Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-06-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Default Simple way of saving money on brandname computers.

You buy a new brandname computer, and it costs you $1600 or whatever. (Who buys brandname computers? Laptops.)

Anyway, these computers come with Windows XP pre-installed. It's usually Home Edition too.

So, if you have another Operating System, or another "legal" copy of Windows, what's stopping you from refusing the EULA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft End User License Agreement
If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, PC Manufacturer and
Microsoft are unwilling to license the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to you. In
such event, you may not use or copy the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, and you
should promptly contact PC Manufacturer for instructions on return
of the unused products(s) for a refund.
Return the windows, get money back then use your own version, sounds fairly good to me.

Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Hilton
You buy a new brandname computer, and it costs you $1600 or whatever. (Who buys brandname computers? Laptops.)

Anyway, these computers come with Windows XP pre-installed. It's usually Home Edition too.

So, if you have another Operating System, or another "legal" copy of Windows, what's stopping you from refusing the EULA?

Return the windows, get money back then use your own version, sounds fairly good to me.
the thing stopping you from agreeing to the EULA is it will quit if you disagree..

not sure if you can return the windows..then again never bought brand name always assembled myself but once the OS is opened it cant be returned...and you already know the CDkey so its not possible

hope thats relevant
FalconSR

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
ziggee

I'll have a stab at the first statement, about who buys brand names...

lots of people buy brand name laptops/computers walk into any bank, any telco, and business and you'll see the exact same machine on each desk. Why, few reasons, number 1 is the price, the big brands what to sell volume so business get a good deal based on the number they buy, I am not talking 20 or 50 more like 1000.

never dealt with anything less than 1500 at a time. either both desktop or notebook.

Also another reason, its always the same machine, stems from the fact that tech support, DO NOT EVER WANT 1000 different machines around. It makes the job to harder, they use a program called "ghost" (or equiv) to imagine them up. takes about 5 minutes to do a machine from scratch, instead of the 50mins manually... also the same machine means the same drivers, same specs again much easier to control and service.

Another reason is, for after sales support, Which IMHO can not be beaten by HP, you have a serious problem with a machine (dead anything), and its replace within 24 hours...(aka warranty).

Again from a technical point of view this saves time and money.. although it has been factored into the equation from the beginning.......

so your average joe of the street might not, but many many people do. Actually don't know any "generic" notebooks, desktops heaps. but I guess the people that don't have the knowledge will buy a brand name.. just like people buy fords.. for one reason or another weather that be, image status, quality, reliability, service, warranty and many more.

Not sure about your windows question. But I assume that if you have bought a machine, your either have preinstalled windows, or been sold a physically copy of it.

in which case, the person that sold you that machine, does not give a rats, if you re-installed a pir8 copy its not his problem anymore, you have paid for the licence and he has given it to you.

How do you give a pre-installed o/s back? he has sold it to you weather your aware of it or not. Or the recovery cd's..

not sure about your questions, that's just how I read it...

note: just remembered, not sure if o/seas notebooks are classed as genertic or not, but some of the ones that come out of tawian, etc etc... who knows as you can not read the labelling anyway.. ;) not being racist, but the yung phat 1600 could be anything, maybe its as big in tawien as toshiba is in japan.. nfi?? but if it was that big maybe it's not generic anyway.. point is some of the ones that come out of tawian look like they are just no name brands... re-badged...

Last edited by ziggee; 01-07-2006 at 12:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

I don't remember this being a debate about people buying brand name computers, i'm using one right now.

You return the licence and supplied media.

They use PXE Boot to image new computers.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
ziggee

Sorry I thought you were asking a question..

Dont understand what you were saying then.....

can you explain it better?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
I was wondering when someone was going to find the O RLY owl smiley
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure that if you order a commercial machine you can elect to not have an OS supplied anyway, that way you don't have to return it. You would have to order it from a reseller of direct though, I can't see Harvey Norman doing it for you.
Regards,
Tote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

For myself, I never buy brand name. One, I want to assemble the beast myself and two, I can get the parts for about half the total purchase price of a brand named computer specced to my standards.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
I'm pretty sure that if you order a commercial machine you can elect to not have an OS supplied anyway, that way you don't have to return it. You would have to order it from a reseller of direct though, I can't see Harvey Norman doing it for you.
Regards,
Tote
Nah, they won't. Alot of people have tried it (because they use Linux), but have been unsuccessful. Apparently it's a requirement.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #11
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris Hilton

Well, for a start you don't normally get an actual CD of Windows XP, you get a recovery disc, which is an image, not Windows XP....as such. This recovery disc reimages, or if you like restores the software to the exact state it was the first time you booted the PC, or laptop.

There is nothing stopping you from formatting the HDD and installing your own Windows XP and whatever other software you have. The disadvantage, especially with laptops (because you sometimes don't know what brand, or model, the hardware is), is that you will need to have ALL matching drivers for installed/inbuilt hardware, such as sound, video, USB, etc. In most instances you are better off going this way, as long as you OWN the operating system (Windows or Linux) that you are installing, as pre-built "Drone" PCs and laptops are full of advertising material (ISP software and bloatware that the manufacturer has been paid money to include in the package).

