Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Default Astra Diesel

Test drove an Astra Diesel today. It was a seriously good thing, and may be the car to drag me away from the blue oval after 28 years of driving.

Absolutely BAGS of torque, good handling, ride, transmission. Stacks of room. Let down a bit by the cabin plastics and crap stereo, which would have to be upgraded. Interior engine noise when pottering around was a bit more than expected, but for 6-7l/100km I'd live with it.

I couldn't work out how to get the computer in the test drive car (with 80km on the clock) to show fuel consumption. Holden reckon you drive it from Sydney to Melbourne on one tank.

Performance was bloody good. It went up Warringah Road, Dee Why (for those not in Sydney, this is a really steep arterial), as if it was if the hill wasn't there. I can't believe how easily it did it. The car I drove was an auto. Apparently the manual has 16 valves and even more guts.

The 5 speed auto with BA/BF-style manual shift worked well, but when left in drive it was reluctant to select 5th gear, even when cruising at 100km/h. This might have been because I was going downhill at the time, because the tranny is smart enough to downshift when it thinks you need meaningful engine braking. It feels weird at first, you almost have as much engine braking as if you were driving a manual and changing gears yourself.

In manual mode, in 5th gear at 100km/h, it was doing 2000rpm, was quiet enough, and still very responsive.

I give this thing 4 stars out of 5. It needs a better sound system, but everything else is good or better. For my money, diesel is the way to go.

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Are they turbo diesel ... i presume so.

A work mate of mine has a VW Golf TDi 2.0L ... and damn it's got some torque as well ... 6-speed manual too.

He has driven to Melbourne and Brisbane several times and not used the entire 55L (tank capacity).

He loves it ... it is a nice car ... quiet for a diesel as well ... but a ton of torque ... and smooooooth.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Yes I am also about to go and test drive an astra diesel, the stereo in the astras are actually ****en good stereo's. The problem is thy are the typical vauxhall, non user friendl setup, once you get the best balance of everything they pump quite hard, but their aint much that can beat the stereo's in the Vectra CDXi's.

I was thinking of testing the GOLF 2.0 also but the astra is a bit cheaper with more features than the comfortline golf. Yes they do have a lot of grunt, they rekon they are quicker than your average family six from 80 - 110.

Might have to wait for the Commodore diesel me thinks, who knows. hope they give us a bit of early info.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Abacus
Life's a Gas

So where the ***ks the Focus Diesel?

I just read the specs of the Astra. Apparently the 8v auto I drove only puts out 88kw, while the 16v manual puts out 110kw!! But you really wouldn't think the power output was that low. There was so much torque that the maximum power output kind of becomes hypothetical. I don't know (or care much) what it will do the standing 400m in. I don't drive a car that way. In the real world on the road it feels strong. Really strong.

Oh, and did I ask, where the ***ks the Focus Diesel?
Old 23-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Bit more info here:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...ring.html#more

Oh, and where's the Focus Diesel? Hello Ford? Hello? Hello?
Old 23-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
Hally

I was under the impression that the auto in the diesel Astra was a 6 speeder. Can anyone confirm?
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Abacus
Life's a Gas

The blurb says its a 6 speeder. I only saw it get up to 5th gear. I didn't even try to change up when I was doing 100km/h - I didn't realise the 6th gear was there. It didn't need it. The auto certainly wouldn't change up to 6th if left to its own devices at 100km/h.

I don't know how fast you would have to be going to start looking for it. It would probably help the economy. It was doing 2000rpm at 100km/h in 5th, which happens to be where it develops peak torque (280Nm), so it could easily cruise with a higher gear.

Last edited by Abacus; 23-06-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 23-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
turboute
turboute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
The blurb says its a 6 speeder. I only saw it get up to 5th gear. I didn't even try to change up when I was doing 100km/h - I didn't realise the 6th gear was there. It didn't need it. The auto certainly wouldn't change up to 6th if left to its own devices at 100km/h.

I don't know how fast you would have to be going to start looking for it. It would probably help the economy. It was doing 2000rpm at 100km/h in 5th, which happens to be where it develops peak torque (280kw), so it could easily cruise with a higher gear.

Probably there for people who use them in germany on the autobahns they would be the ones needing it
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep go the VW Golf Comfortline TDI - same price as the Astra, better built, but also has a much nicer interior to be in, all the electronics, safety etc (i am sure its more balanced than the Astra), less fuel, things like rain sensing wipers, arm rests front and back, dual drivers footrests - drove the 2.0TDI idles getting 0.5L per hour and cruises on the hwy getting 4L per 100 in 6th (manual) with cruise on - plenty of power and torque - try both, i think u will then realize how plain the Astra interior is
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Driving a Holden is still a bit of a pill to swallow.

I've never driven a Golf. Any idea what parts and servicing prices are like?

