Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 
Thumbs up Who has been given an UNROADWORTHY due to their car being too low?

YES or NO and any additional info like where you got the UNROADWORTHY

Like just driving along and pulled over
or
Was it through a booze bus
or
At a car show etc etc...

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

YES.

On my way to the laundromat (insult to injury, no?) and I parked in the sidestreet where i park whilst performing this mundane chore. Get out, grab the bag of clothes from the back seat, lock the door, turn around and a VZ commodore pulls up behind me. Can see the hi-vis vest in the drivers seat. Bugger.

Gets out, asks me how im going, do i have my licence on me etc...

"Car looks a bit low mate"
"Yeah it does, but have never had any problems with it before"
"Well i'm gonna have to check it out"
"Fair enough"

*out comes book and tape measure*

"Yeah, see its meant to be Xmm at the front and Ymm at the back" (referring to distance from centre of wheel to bottom of guard) "I'm gonna have to write you a defect sorry"

"Oh"

<--- see my avatar :(
Old 11-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

heaps of times about 10 tears ago
Had an XY fairmont and it was about 80 mm at lowest point, was cruising with a mate and we saw the cops sitting there so i just kept driving towards them ,but the problem was they were sitting right beside a speed hump so as i went over it and just about pulled my the whole underside of my car out .It didnt take em long to pull me over and ask if i thought my car was too low .Of course i replied no i dont think so ,The copper loked at me as if to say "YOU CANT BE SERIOUS "i just acted dumb as if i didnt know .The winning prize a nice yellow sticker on the windscreen ,but back the i had to only fix that problem and take it to Vic roads not a full RWC

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to love speed humps now days. We're allowed 100mm clearance from memory yet I know plenty of speed humps that are 100-150mm in height. My XB's collectors hate it.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Got to love speed humps now days. We're allowed 100mm clearance from memory yet I know plenty of speed humps that are 100-150mm in height. My XB's collectors hate it.
Lol, i wasnt impressed... i always went by the ADR minimum height (100mm), which i passed according to the officer.

Unfortunately our state authorities also decided to implement their own roadworthy requirements... none of which are enacted within legislation or their relevant regulations.

Gotta love a harmonised national system. *cough*
Old 11-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
heaps of times about 10 tears ago
Fraudian slip?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
miss_xf
Starter Motor

so what is the lowest u can go, and where is it measured from, i drive an '86 xf fairmont.... so many mean policemen round here i wanna do it by the books!!! thanks :-)
miss_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's measured from the lowest point in the car. Generally the exhaust or front crossmember is the lowest point.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_xf
so what is the lowest u can go, and where is it measured from, i drive an '86 xf fairmont.... so many mean policemen round here i wanna do it by the books!!! thanks :-)
Best to call your state's road transport authority and ask. In SA, it was measured from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch. The officer had a book with the relevant measurement for all sorts of car. We are also subject to a 100mm minimum clearance required at the lowest part of the vehicle - that rule comes from the ADR.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
miss_xf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
It's measured from the lowest point in the car. Generally the exhaust or front crossmember is the lowest point.
i have a body kit and the front bumper thing is around maybe 30cm from the ground dont quote me on that tho, im not exactly sure it may be more... but will they measure it from the bottom of that do you think?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

rule of thumb. if a coke can doesnt fit entirely under the car at its lowest point, then its too low. again thats being a little safe. but it works.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
miss_xf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Best to call your state's road transport authority and ask. In SA, it was measured from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch. The officer had a book with the relevant measurement for all sorts of car. We are also subject to a 100mm minimum clearance required at the lowest part of the vehicle - that rule comes from the ADR.
Ok. Thanks alot for that, its a question I've been wanting to ask for a long time but didnt know how to go about it except ask the police, but then i thought it may be dobbing myself in by doing that!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #13
miss_xf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
rule of thumb. if a coke can doesnt fit entirely under the car at its lowest point, then its too low. again thats being a little safe. but it works.
nice one mate, thanks! ill go down there and check it now! : lol
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

No but i have seen one.
Sisters VL Calais driven by my nephew just got his licence and had it lowered more but was driving with 2 rear bald tyres because he had a LSD fitted 3 weeks earlier so they got used : .
Old 11-07-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

i worked for a suspension mob in Adelaide, I was just doing a delivery to a customer pulled up at the lights and a cop on a bike pulled up next to me, i politely ignored his presence, but he knocked on the passanger window and told me to pull over when the lights changed, I did and he starts going on to me about how a reputable suspension should have thier company vehicles at a legal hieght, measured the ute up and it was 35mm too low, he then proceeded to tell me in no polite way that the car should be legal, I politely told him I only drive it and its not my responsibility take it up with the state manager oh and can i have your badge number etc because im going to complain about the way you were speaking to me (belittling me to the point of verbal abuse). went back to work and an hour later had 35mm raised from standard height springs back in it and defect fixed later that week... and yes as soon as the sticker came of the ute went back to the low height!!!!
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
Dezza
Parts bin special

Well, I certainly haven't. LOL. Go the stock EA suspension!