I must say one thing however. Unless you know your way around a computer don't screw with it. Too many wannabes think they know what they are doing because they've read a few articles in 'PC USER', and find out the hard way that there is a big difference between thinking they know, and the people who do. When I had my shop I lost count of how many phone calls I took from people who wanted to save a few bucks by screwing with something they didn't really understand.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #12
Faker
Certified Nutcase

$1600 up front, full refund for XP Home Ed of $167 - $200 = $1400 for a system with no OS you could have bought for $700 including a 19" LCD monitor, DVD Burner etc.
Just build one yourself or pay someone to do it for you with no OS with a huge saving on systems from Harvey Norman or the like.
It is not as difficult as some would have you believe but you must follow the instructions carefully and be aware of what static can do to the components if not handled correctly.

Brand name computers.
Over the years Acer has gained an unfounded reputation for average quality but IBM, HP etc have built a very good reputation (More based on cost than quality).
It's difficult to understand when, during the period of gaining the good reputation, IBM and HP used motherboards supplied by ALI (Acer Labs), the same Intel or AMD processors and the same brand plug in cards and RAM.
If you think badge engineering is common with cars you would be amazed with levels achieved with computer components.

There are plenty of decent and honest builders out there who would gladly put a system together with no OS for a massive saving over a system from an appliance or furniture retailer.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #13
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggee
Another reason is, for after sales support, Which IMHO can not be beaten by HP, you have a serious problem with a machine (dead anything), and its replace within 24 hours...(aka warranty).
I wouldn't be to sure about HPs after sales support. Check out this link.

http://www.break.com/index/crappyprinterhp.html

Steve
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
ziggee

dealt with them for 5 years and had zero problem, but that's a few years ago now...
i guess peoples experinces differ.. ;)
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #15
DTFRMONT

My current desktop is an Acer. I've had it for about 18 months & I've had no problems at all with it, about the only difference with computers these days is the case.
On another note, anyone after a cheap notebook would be wise to check out Myers - I bought a Toshiba Notebook with a Centrino processor (1.7) & all the other goodies (wi-fi, DVD burner) for just under $1100 - the original price on the box was $2500! The kid who served me said that they were all going out cheap due to the change in ownership of myers (clearing out old stock). they had other laptops for $799 & under!
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #16
jonk

The actual refund for XP is $60.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #17
Bluefreak

go here and get a good deal and negotiate the software you do/don't want...

http://www.cpl.net.au/
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:49 AM   #18
Faker
Certified Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
My current desktop is an Acer. I've had it for about 18 months & I've had no problems at all with it, about the only difference with computers these days is the case.
On another note, anyone after a cheap notebook would be wise to check out Myers - I bought a Toshiba Notebook with a Centrino processor (1.7) & all the other goodies (wi-fi, DVD burner) for just under $1100 - the original price on the box was $2500! The kid who served me said that they were all going out cheap due to the change in ownership of myers (clearing out old stock). they had other laptops for $799 & under!
Good score with the Laptop.
I myself have an Acer desktop bought in 1997 that I use to test components because it will run anything. In 9 years I have replaced the Floppy once, that's it. Oh I also upgraded it from a 166mhz to a blistering 233mhz (socket 7) to enable it to run XP.
The Acer name is gaining a better reputation these days but there was no reason for it to have a poor reputation in the first place.

Laptops: Toshiba Top line = $3000, Toshiba budget model (same screen size) = $1199. Updates to the budget model to make it the same internal specs (HDD, RAM etc) = $ 300.00.
More people pay $3000, why? Expensive means better doesn't it?

Let's not get started on TVs.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 AM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak
go here and get a good deal and negotiate the software you do/don't want...

http://www.cpl.net.au/
msy is cheaper.. I always compare their prices before buying something. I'm getting a 2GB SD chip for my camera tomorrow... $71!!!!!!!!! lol!!
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #20
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I seriously doubt you would be able to return the CD to most companies. As Quasi and ziggee said, most companies use recovery cds or recovery partitions (in the case of IBM for instance). So when purchasing an IBM laptop, you will not receive a CD at all.

Also worth noting is that with Microsoft licensing, if a machine is liscensed for a particular version of Windows, you cannot install on older version of Windows on the same computer. So if a laptop is licensed for Windows XP, you can't put a copy of Windows 2000 on that.

Whether anyone follows that rule or not i'm not sure, but you can never be too careful in the corporate world.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #21
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
Also worth noting is that with Microsoft licensing, if a machine is liscensed for a particular version of Windows, you cannot install on older version of Windows on the same computer. So if a laptop is licensed for Windows XP, you can't put a copy of Windows 2000 on that.
Its your pc/laptop so you can put on it any software you want. The problem is in the EULA for the software you want to use. Generally if it is OEM software as most are these days then LEGALLY you cant put that software on any other machine. In the case of XP there is even a chance you'll get done for piracy if you do. (XP has to be activated).

Also, you will have the hassle of trying to get device drivers to suit the OS you put on and I would say its not worth the bother to save a few dollars.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post