Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default Correct operation of AU climate control?

Hi everyone,

I am sure there is a bug in the programming of the AU climate control system. If I want the heat to come out, I have to put it onto face-only vents. If I make the vents vent air around the footwells too, then it stops the warm air. I thought that it is just sharing the heat, so less warmth is felt from each hole, but it seems to cut off the warmth.

Then.. if you operate the heater with the A/C OFF displaying, does that mean it's not loading up the engine with the air con accessories? Seems to make very little difference in my car (AUII). Does the A/C only run if you have the temperature setting below 20 or something?

During summer, my A/C runs fine, a real icey blast.

Anyway, it seems pretty confusing and the owner's manual is very vague on it. Does anyone else find the myriad of controls and settings / configurations confusing?

Regards,

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i also have the warmth stopping when selecting all around
but it starts warming your feet instead but wth ice commin from the face vents

also when i have the climate control set to 27 auto A/C OFF and its 9 outside. the fan doesnt start but if i up it to 30 it starts up
Old 08-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hi Blackers, interesting. Maybe the solution is to switch the air source back to cabin air. I'll see if I can try it tonight.

The second thing you mentioned about fan speed doesn't happen on mine, so maybe something's faulty there?

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 08-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i might have to reset it
stupid thing
whats wrong with buttons and toggle switches *cry*
made the old LTDs look so much more fancy with more buttons than you ever thought ud use!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Hehe, sounds like an old Betamax machine I know of. The source/display toggles were such a crude and complex design that it was possible to monitor nothing on the TV if you got it set wrong, and all you wanted to was switch from dubbing input to watch a TV station. But least you knew exactly what it was doing if you understood it.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe you have already tried it but have you run it through "diagnostic mode"? any faults will be displayed, the worst that can happen is the climate control unit is reset thus eliminating any minor problems. There is a tutorial on the procedure here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=39603
I used to have an LTD (vacuum controlled headlight model) it had the "climate control" levers in the centre console, interesting set-up, but for obvious reasons would be frowned upon these days. Compared to that, the AU (Fairmont) C/C is a masterpiece, having said that, mine stays on @24 deg & rarely do I use the air-con, I am in Melbourne after all e
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
Dauphin
Irregular member

Hi Dok, I did the diagnostic test and everything came up fine. So last night I was driving and I did some tests. Switching to source the in-cabin air doesn't make a difference and moving the vent control away from face outlets make a really big cold difference as before. It's like the only way to get the nice warm air is to have it at face vents only. The other vents seem only available for cooling down.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
janek
Ripping it up

yeah, i have the same thing in my ghia...

i just put it down to a dodgy design of the CC units
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post