Why won't Ford Australia give us this:

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews...e-1004539.html

2.0 TDCI Zetec. Noice......
Old 23-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
Hally

Re the Golf, down in Melbourne they are offering the Golf Comfortline TDi manual for $31k driveaway. Very good value and I am sure it is in response to the release of the diesel Astra.
Old 23-06-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

That damn good for the Golf .... mate at work wanted the Sportline ... but had to wait 6 months for one to come in from Germany ... then they stopped the Sportline in TDi.

Comfortline cost him close to $40L driveway just over 6 months ago ... but it's also on SMB novated lease as well ... plus he got extras too.

Bloody nice vehicle the Comfortline TDi in manual ... got some balls ... nice stereo too (crisp/clear/deafening) ... GPS screen is massive ... cooler compartments in the glovebox and centre console with slide armrests ... so many auto options ... inc. auto close roof via remote. Too many options to list.
Old 23-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep in mind thats probably the Golf 1.9TDI but still a much better buy than the Astra in my opinion, you would have no issues at all with the interior
$60 to fill, get 1000km out of a tank - or fill it with home brew biodiesel for $20
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Ahhhh ... that's why my mate paid nearly $40K with extras ... cos he has the 2.0L TDi Comfortline.
Old 23-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #15
BlackLS

I'm fairly sure that the South African plant where we source our Focus puts in the Duratorque TDCI engine as well.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

Quote:
So where the ***ks the Focus Diesel?

I just read the specs of the Astra. Apparently the 8v auto I drove only puts out 88kw, while the 16v manual puts out 110kw!! But you really wouldn't think the power output was that low. There was so much torque that the maximum power output kind of becomes hypothetical. I don't know (or care much) what it will do the standing 400m in. I don't drive a car that way. In the real world on the road it feels strong. Really strong.

Oh, and did I ask, where the ***ks the Focus Diesel?
In Europe with the wagon and people mover. Check out ford europe the Fiestas, Focus's and Mondeo's we don't get. But NZ DOES !!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #17
Hally

I didn't realise that the Golf's had two different diesels. I heard the add on the radio again on the way home and it is the 1.9.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 23-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 1.9 is old generation diesel tech, the 2.0 diesel is latest diesel design. Has more torque than 1.9. Pay the extra and get the 2.0 diesel.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Test drove an Astra Diesel today. It was a seriously good thing, and may be the car to drag me away from the blue oval after 28 years of driving.

Absolutely BAGS of torque, good handling, ride, transmission. Stacks of room. Let down a bit by the cabin plastics and crap stereo, which would have to be upgraded. Interior engine noise when pottering around was a bit more than expected, but for 6-7l/100km I'd live with it.

I couldn't work out how to get the computer in the test drive car (with 80km on the clock) to show fuel consumption. Holden reckon you drive it from Sydney to Melbourne on one tank.

Performance was bloody good. It went up Warringah Road, Dee Why (for those not in Sydney, this is a really steep arterial), as if it was if the hill wasn't there. I can't believe how easily it did it. The car I drove was an auto. Apparently the manual has 16 valves and even more guts.

The 5 speed auto with BA/BF-style manual shift worked well, but when left in drive it was reluctant to select 5th gear, even when cruising at 100km/h. This might have been because I was going downhill at the time, because the tranny is smart enough to downshift when it thinks you need meaningful engine braking. It feels weird at first, you almost have as much engine braking as if you were driving a manual and changing gears yourself.

In manual mode, in 5th gear at 100km/h, it was doing 2000rpm, was quiet enough, and still very responsive.

I give this thing 4 stars out of 5. It needs a better sound system, but everything else is good or better. For my money, diesel is the way to go.
it would be an interesting comparison too see how much servicing and running a little diesel costs over say 200,000 ks compared to a equivilent petrol beast, in the past i have always been of the opinion small diesels are a false economy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #20
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Astra Turbo !!!

Looks the goods, and not too expensive either.

sorry for going ot
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #21
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

It may not have made it to 6th because all those that have been driving it have been doing so with their foot to the floor, the latest GM gearboxes learn the way people drive and adjust the shift patters higher or lower depending on if they always wanna go hard or drive for economy, just like most gearboxes these days do.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #22
blackahcdx

you really have a problem with the plastics in the Astra?
WOAH, everyone always comments on how nice the plastics are in the AH and how well its put together.

I think the price saving the Astra represents over the equivelent golf is enough to swing it to the Astra, particularly in manual form

Astra CDTi Manual = $29990
Golf 2.0 TDi Comfortline: $31490 (same price as the Auto Astra CDTi)
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven the 2.0 Golf with 6 speed DSG and its a very well built car with tons of go and not too noisy. 5 Star crash rating also. I know an older lady who has one and she drives it like and old woman and gets 1000km out of the 55 litre tank.

My brother has the previous model golf and it is so well built the dash is tuff as steel {not one rattle} and the paint which sees electricity when its made is indestructable. A girl who he took out opened the bottom of the door very hard into a gutter and my brother couldnt bear to look so I did. Not a scratch.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post