I am thinking of going superlows some time in the future. I'm just wondering, will that be legal?

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #17
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Will a can of VB also work? :
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm interesting. My car doesn't look low at all yet when you look under it, I doubt a Coke can will fit. Might have to check that out although I've been pulled over numerous times and never had a problem.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

yeah, i been canaried for ride height, back when i was young, stupid and bored (wait im still 2 of those things) choppys in the EA were the way to go, 3 coils out all round, wasnt worth it... $240 fine and had to buy more springs...but while i had the canary, the back was on bumpstops...aaahh those were the days...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 02:02 AM   #20
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

not yet, but at 70mm I shudder every time I see anything that resembles a cop car....

plus the windows are too dark, car is too loud, tyres are too wide, not to mention the extra 100 odd ponies loping away under the bonnet blah blah blah- I'm sure they'll ping me for something and to be honest it's my own stupid fault when they do. I've been lucky enough to have had the pleasure of driving the car for 4nearly 4 years like it is......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #21
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes

Was driving my son (who was ****ed) somewhere in my daughters boyfriend's '66 XP Coupe and was spotted by the Police. It was Melbourne Cup Day and they were RBTing and decided to run a measure under it and it was too low.

I felt really bad as it wasn't my car.
Old 13-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The old can of coke in a very inaccurate measure, the allowable hieght in Victoria is 100mm, and a can is higher than this. In Shepp they use a 100mm wheel on a stick and they push it under the cars.
Old 13-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #23
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never been done, but my cars are right on the 100mm limit.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #24
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Well, I certainly haven't. LOL. Go the stock EA suspension!

I am thinking of going superlows some time in the future. I'm just wondering, will that be legal?
I don't think itll be legal, I have an EB with super lows and its under the 10mm limit at the cat and the crossmember. I cant even fit my mates LG flipphone when flipped down under my cat lol. :

EDIT: DRHEMI, I am yet to get pulled over for being too low, everytime a cop drives past me I'm always expecting to get pulled over, but so far so good.
Old 13-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #25
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
not yet, but at 70mm I shudder every time I see anything that resembles a cop car....

plus the windows are too dark, car is too loud, tyres are too wide, not to mention the extra 100 odd ponies loping away under the bonnet blah blah blah- I'm sure they'll ping me for something and to be honest it's my own stupid fault when they do. I've been lucky enough to have had the pleasure of driving the car for 4nearly 4 years like it is......
I'm sure you could outrun them : :sm_headba

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #26
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Got pulled over in townsville about 2 months ago..Lady? cop and male sargent..YES officer what have i done?. Lady cop ,when you pulled up at lights your car sounded quite loud..Well it is an old V8 and the permitted DB is 96 for this particular car/ engine, I have actually had it checked by the noise testing mob back in August (go and get paperwork out of my glovebox) show her.She looks and and advises it says 96.7.Thats over 96 DB she says.Well its still 96DB is'nt it?Seems to accept this, then asks me how wide the rims are? 7" front 8" rear(didn't mention offset)thats legal in Qld.Mmmm ok. looks at sarg he shrugs.She goes over car checking lights/lenses,tyres,seats,retracting seat belts all ok.Settles on road hight.Looks too low she says.Drags out this stick thing with 100mm high measure on it and proceeds to stick it under the old girl with me right there measuring with the officer(I JUST scrape in) Ok she says, have a nice day. I glance at the sarge he just raises his eyebrows and smiles..As she is walking back to her car I advise her that the left hand brake light is inoperative on her police vehicle..Gave them a wave and pulled around them and ambled up the road..This is the third time I have been pulled over for a random check in the last 6 months, hence me having documentation and answers handy etc..Its all fun...
Old 13-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #27
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
I'm sure you could outrun them : :sm_headba
I was about to say, I think they haven't pulled you because they know you'd be off in a flash of unburnt fuel and tyresmoke
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #28
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
I was about to say, I think they haven't pulled you because they know you'd be off in a flash of unburnt fuel and tyresmoke
I'd get as far as the first speedbump :
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 13-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #29
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Started this thread as I see so many cars on the road which are too low - my car is at legal height but it has that UGLY gap in between the tyres and the body - i want to lower it more..........maybe

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 01:42 PM   #30
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Started this thread as I see so many cars on the road which are too low - my car is at legal height but it has that UGLY gap in between the tyres and the body - i want to lower it more..........maybe
My car doesn't LOOK that low because I have gone lower profile tyres (35's) which still keep the same gap in the wheel arch- if you don't want to lower it anymore but want to fill that gap and create the impression of it being lower, go for bigger wheels or higher profile tyres at the expense of performance- it's all a juggling act- hence why I'm still running 18's........
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5