Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default Australia Vs Brazil <spoilers>

Stand proud socceroos.

Billed as a david and golliath game it turned out to be anything but. The game proved very entertaining with Brazil readily able to possess the ball in front of the aussie box but most attacking efforts met stiff Australian defence resulting in the brazillians squandering opportunities or being forced backwards. Australia's offensive tactics were solid and virtually at will they could send the ball down the left side and create chances in and around the brazillian goal.

I thought Brazillians first goal was fairly soft coming from ronaldinho playing the ball through for ronaldo who then directed the ball across goal to adriano who was waiting. After controlling the ball for a moment the shot was sent through and just snuck inside the goal post. Schwarzer repositioned himself well when ronaldo passed across goal and I thought he should have had that covered. Their second was purely a product of the Australian push forward for an equaliser leaving them short at the back. As the clock ticked over and australia became more desperate it was only a matter of time before brazil capitalised on this.

In the end though I think Australia showed they do not deserve there current ranking and if they can get past Croatia to get through to the 16 teams they could prove a thorn in the side for France or Korea.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 04:57 AM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definatly well done to the aussies!!
we gave em a good show thats for sure!!
2 nil and both in the 2nd half against the best team in the league is pretty damn good effort
Old 19-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

woke up for the last 8 minutes. the person who was supposed to ring me never did : and saw that last goal. i have to say, Australia seemed to play pretty well. good on em. anyone see the results of croatia v japan?
Old 19-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not the result we wanted, but Australia really took the Brazillians to task. It was great to see. Lets hope this friday we get over the Croatians. That would be great to make the next round.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought Australia shut Brazil down very well, 'star; players like Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and even Kaka never really got started. I thought Australia were stiff to lose, were definately going for it after the Cro V Jap result, unfortunately it didnt pay off.

Australia had their chances but the finishing was poor.

The ref was very biased and im not surprised that Harry gave him a huge spray (expect him to miss croatia though) and in the end, thats what really cost us.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
woke up for the last 8 minutes. the person who was supposed to ring me never did : and saw that last goal. i have to say, Australia seemed to play pretty well. good on em. anyone see the results of croatia v japan?
Nil all draw - Exactly the result Aus was hoping for.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
I read somewhere it was a 0-0 draw. So if we draw with Croatia or win and Japan doesn't beat Brazil by 2+ goals (as if they will!), then we are through to the final 16

Here's the story
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=107133
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

sweet as :sm_headba
Old 19-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Got up with the misses and watched the game. I must admit I don't know much about football, but enjoyed it. Aussie's seemed to play really well, a lot of possessions, but seemed to hesitate for goal attempts. The Brazilians just went bang bang and scored. Well done Australia though, I think they did us proud against the World's best football team.
Old 19-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #10
1TUFFUTE
Banned

it was deffinately worth getting up early to watch that game. It wont come around very often id say...that is aus playing the best team in the world.
Is it me being biased or do other nations tend to do alot more DIVING then the aussies do.It seems everytime they do a replay on a penalty u see that they havnt even been touched. I realize milking a penalty is just part of soccer but still... :

Cant wait to see our ranking if we make it through the next round!!!! :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

A huge game from Viduka... some of the best run back defending I have seen from the big man....

I just wonder what might of been if Guus had named an offensive team and a more attacking tactic from the opening whistle.. It would be nice to have an early goal instead of chasing a result every game :(

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

The diving is what ruins soccer for me. Not just the diving, but the rolling on the ground in agony afterwards until the free kick is given and then they are cured. I wonder how many yellow cards are given based on the player rolling around. If they just get up and play on there wouldnt be near as many.

We just need a draw with croatia to get through now.

Our ranking will improve heaps by just making the world cup, let alone making the final 16.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #13
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Very good game by the aussies. The result does not reflect on the match though. They didn't deserve to lose 2-0. They did well though especially considering they were playing the number 1 team in the world. Good work socceroos and lets hope for a win or draw with croatia! Although they are already heroes in my eyes and I'm sure lots of soccer fans feel the same. I will definately be getting up to watch the croatia match!
Old 19-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
ziggee

is the game being "repeated" at all? on sbs
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #15
pks54
Ford Power To The People

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggee
is the game being "repeated" at all? on sbs
sbs replay the best game from last night each day at about 5 or 5:30 pm. me bets its going to be the one showing today.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
rodderz

I got up on time to see the whole match then got up 2 hours late for work!!

Even with a loss good to see the aussies played well, Kewell was unlucky on a couple of goals, probably should have slotted 1 of them but I guess every game they learn from and get better
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #17
XRated
Shoot.

