Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Would you ever buy digital music?
Yes, if it was direct from the artist. 12 21.05%
Yes, if I knew it was secure - Don't care who its from. 11 19.30%
Digital what now? 0 0%
No, I'll stick to my CDs thanks. 20 35.09%
No, I'll stick to my LPs thanks. 1 1.75%
No, I'll stick to my banjo thanks. 13 22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Default Digital Music - Does it work?

I've just payed for my first mp3 ever.

With the increase in digital music and the effect its having on album sales, would you buy a CD in mp3 format?

I previously wouldn't have thought so... but in this case, the band is rather small and I know the 0.9 pound I spent on it is supporting them directly.

Would you ever buy digital music? Why?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

I would probably pay for an album, however it'd be nicer to have the CD sitting there. I dunno, I just like having things.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
rob_o

Well not buy exactly, just download off the net for free

/puts on flame suit
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Well, I heard the latest single was out - so my immediate impulse was to download it. However, upon reading the website they announced it was an mp3 single and all I had to do was 'click here' and I could buy it.

I had a look, it was cheap and it meant that after the transaction was finished, the download link was staring back at me. The whole process took less time than putting on a pair of shoes - but the end result was far better!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

its great for music on the move, ie ipods and in car audio, but other then that its a step backwards in advancement in technology, as the quality of mp3's are not as good as cds and cd's have been around for over 15years now. I think its now time to have DVD audio in the mainstream, with dvd quality sound and 5.1
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yes, but the way you can store mp3's is the main difference between CD's. I know I would prefer to store 5000 mp3's on a hard disk or iPod than carry them around with my in CD form. An besides, the quality of mp3's isn't that bad when you compare them to cd's.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

No, simply because i like to have something to show for my money. And what happens if you accidently delete the file on your PC? Money wasted.

Id much rather buy a CD and rip it onto my PC, however usually what i do is download a few tracks first from the net - then if i like it enough ill buy the legit copy.

I have no problem admitting well over 50% of my CD's are burnt though.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
InitialD
Low and Loud

MP3's can be and most are better quality then CD's, just depends on what your playing them back on.

I wouldnt, as Im not fond of paying for things on the net as its not 100% secure.
So Ill stick to my bango, Now wheres the ZZTOP sheet music :P

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialD
MP3's can be and most are better quality then CD's, just depends on what your playing them back on.

I wouldnt, as Im not fond of paying for things on the net as its not 100% secure.
So Ill stick to my bango, Now wheres the ZZTOP sheet music :P
How are mp3's better quality than cd's? I thought that mp3's were generally a compressed down audio file, and by compression there is some loss of quality. I think you would have to get up to 320kbps before the quality was as good as a cd. Given that most mp3's are only 128 or 192 kbps I don't know how they could be better quality than a cd. On par to the average listener maybe, but definately not better.

Not trying to start an arguement with you, just stating what I believe to be the facts, correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, and I would never pay for a download of an mp3 - unless it wasn't available on a cd. I generally download a few songs, and if the band grabs me, I buy their cd. If not, they get deleted in the next 'crap music' purge.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why pay when you can get it for free? I'd pay for the songs i couldn't find on limewire
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #11
InitialD
Low and Loud

To my knowledge of downloading MP3's for many years aswell as creating them, that 128kbps was CD quality? Most of my Mp3's are 192kbps and sounds as good as the CD version

But i guess it really doesnt matter, aslong as your happy with the quality forwhich i am

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 09-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #12
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
To my knowledge of downloading MP3's for many years aswell as creating them, that 128kbps was CD quality? Most of my Mp3's are 192kbps and sounds as good as the CD version

But i guess it really doesnt matter, aslong as your happy with the quality forwhich i am
MP3's are a lossy compression format, that means that the lower the quality - the worse it sounds.

It works on a simple theory that a WAV file (a direct copy) of an Audio track could be, for example, 50megs in size. The usual 12:1 compression ratio for MP3s would put that file size at around 4.1megs.

CD quality is closest at 320kbps, but the file size is quite large accordingly. A geniunely regarded best compromise is around 192kbps, where the quality loss is not very audible.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #13
InitialD
Low and Loud

Well ok i should say then if they are MP4 format its equal to CD then?

Old 09-03-2005, 12:46 AM   #14
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I would say that anything that is 256kbps or above would be very hard to tell the difference through an average system. I am not really familiar with what exactly mp4 is. Years ago it was a stand alone file which played itself without a player like winamp, but I think it died a quiet death. If you are happy with it, play it, I was just stating how I feel about the general quality of low bitrate mp3's - fine for the PC or the iPod. But in a high grade home system, or even a high level car audio system, it has to be cd for me.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:06 AM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennXRT
Why pay when you can get it for free? I'd pay for the songs i couldn't find on limewire
My thoughts exactly.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #16
InitialD
Low and Loud

Ahh winamp, i think that died a quiet death when WINXP when public
good program thou

