Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Escapee
I reject your reality

Default Tattoo Dilema

To me this sounds like a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer before I do anything.

I plan on getting a tat on my shoulder, I occasionally get a few pimples. Would a pimple come up through the tat? If so it would scar and leave a mark in it?

Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
protd
TUFF FORDS

pimples come through but dont effect the tattoo
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Pimples won't worry the tatt to much, if your really worried about it, ask the tattooist, or use soap when you wash.... : joking....
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
protd
TUFF FORDS

i have both my arms and my back tattooed pimples definetly dont effect them
Old 16-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Escapee
I reject your reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
Pimples won't worry the tatt to much, if your really worried about it, ask the tattooist, or use soap when you wash.... : joking....
Soap?? : why didnt i think of that? :

I just thought considering the ink goes so deep into your skin it would scar the tissue underneath and stop anything coming up.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im pretty sure the tattoo only gets effected by pimples during the healing stage of the tattoo

after that the tattoo is really just a black/coloured part of your skin and everything just happens thru it

good luck with the tatt mate
make sure you post pics!
Old 16-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
protd
TUFF FORDS

nope your skin is still the same.. even scratches and minor cuts dont effect tatts although deep cuts (stitches) do.. i'v had deep cuts and had to get the tatt fixed
Old 16-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I'M only going on the tats my bro has on his back and arms that have survived quite severe acne during his younger years without any deformation etc.So no, pimples dont effect tats...
Old 16-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Quote:
Soap?? why didnt i think of that?

My back is scabbed up at the moment from thursday, got more work done to my back. I will post pics when it is finished, step by step, but not for a coupla months due to affordability and sometime to heal in between. Its a large custom piece with multiple sittings. E.g the outline took 3hours and thursday 'Bags' put 2 hours of black into the beast, next months will be the wings and weapons, then the following months beasts body colour, flame work and washing.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have yet to see a tattoo parlour, that has any idea of infection control. That includes the ones that are giving it their best shot. IMHO you would have to be made to get a tattoo.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
protd
TUFF FORDS

i'v never had an infection from a tattoo (about 25+hrs in total) and never heard of anyone getting infections tattoo parlours are pretty good these days unless you go to a third world country to get it done..
Old 16-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news. I occasionally get some on my back/back of the neck.

The next tattoo I want is on the back of the neck... So good for me.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I have yet to see a tattoo parlour, that has any idea of infection control. That includes the ones that are giving it their best shot. IMHO you would have to be made to get a tattoo.

I think you will find that the rules are so much stricter for tattooists now that they are extremely good at infection control.

I haven't had any real problems from the tattoo's I have had done (the only one I had a slight problem with was because I got sun burnt through my top which caused a few little problems -- which the tattooist was fantastic at helping sort out)..

I can't wait to go back and get the next ones just have to a)get the money together and b) work out which one is next...

:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I think you will find that the rules are so much stricter for tattooists now that they are extremely good at infection control.

:
I'm in the infection control industry and I am fully aware of the rules. I just wish the the tattooist and council inspectors also new the rules.

I regularly get to numerous tattoo parlours and I have yet to see one that is up to scratch. The first time I went into a tattoo parlour I felt ill. The sink hadn't been washed in years and contained used instruments and dishes. The autoclave dated back to the 60's and hadn't been serviced or calibrated in years. I haven't been back to that particular business as they never paid my bill. Other tattoo parlours seem to be trying a lot harder to implement infection control practices, but they are not fully aware of what needs to be done and they are too short of cash to afford the correct equipment and testing.

Something else that I have seen at a tatoo parlour that freaked me out, was that they were mixing water from a 1 litre 'for irrigation only' bottle with black ink to create a grey. How could you not see the infection risk?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #15
blue fairy
I've become, impossible.

As someone pointed out above, the only time a pimple would be problematic is during the healing stage. This may affect the way that part of the tattoo heals, however, most studios these days offer free touch-ups and would fix up the tiny area affected if you had troubles with a pimple.

