Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default eBay's wierd (warning, Holden content!)

I've had some good luck recently and have managed to find new homes for all manner of, frankly, crap.

A bidding frenzy on a stock Clevo cast-iron manifold? Yep, that's me! $91 for a bloody Holden HG Kingswood grille? You betcha. Anything I have touched turns to gold of late, and this goes too with buying - I've picked up some bargains, including some stuff from a bloke in Cairns who has a habit of sending the item I've won AND leaving me positive feedback BEFORE I've had the chance to even ask for an invoice!! (the world needs more people like him!)

Anyway, I shall recount the 2 tales of the Clevo manifold and the HG grille.

The manifold went for $10.50, an alarming amount of money for 20kg of scrap iron. The buyer lived about 250km northwest of me and when I sent the invoice, I jokingly told him that I'd get a quote for freight, not believing for a second that he'd go through with it once he'd figured out how much this thing would cost him. So he calls me on my mobile, tells me to get a quote, the cheque's in the mail, and he'll have it freighted to him. I was speechless. Don't they have stock Clevo manifolds up where he is? It's going to cost him $50!

The HG grille episode told me all I needed to know about rednecks from Caboolture*. Got a call when I was having breakfast this morning (oh, happy birthday to Blue Fairy of these forums, hence why we were at brekkie!!!) and a well-spoken Aussie and I had a chat about the grille (and lights - another $30) he'd won and wanted to pick up from me today. I said I'd be home around 1 o'clock, gave him my address and waited. At 2pm, he turned up in his white VS Commie. With 2 mates, both built like outhouses, and not much better looking. I offered my hand to shake - it was not taken. I showed him the lights first, then the grille, being polite whilst at the same time hoping that the "heavy" he'd brought with him wasn't going to bend me over the bonnet of my Saab and do unspeakable things to me. He passed the lights and grille to his huge mate, you picked and poked at the grille. He shrugged his shoulders. And at that point, the vendor pulled out the $121 he owed me for the stuff, held it out to me (of course I took it) and walked out of my life.

Lessons learned:

1. There is a clear difference between Ford and Holden people when it comes to my eBay transactions.
2. Rednecks from Caboolture* still scare me (the first was the lady I bought my old ZH from... oh Lord she was wrong...).
3. I wish people spoke to me, even if they are giving me money. A "how are you?" speaks volumes of their personality.
4. Some people will do anything to get hold a piece of crap, and I salute those folk.
5. People who bring "heavies" with them to pick up some car parts are clearly suffering from delusions of grandeur. What's going to go wrong, FFS? Am I going to pull a gun out of my pants at him whilst giving him car parts and taking his money? A little intimidating, totally unnecessary and amusing now that I think about it.

Right, as you were. I have a bottle cap here from my bottle of Cascaid that I might put up on the auction site tonight. Seller posts worldwide, Holden fans please contact the vendor before bidding.

* Not all people from Caboolture are rednecks, I want to make that clear. Just the ones I've met.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done to you I guess
(and am quietly thanking that I live at Morayfield and not Caboolture now - considering you added only the ones you have met from Caboolture are rednecks : )

It does appear some people are lucky with ebay selling and buying whilst others are not so...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Alot of people on eBay cant read either

When my adds say "Pick up Only" i can pretty much assure you that you have to Pick up the item from my house.

Not win the auction then ask how much postage is - bloody losers..........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my pet hate with ebay is these people who wont post or pack and take to bus freight office for bigger stuff, WTF ebay is huge because you dont have to go and pick up in most cases especially usefull selling tool for interstate sales that you would never get from trading post or other papers.everyone wins.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
* Not all people from Caboolture are rednecks, I want to make that clear. Just the ones I've met.
Thats only in QLD. As far as us Southern types are concerned anything Nth of Goondiwindi or Tweed heads has redneck for a middle name
Old 26-06-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

lol watched a genuine workshop manual for an XF finish on ebay for $220+.....

bloody things are $150 new from ford!

i PM'd the seller congratulating him...... also mentioned if he wanted to make a few extra $$ to PM the couple of close losers and offer them a second copy.... if they bit, go to ford and buy a couple lol
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Tiga_EL
Banned

Sorry im a bit out of it, but can someone please define redneck for me.. Im not exactly sure of the meaning, although have heard it plenty of times
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

about the closest australia has to rednecks would be bogans....
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post