Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Harley Davidson 160mph Electra-Glide !!

MIAMI TWP. - Two motorcycle cops are expected to begin patrolling in this Clermont County community next month.

The bikes' maneuverability will come in handy on highways packed with cars during rush hour, said township Police Chief R. Steven Bailey. But he's resisting any suggestion the new unit be named the Clermont Highway Patrol, or CHiPs for short.

"I'm not going to call it that," Bailey said. "We call it the Motorcycle Unit."

Just as on the old TV show "CHiPs," the officers will ride massive motorcycles. But unlike the 1977-83 show, the township cops won't ride together, Bailey said.

They will be on different 12-hour shifts, said Lt. Steve Rogers, the department's patrol coordinator. "One should be out there every day of the week."

If the weather gets nasty, "we'll put him back in a car," Bailey said.

Each officer's duties will be the same as if he were in a car, Rogers said. "The only thing he cannot do is transport a prisoner."

Officers Gary Roush and Scott Ball will patrol on Harley-Davidson Electra Glides with 1,450-cc engines.

The police model of the Harley generates about 70 horsepower and has a top speed of about 160 mph, said Bob Bacon, general sales manager of Harley-Davidson Cincinnati-Eastgate in Union Township.

But it's not really safe to drive that fast, he said.

While Roush and Ball are experienced motorcyclists, Bailey said, the officers will receive two weeks of special training from the Northwestern University Traffic Institute of Evanston, Ill., where the chief is an adjunct professor.

But the officers won't have to leave Ohio. Northwestern had already planned an August training session in London in Madison County, where the Ohio State Highway Patrol will send some of its officers for motorcycle training.

Miami is the first township in Clermont to start a motorcycle unit, Rogers said, though the county sheriff's office also uses two Harley-Davidson motorcycles to patrol.

The township's Harleys will be black with silver lettering.

"It's low profile," Bailey said of the bikes. "We'll be handing out speeding tickets using handheld radar or hand-held lasers to gauge the speed of cars."

While the motorcycles will mostly patrol residential areas, another benefit is "being able to get some places that maybe we couldn't get to now," Bailey said. "For example, the crashes we have up on Interstate 275 in the morning - my goodness, getting up there to a crash is incredible" in terms of the time.

The motorcycle cops will be able to weave in traffic "or go up the shoulder, whatever they need to do," Bailey said.

The chief said the township will save money because of the Motorcycle Unit. The Harleys should get 40 to 50 miles per gallon of gasoline, depending on how they're ridden. The department's cars, Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors, get about 18 mpg, Rogers said.

Normally, such 2007 model Harleys sell for $16,500.

"We've signed a lease with Harley-Davidson Cincinnati-Eastgate for two motorcycles for $1" apiece, Bailey said. That one-year deal has an option for a second year at the same price.

The police department will equip the motorcycles for about $3,300 apiece, Rogers said. Outfitting the officers should cost about $1,200 apiece.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol Harley Davidson and maneuverability in the same sentence, I dont think those barges are going to be gliding through traffic as suggested... :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Put them on a Buel !! a Harley that actually handels.

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A buell will handle yes, but an electra glide, i dont think so, they aint the lightest bikes out there thats for sure.
Old 25-07-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
turboute
turboute

Man those bikes are a sexy bit of kit - getting my moto learners next year and when I can get my bik bikes licence I will get one of those. It's getting to the point where even bikers cannot get away with speeding anymore, so I might as well get something that looks really unique and can (almost) match it with the sportsbikes.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
top speed of about 160 mph, *snip* The Harleys should get 40 to 50 miles per gallon of gasoline,
Yeah, rightio... Electra-Glides hey. Worra loada bollox. If a tiny 90hp sport bike tops out at 140mph, how the hell is that block of flats going to manage 160mph with just 70hp? The fuel economy of those things is a joke too. *and* I've seen them pull 3 point turns on a 4 lane road, so the manuverability is a loada crap too!
Old 25-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Yeah, rightio... Electra-Glides hey. Worra loada bollox. If a tiny 90hp sport bike tops out at 140mph, how the hell is that block of flats going to manage 160mph with just 70hp? The fuel economy of those things is a joke too. *and* I've seen them pull 3 point turns on a 4 lane road, so the manuverability is a loada crap too!
haha,mostly dentist's laywer's and umm fancy boys ride harley's nowdays anyway lol,gimme a Duke anyday.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
haha,mostly dentist's laywer's and umm fancy boys ride harley's nowdays anyway lol,gimme a Duke anyday.
Give me a kawasaki, we can race for slips, you know green is the fastest color.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
KTM Duke?
Old 25-07-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
nitroman
nitroman