I'm one of the band-wagon supporters but find it very entertaining, albeit frustrating.

It seemed the Socceroos just wanted a draw and played extremely defensively until Brazil scored their first goal. Then the Socceroos appeared to play offensively and had plenty of shots at target. I almost think they should've played this way from the start of the second half.

I'll be in the city for the next game though

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:22 PM   #18
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kewell has officially been charged by FIFA after the ref reported the incident in his match report. He claimed that Kewell swore at him. Kewell has until Tuesday to reply and the outcome will be announced before the croatia game.
Old 19-06-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeld-Wen Falcon
Kewell has officially been charged by FIFA after the ref reported the incident in his match report. He claimed that Kewell swore at him. Kewell has until Tuesday to reply and the outcome will be announced before the croatia game.
So he gets a fine? or will he be suspended?

If he does thats BS...stupid umpires, soft as custard!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #20
ziggee

what a sensational game...... watched the replay tonight.... seriously wicked stuff.
2nd goal was a "gimme" which was a real shame for the australians..

Harry played better in this match IMHO compare to the match against japan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #21
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched the first half, as usual the players diving and in agony shivers me too tears. The most frustrating thing though was the Referees. Are these guys for real? Pooncing around like prima donas waving their arms and yellow cards with Gay abandon. Fair dinkum this is a walking advertisement why this game will never rival AFL. If half these guys copped a Byron Pickett shirtfront it would most likely kill them if an ankle tap has them in agony. Great effort my the Aussies esp Neill and Moore in the half I watched. Seemed to be rushing their shots on goal to me as they were too far out to make a decent shot.
Old 20-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #22
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a great match, Australia did well to hold off the Brazilians. However the match did show who the stronger side was. Brazil once again showed why they are the best team in the world. They looked precise when playing, minimal errors and I believe have kept all their cards close to their chest, a waking beast. Australia have a lot to learn (2nd half was very sloppy by the Australians) but IMO have proven themselves so far. Well done to both sides.

Bring on Croatia.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:57 AM   #23
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

They call it the world cup, seems like most of the nations are from Europe. Yet Australia had to play a second placed nation from South America to even qualify. It stinks. As much as I enjoy watching Australia do well, I must agree with a previous poster, the diving is a joke. Should be the Academy Awards..........
Old 20-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #24
Nevermind
Goodbye XR8

There should be a rule that if you dive and roll around on the ground in agony, you have to be replaced for 10 minutes to be fully checked out by medical staff.
Old 20-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #25
xrgt
Big Motor Top Loader!!

I heard the funniest chants whilst watching the game with a bunch of drunken hooligans....

1. Ronaldo's a fat
2. Get some braces ya maggot (towards ronaldhino)

A classic was the viduka interview the next day... he said:

"I'm not into victomising and all, but there was an element against us."
xrgt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #26
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Polyal, its undecided what will happen. Apparently the FFA have appointed lawyer in
Harrys defence, could get anything from a fine to a suspension.

jd dad, 'soccer' isnt a physical sport. You will see players from any code even any sport dive and milk a free.

Redrum, Europe obviously get more spots due to quality of football and the fact that they have alot of countries. Australia are entered into the Asian qualifiers for the next world cup.
Old 20-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #27
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

I read in the paper today that it is likely that Kewell will get a one match ban. Hopefully Harry will have a good excuse for mouthing off at the umpire. But I think I would have done the same thing, there was something like 23 to 7 free kicks in favour of the brazilians. Damn that Japanese guy who said Aussies play a rough game, the umpires seem to be being very harsh on us now. Although there were some fair calls.
Old 20-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #28
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

PS I love guus he is so funny to watch.
Old 20-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #29
xbcoupe302
formerly xbwgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind
There should be a rule that if you dive and roll around on the ground in agony, you have to be replaced for 10 minutes to be fully checked out by medical staff.
the staging is done in afl aswell look at mathew lloyd nearly every kick he gets is from the umpires from a stage.

even if australia dosnt make to the next round of 16 u still have to happy with your countrys effort as most of the other teams have players from the uefa champions league plus the english premiers league (granted some aussies play there aswell) so until soccer becomes bigger here and the whole team is playing in other leagues around the world just have to happy with a middle of the road team

weekend driver XB COUPE

daily driver ZH FAIRLANE

project cars V8 XB WAGON
V8 WINDSOR POWERED BLUEBIRD WAGON

wrecking v8 XD WAGON
xbcoupe302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 04:46 PM   #30
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennybrain
PS I love guus he is so funny to watch.