to Bathurst.
3 adults full rear and back seat, Barely room for the passenger in the rear seat, 12.9l/100 up and 12.2l/100 back. The Terra was sinking in the rear.
Thats all freeway driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Ford, Mitsub, Holden and now Toyota.

All gearing the cars for economy on the highway...

Hello - we do't cruise down George Street at 110km's p/hr..... :

Is it just me or is Ford the only ones handing out economy?????? :
I don't know i get 455km average on a full tank out of a 92 VP Commodore local
Old 27-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #16
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota are very expensive to service at a dealer compared to a falcon or commodore. My falcon costs ~190 for a normal service and ~250 for a major, this includes car rental and all day at the dealer. Now I know of 2 toyotas that are no longer serviced at a dealer, why a standard corolla service (a few dealers) costs ~275 and a major service on a camry sportivo was 500, and the guy who owns the car went after to work for the service.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
I can even top that, October last year Bathurst trip Melbourne to Bathurst.
3 adults full rear and back seat, Barely room for the passenger in the rear seat, 12.9l/100 up and 12.2l/100 back. The Terra was sinking in the rear.
Thats all freeway driving.

I don't know i get 455km average on a full tank out of a 92 VP Commodore local
Ahhh , yes good numbers, but were you cruising at 150 at any stage?? That just might muck up ya numbers a bit....

Cheers.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #18
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Ahhh , yes good numbers, but were you cruising at 150 at any stage?? That just might muck up ya numbers a bit....

Cheers.
a couple of times to round up some lazy trucks on the Hume.
But to be honest on the way back going through the 50kp/h towns we really hammered it home and got even better economy admittedly we did discard some luggage
Old 27-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Yeah, I don't see how you can can them for claiming these figures. Isn't the claimed fuel economy for a BA Falcon 10.9l? I'd like to see an everyday person do that.
I currently get 10.0 - 10.1 l / 100km verified at the pumps each week, travelling almost entirely to and from work into Melbourne in peak hour, in my BA Ghia.
This shows also on my computer. The range after I fill each time is around 680 km. :

Its just how you drive, and try to avoid those drivers in front constantly accelerating and decelerating for no reason. out:

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 27-07-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I still think that many Toyotas are bought by those who are only interested in going from A to B. Not by those who are interested in how they get from A to B.

Ahhh its a Toyota. Has to be reliable and fuel efficient. Up go the sales together with better depreciation. Must be lots of those people around.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
monaroCountry

Quote:
The wouldnt right off toyota yet, i think the Aurion will pull good real world figures, despite what the figures stated i was able to get a maximum of 11l per 100klms around town with a very heavy foot in my Avalon.
Hahahh dream on, the 4cyl 117kw Camry already struggles with 9.9l/100km combined……….how do you expect to get 11L/100km city driving (especially when driven hard) on a 200kw Aurion?.

I love this positive spin by Toyota officials on their new Camry’s idiotic gearing……………(below).

Quote:
Given the 3 km/h police leeway, the five-speed automatic transmission holds fourth gear below 70 km/h.
"That gives you a bit more engine braking, so when you're in a 40, 50 or 60 km/h zone ... there's no need to concentrate so much on keeping the car at that speed," Mr Diamandis says.
But does it ruin fuel economy?
"The real difference to the driver is that you're not paying bills to Senior-Sergeant Ritchie (whose name appears on Victoria Police infringement notices). That's pretty good economy overall," Mr Diamandis says.
monaroCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #22
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry
Hahahh dream on, the 4cyl 117kw Camry already struggles with 9.9l/100km combined……….how do you expect to get 11L/100km city driving (especially when driven hard) on a 200kw Aurion?.

I love this positive spin by Toyota officials on their new Camry’s idiotic gearing……………(below).
Thats pretty funny i hit going slow 4th @ 48kp/h, But hit overdrive only over about 82kp/h.
Old 29-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Read an article on the Camry in the Adelaide Tiser today on the new Camry...

After pointing out he economy numbers are only 1l/100 less than Falcon and Commodore this from John Conomos...

'Its not just the one litre better fuel consumption" argues Mr Conomos. "Its perception"

He says many motorists are realising its "the right thing to drive a four cylider car" and they are looking for something other than a six cylinder.

Just doesnt ring right in my ears. Same man would be crowing 'economy' if the numbers were different, nice tack.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 04:30 PM   #24
Bobman
Regulator

I seriously hope Mazda has a word with Toyota over the "Mazda 6" rip off on this FWD Buzz box...

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #25
Walkinshaw
Two > One

10 or 11l/100 from a BA. hhaha. no deal. Best I've seen from the 5 BA's i travel in regularly is 13-14l/100. As soon as you throw any 90 or 100kmh zones into a travel, its nolonger a city cyle.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #26
Poetic Justice

I think it's humurous to see that you are all so critical on a car that deep down you know is going to sell very well. Especially in the current Australian market. Conomos' comments regarding perception I find to be very true. What you need to consider is that reading this forum in most cases means you are a bit of a car enthusiast, and whilst there is nothing wrong with that, alot of people are not car enthusiasts and look to affordability, reliability and the overall cost over ownership of the vehicle.

In regards to the expensive side to servicing a Toyota, you will see a good deal come with this vehicle when it is released in August.

Silver Ghia made the comment regarding Toyota customers only wanting to buy a car that gets them from A to B. Toyota recognises that in Camry, and whilst it isn't an issue as the result of it still means sales for the maker. In this generation Camry, Toyota seeks to attract OTHER (read: more) customers to purchase the vehicle. This comes with attractive pricing, styling for Sportivo, features for the Grande and so forth.

You are being very critical of the fuel economy (and so is the press) but this does come for a reason. Weight is up over the out going model, it gains more power and more additives to the interior and so forth.
Old 29-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #27
kempster1

I had a Camry hire car in Melbourne last week, drove it for 4 days. Around Melbounre and a day trip to Wonthaggi an back.
Filled it before dropping it back to Avis, 680 Km's of driving and it would only take 52 litres of fuel.
I was very happy..
kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #28
crYnOid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempster1
I had a Camry hire car in Melbourne last week, drove it for 4 days. Around Melbounre and a day trip to Wonthaggi an back.
Filled it before dropping it back to Avis, 680 Km's of driving and it would only take 52 litres of fuel.
I was very happy..
I had a rental camry on a work trip in vic. 540km almost all highway, and the tank was nearly dry. Not impressed.
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 11:52 PM   #29
AuFairlaneV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
Toyota are very expensive to service at a dealer compared to a falcon or commodore. My falcon costs ~190 for a normal service and ~250 for a major, this includes car rental and all day at the dealer. Now I know of 2 toyotas that are no longer serviced at a dealer, why a standard corolla service (a few dealers) costs ~275 and a major service on a camry sportivo was 500, and the guy who owns the car went after to work for the service.
I went to ford once for a service... bill ended up over $1000 and they done a very poor job couldnt find a fault that I had and stuffed up on the transmission service not putting enough oil in, was taken to local mechanic both problems fixed.

Ford service is terrible and is no doubt losing them many customers.... some who might just be looking at a camry/aurion as there next car
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #30
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
10 or 11l/100 from a BA. hhaha. no deal. Best I've seen from the 5 BA's i travel in regularly is 13-14l/100. As soon as you throw any 90 or 100kmh zones into a travel, its nolonger a city cyle.
Which merely goes to prove that it very much depends upon your driving style.

I'm getting 14.3 from an automatic BF Pursuit with a tight engine (2000km), but then, I just let the plebeains in the clapped VN's and ricemobiles 'win' in the 'race' to the next red light.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post