If Harley made an aeroplane, would you fly in it?....
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
Gammaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroman
If Harley made an aeroplane, would you fly in it?....
If Harley made a motorcycle would you ride it?
Old 25-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
KTM Duke?
Ducati Duke lol
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not standard Harley motor, 103cui, high compression ratio, etc. check the bikes on the harley site.
Old 25-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Gammaboy

Quote:
The police model of the Harley generates about 70 horsepower
Quote:
Not standard Harley motor, 103cui, high compression ratio, etc. check the bikes on the harley site.
Hi comp? wow? what, like 9:1? Its a big concrete pogo with wheels dude. If the hot one makes 70hp, i'd hate to be a sucker who bought a stocker!
Fact is its still a 350kg bike (once you add all the police crap) and has 70hp. Unless the police have right of way over the laws of physics, the bikes suck.
Old 26-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi comp? wow? what, like 9:1? Its a big concrete pogo with wheels dude. If the hot one makes 70hp, i'd hate to be a sucker who bought a stocker!
Fact is its still a 350kg bike (once you add all the police crap) and has 70hp. Unless the police have right of way over the laws of physics, the bikes suck.
Compression Ratio is 9.6.1.
Old 26-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Gammaboy

Quote:
Compression Ratio is 9.6.1.
Wow. Amazing. Clearly that extra 0.6 compression allows it to warp matter in a way that allows the bike to do 160mph fully laden.
Maybe some of the MotoGP teams should investigate this technology....
Old 27-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #17
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

160 mph - only falling from a large cliff!!! Complete pieces of rubbish these things are!!!

I like the deal - $1 each, 'bout all they're worth too.

A few years ago the WA coppers thought they were on a good deal whereby the Hardly Ridable companies' agent in Perth said "We'll sell you these pieces of crap for you to use as Polcie bikes AND, at the end of the agreed period (I think it was 2 years), we will by these same pieces of crap back from the WA Police for the same price!!! How good is that?????

Obviously the bean counters where over the moon, the none too bright and in-experienced patrol officers thought "this is good". Sadly, and as expected the WA wallopers ended up going back to the Jap bikes within the two year period as the 'image machines' simply couldn't handle being ridden. That is, the design intent of the Hardly Ridables is for low esteem people to park them on the side walk, not in designated motor cycle parking bays of course, Harley's are special you know!! and not be ridden every day. With this extended use, read more than 2 hours per month, they kept breaking down, Surprise Surprise you all say - how could that happen??

Well, two things happened, the wallopers got taken for a ride, metaphorically of course, as the maintenance cost was obscene but more importantly, the WA Police were simply un-able to keep up expected patrol hours with the non-ridable pieces of rubbish. Ergo, introduce the truly wonderful Japanese bikes (designed to be ridden, all day, every day and serviced as per maintenance schedule of course!) whilst the two wheeled snot boxes sat in the workshop awaiting handover back to the agent. Classic stuff!!

A quick joke that you have probably all heard before - Why couldn't the Japanese successfully imitate the Hardly Ridables???

Answer - they couldn't get their bikes to leak oil, shudder and vibrate, breakdown and cost well in excess of purchase price for maintenance cost.

Apologies - Rant off now.

Last edited by Paull; 27-07-2006 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Karnt spell for shieght!
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post