Old 09-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #17
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
good program thou
Do you mean the media player 10? I don't mind it, but I have just stuck by winamp because it does everything I need and isn't a system hog like media player. By WINXP I assume you mean Windows XP?
Old 09-03-2005, 01:17 AM   #18
ford_forever

the one question I always ask Is why would you buy want a cd full of mp3's when you could have a dvd full of cd quality or higher quality , maybee even mini dvd's for just your standard albums that'd be cool I rekon -- Push for technology I say --
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 01:36 AM   #19
mick.wheelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
CD quality is closest at 320kbps, but the file size is quite large accordingly. A geniunely regarded best compromise is around 192kbps, where the quality loss is not very audible.
this is why i rip all my cds at 320kbps, its the closest to cdquality, bar a wave file.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:16 AM   #20
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

I've found the whole digital music experience to be Off and On.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #21
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Suprisingly high about of banjo support here
Old 09-03-2005, 06:16 PM   #22
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

I want to know why they don't sell Premastered MD's here, (Md's that are prerecorded and come just like a regular store bought CD, with booklets and everything) They are all the rage at the moment in Japan/China/Korea, and have been for quite a while, some artists don't even release thier albums in CD format anymore. However, here people are buying iPods and things. The iPod failed miserably over there, instead the new trend is 128/256mb mp3 players that you hand from your neck...Wierd world, eh? :\
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #23
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
The iPod failed miserably over there, instead the new trend is 128/256mb mp3 players that you hand from your neck...Wierd world, eh? :\
That should explain why all the students from overseas(Asia) at my school all own those 128/256mb players :P
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #24
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
good program thou
I'm still using it... I think it's a mighty fine program, and prefer it to WMP10
Old 10-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #25
fordchick
To the Mess Mobile!

I love my winamp. Anytime i have changed to anything else is pales in comparison. And my computer can still handle it
I download alot of music, and if i really like the album, i will go out an buy it. Only artists who deserve my money will get it :P Techno one hit wonders anything rnb (maybe except beyonce.. she is fiiiinnnnee!) or rap i will just download... the songs i know i will get sick of. I pretty much stick to 128kb... seems a pretty good compromise for file size and quality... expecially cause i only have 4gb of space for mp3s.. which i have pretty much filled....

"Sparkes has a purple knob!"

Sparkles, the stuffed toys in my car add kilowatts i swear!! :

http://www.myspace.com/zomg
fordchick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #26
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I have a 128mb usb flash drive that I bought a long time ago and it has served well

I've also used Winamp for....probably 9 years of so now and even with WinXP - I still use it. Although, I still use 2.9something.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #27
okin

I wouldn't pay for mp3s. I'd prefer to spend money on original CDs, and build my music collection. It's something you can keep forever. Mp3s are 'throw away' in a sense. I don't receive an album cover, booklet, and all of that... When spending money, I prefer to get a physical thing. I keep all my original CDs, and would never get rid of them... it's purely a collection. Yes, mp3s are basically stealing. But to be honest, Alot of mp3 albums I've downloaded, and that I've really enjoyed, I've gone out and bought the original album for it. Might sound weird, but it's more of a materialistic thing to me. I love turning off my computer (on the very rare occasion) kickin back, and putting on an original CD album in my stereo. I'm a traditionalist, what can I say Alright, back to getting more drunk than I already am.
okin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2005, 01:16 AM   #28
Kermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
its great for music on the move, ie ipods and in car audio, but other then that its a step backwards in advancement in technology, as the quality of mp3's are not as good as cds and cd's have been around for over 15years now. I think its now time to have DVD audio in the mainstream, with dvd quality sound and 5.1

May I direct you attention to these articles......

http://www.avrev.com/news/0305/10.shuffle.html

http://www.avrev.com/news/0305/3.dualdisc.html

Tod.

(oh yeah, DEATH TO MP3!!!)

AUIII XR6 VCT - Venom Red

Modified JMM DEV1 VCT:- JMM Race headers, Redback cat back 2.5” exhaust, JMM hi flow cat, Modified airbox with pod filter & XR8 snorkel (JMM VCT Kit)
160rwkw

Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 08:36 PM   #29
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

I've recorded most of my old LP's at 128kbps on Adobe Audition because that's the rate they use at our local radio station (as most stations), so if you listen to the radio thats the quality your most likely hearing. Unless you have a "Very high" quality system you would hardly know the difference.

I also keep a complete back-up on a 160G external harddrive. (complete station playlist)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #30
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been playing with MP3s since napster became popular and they've always been the equivalent of what I did in the old days which was to raid my friends record collections every few months and make a mixed tape of the songs I liked. Every now and then I would find an artist I enjoyed and buy their record as a more permanent copy for my collection. Most of my records have only been played a few times as I've always listened to most of my music in the car. The only change digital music has made is that instead of spending 3 hours in front of the stereo dubbing a mixed tape I spend about the same time downloading and burning Mixed CD's.
The argument of the record companies that I am decreasing their sales is utter crap as my buying habits have only decreased with the tripe that they pass off as popular music at the moment. Australian Idle, BAH...
I've spent considerable effort to buy albums from bands I like that are not generally available in OZ but it is so hard to find good music commercially available these days.
/end rant

Regards,
Tote