Enjoy getting your ink.
Old 16-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #16
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget to make sure they open and insert a new needle in front of you. Better to be safe than sorry.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

If you're prone to pimples, using Bepanthen (baby cream which most tattoists recommend) can exascerbate the problem, so perhaps look at something that isn't so oily/thick. There's varying views on it, but I find aloe vera gel (water based) is much lighter and also assists healing whilst keeping the tattoo moist.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 11:38 PM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
i'v never had an infection from a tattoo (about 25+hrs in total) and never heard of anyone getting infections tattoo parlours are pretty good these days unless you go to a third world country to get it done..
My tattooist went to get a traditional tattoo while on holiday in Borneo, when he saw 7 tattooists dipping into the same pot he changed his mind in a hurry. :
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #19
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the best advice i can give you is dont just pick a tatt because its all you can afford on the day,save up a couple of hundred or more,then find tatt you love and talk to tattooist to see if he or she can do it in one session ,if not get outline and some shading done then go back in a few weeks and finish it,this way you wont look at your tatts wishing you had waited a couple more weeks,they are forever.so a few weeks saving wont matter, also a good artist can make stensil up from picture of something you find in magazine or whatever,my last tatt i got on my leg was a Ned Kelly scene,i found it in old history book,his wife made the tatt up from my photo in about two hours,then i went back next day and got it done.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #20
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee
To me this sounds like a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer before I do anything.

I plan on getting a tat on my shoulder, I occasionally get a few pimples. Would a pimple come up through the tat? If so it would scar and leave a mark in it?
Get pimples tattooed on your shoulders!!

Problem solved!
Old 17-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #21
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im interested - whats the longest sitting/sessions anyone on the board here has sat through with their tatt?

And on what body area?

I did just over an hour on a dragon on my upper arm - that was sweet. Just booked in to get a mini sleeve and am going to have a crack at it all in one sitting. Maybe 5-6 hours. Can it be done?!?!
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #22
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its how much you can stand not so much how long it takes..

as the human body reacts to pain in different ways on different people.
at 1st it hurts then goes not so hurty due to the chemicals the body releases(adreneline and pharamones etc).. then it starts to come back due to the length of time ...

i sat for 2 hours for my dragon on my shoulder. and cant wait to go get some more ink done on a new tattoo
Old 17-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #23
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Im interested - whats the longest sitting/sessions anyone on the board here has sat through with their tatt?

And on what body area?

I did just over an hour on a dragon on my upper arm - that was sweet. Just booked in to get a mini sleeve and am going to have a crack at it all in one sitting. Maybe 5-6 hours. Can it be done?!?!
I did 3-1/2 hours straight, i was getting a little uncomfortable until he started going over areas he had done 2 hours earlier, then i was gritting my teeth and considering giving him a backhander.... ing_sm.
This was elbow to collar bone.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 01:53 PM   #24
Reign
Argg..

pimples dont effect them at all, well not mine anyway. All tattoo shops should show you that they are new neddles everytime before they start!
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #25
peyote
Grandpa EF Wagon

Quote:

And on what body area?

3 hrs on me back pretty much from the bump in me neck to about 3 quarters of the way down all outline & shade work
peyote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 07:08 PM   #26
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:

And on what body area?

i done 5hrs on my sleeve that was just the wash then another 4-5 on the colour.. its best to break the colour and the wash into 2 sittings the tatt just turns out better if the wash has healed otherwise it tends to fade..
Old 17-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #27
shane3
FPV GT 0915

8 1/4 hours in one sitting from start to finish, tribal tat from both sides of my neck down and across my shoulder blades (not finished yet), I couldn't sleep/lay on my back for a month, sorry about the quality of the pic.
Other tats that I have, have taken up to 4 hours to do
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #28
AUIIXR8_Tas

Aah.. apart from my car & computer I'd have to say tattooing is my other expensive hobby. Last one I got done was 2 large nautical stars on my shoulder blades but I'd have to say this one is my favourite and I'm still trying to get around to adding a bit more to it. It may be a good excuse to have a full sleeve up my arm.

Notice the segment that is missing red shading? I need to get around to having that done, too.

Show us yer tatts!
AUIIXR8_Tas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #29
Lion-hunter
Lion-hunter

OK took a bit to see it. My drago took 4 hours on my shoulder. That is because of detail but. The one on my other shoulder was done in two sittings as it started as a head then got added to. All up about 6 hours.
Lion-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #30
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I've done 5 hours on my sleeve as well, which was all the fill work. Was 3 sittings (outline, fill, fix-ups/background....) total...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post